The Student Room Group

Placement year finance?

I'm doing an upaid placement year next year (with the NHS, so it's definitely not something I'd get paid for!). How much are you entitled to with student finance? I normally get the loan and grant, does this stay the same or does the amount reduce?

Thanks
Original post by nikkila
I'm doing an upaid placement year next year (with the NHS, so it's definitely not something I'd get paid for!). How much are you entitled to with student finance? I normally get the loan and grant, does this stay the same or does the amount reduce?

Thanks

If your university requests that tuition fees are paid during this year, then you will still be entitled to your tuition fee loan.

I think you may be entitled to half the loan and grant, as you aren't being paid on your placement year.
Reply 2
Really depends, where is the placement and what role will you undertake? This will have an effect on whether you're entitled to full support or the half-rate mentioned above.
Reply 3
Original post by Taiko
Really depends, where is the placement and what role will you undertake? This will have an effect on whether you're entitled to full support or the half-rate mentioned above.

The job title is "honorary assistant clinical psychologist", as it's unpaid my unverisity will only allow me to work 4 days a week for 30-40 weeks (I can't remember the exact amount of weeks). It's with CAMHS, so it's part of the NHS.

I don't get any travelling expenses or anything from my placement, so am relying solely on student finance and my current part-time job which I will hopefully still have come next academic year. It's a completely unpaid year.
Reply 4
Looking at it, I would say it meets the criteria in Regulation 38(6)(b) of The Education (Student Support) Regulations, so you should receive the full levels of support that you would normally obtain. When applying for finance, you'll need to send a letter detailing exactly what you're doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending