The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schumacher
Really? We were all individually taken aside and briefed on it a while back. Very strange.

Wow lol.
The only reason I new anything about it was because of what people had posted on here. Literally.
Reply 8081
Original post by inksplodge
night shift IS hard work, esp if you've got day committments. i always book my shift off/move it if i have a lecture or whatever the next day, i couldn't physically cope with the lack of sleep!

I see what you mean, the manager took me round and showed me the amount of stuff that needs putting out within a couple of hours and it certainly is alot. My course is very light - in other words if fees were £9000, or even £6000 I'd tell the uni to stick the course up their backside :biggrin: We get stupidly little feedback/contact time compared to friends at other uni's on similar courses. So at the moment I'm doing volunteer work to fill my time and boost my CV - I would carry on doing it if I could but its reached the point now where I need some sort of paid work to afford rent etc.
Original post by MXz
I see what you mean, the manager took me round and showed me the amount of stuff that needs putting out within a couple of hours and it certainly is alot. My course is very light - in other words if fees were £9000, or even £6000 I'd tell the uni to stick the course up their backside :biggrin: We get stupidly little feedback/contact time compared to friends at other uni's on similar courses. So at the moment I'm doing volunteer work to fill my time and boost my CV - I would carry on doing it if I could but its reached the point now where I need some sort of paid work to afford rent etc.

after two days at work i literally cannot move on the third day >_< it really pushes me too far! lol. but you may as well try it and see how it goes- you can always ask to transfer depts if it is too much!
Reply 8083
Original post by Schumacher
From the top of my head it is roughly:

Log books to be removed :biggrin:
Quantity option gone
Grab locks gone
Now when asking for ID it is done through the screen (both on tills and self-scan)
ID options are OK, Acceptable ID, No ID, Unacceptable ID or something along these lines

They should be coming within the next few days (ours are tomorrow) and your supervisors should have made you aware of them too but haven't which is odd.

The options are actually along the lines of:

Underage

No ID

Intoxicated

Proxy

Police Officer

ID OK

I was looking through the paperwork they sent out and I think we get ours mid-may.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8084
Original post by Foulish
The options are actually along the lines of:

Underage

No ID

Intoxicated

Proxy

Police Officer

ID OK

I was looking through the paperwork they sent out and I think we get ours mid-may.

Apparently though, we can't refuse a Police officer in England, that only applies to Scotland & NI... first I heard of that was in my last T25 refresher training!

This upgrade is alright, it's stupid taking away the QTY button though, it's silly when you've got a box of wine, or a case of something to have to call the S/V over, too much work lol! Doesn't really help with IPM though, we usually get 19 average daily, but the day it went live we went down to 17. It may get better when people are used to it i guess.

The think 25 changes are pretty good though, don't know why they didn't think of it before now, saves a lot of time.

And finally self scan tills tell customers to remove their card - no more stacks of cards left behind
Original post by Oh-No!
Apparently though, we can't refuse a Police officer in England, that only applies to Scotland & NI... first I heard of that was in my last T25 refresher training!

This upgrade is alright, it's stupid taking away the QTY button though, it's silly when you've got a box of wine, or a case of something to have to call the S/V over, too much work lol! Doesn't really help with IPM though, we usually get 19 average daily, but the day it went live we went down to 17. It may get better when people are used to it i guess.

The think 25 changes are pretty good though, don't know why they didn't think of it before now, saves a lot of time.

And finally self scan tills tell customers to remove their card - no more stacks of cards left behind

I agree.

I didn't know that we couldn't serve a police officer though [or rather that you cannot in Scotland/NI] so I wondered why that was on the list lol.

The quantity button going is a pain. So many people buy boxes of wine and before you would press quantity 6 and scan one bottle. Now I keep getting funny looks as I scan one bottle through six times lol. [Doing it that way is much quicker than waiting for the supervisors - I know they have lots to do, so I am not criticising them, but they take a hell of a long time to come over. It is really awkward when you have a real problem and just have to wait and wait and wait.]
Reply 8086
Who has worked both in a Sainsburys Local and a Supermarket before? I'm working in a local currently and thinking of transferring to a bigger store, but im scared that you'll just get left in one position and I would get so bored with that... most the times when I go to work, i do something different than the week before
Original post by hassan90
Who has worked both in a Sainsburys Local and a Supermarket before? I'm working in a local currently and thinking of transferring to a bigger store, but im scared that you'll just get left in one position and I would get so bored with that... most the times when I go to work, i do something different than the week before

I've not worked in a local, just a big supermarket.

Sometimes, I spend all of my shift on the checkout/self-scan/kiosk. Often though, I am sent to other departments for at least part of the shift to do shelf stacking, particularly on fresh goods. I've also spent shifts working on the clothing department - putting items out and supervising the fitting rooms. Plus, the cafe. They like to send us up to the cafe, as it is often really busy up there.

At one stage, I had gone three weeks without working on my department because they had me on various others instead lol.

So, I'd guess that there is scope for working in various departments, depending on the needs of the store. :smile:

i always get the same **** every night. in a way its good cos you know where everything is, but i hate it because i get so bored - i like to do different things.
Reply 8089
Original post by inksplodge
i always get the same **** every night. in a way its good cos you know where everything is, but i hate it because i get so bored - i like to do different things.

Exactly, initially they employed me as a Baker, but I do that only sometimes now, im working cages, plinth changes for promotions, processes such as price-control, code-check, MAR report, FOA (if working nights), but hardly on tills, things like that is what makes me keep working, i reckon if i'd stayed on bakery for all this time I would have quit.

Thats the other good thing about Locals, you get to learn alot of things that I dont think you would in a larger supermarket
Reply 8090
Original post by Oh-No!

I think they changed the law on selling Alcohol to police officers in England at the time the Smoking age was increased to 18.
Reply 8091
Exactly, initially they employed me as a Baker, but I do that only sometimes now, im working cages, plinth changes for promotions, processes such as price-control, code-check, MAR report, FOA (if working nights), but hardly on tills, things like that is what makes me keep working, i reckon if i'd stayed on bakery for all this time I would have quit.

Thats the other good thing about Locals, you get to learn alot of things that I dont think you would in a larger supermarket

whats MAR?
Original post by Foulish
whats MAR?

Merchandising Action Report, basically a list of lines that need something doing to them; all the unscanned gaps from yesterdays FOA and any lines that need to be dressed off etc..
Hi., does anyone know when our 15% discount for Easter starts? Thanks
Original post by perfectimperfection
Hi., does anyone know when our 15% discount for Easter starts? Thanks

14th of April, to the 4th of May :smile:
Do you have to work every weekend at Sainsbury's?
Also can anybody tell me what a Code Controller does? Thanks.
Original post by kittycake

I don't think so. It will depend on your contracted hours. Some contracts have fixed hours every week, others have varying hours etc.

If you have a look back through the most recent pages of the thread, there have been quite a few posts about Code Controllers that might help. :smile:
Original post by kittycake

if your contracted hours are weekends, then yeah every weekend unless you're on holiday!
Reply 8098
does anyone know when the next pay day is?
Reply 8099
Original post by affinity89
Wow lol.
The only reason I new anything about it was because of what people had posted on here. Literally.

haha same :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending