The Student Room Group

If a guy says "I love you" after like a day into your relationship, do you run?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The TSR Star.
But surely romantic love develops after you actually like go into a proper relationship?

Only the fool would say love works in only one way.
Why is everyone standing up for him? Is he socially inept?

I wouldn't run, but I would be put off. Yes, he may love me- especially as that love would have developed from a 9 month long friendship...but for him to put you in that position is really insensitive and unfair. I wouldn't doubt that he was being insincere, but he certainly sounds rather clingy already.

I'd want someone to say 'I love you' when the relationship has been going a few months and you're both sure of each others feelings. This word gets tossed around too much.
Reply 22
this is scary or ridiculous. so I would be scared or I would laugh and I wpould never believe it.
My ex boyfriend told me he loved me a week into our relationship. We'd been friends for a year and a half. He cheated on me and we broke up after two months. Now we don't speak at all.
Just sayin'.
Sounds like it's a bit early but if he's sure then you never know. It might be genuine.
In which case don't throw it away
Original post by mikeyd85
Only the fool would say love works in only one way.

Erm, okay?
Reply 26
But surely romantic love develops after you actually like go into a proper relationship?

That's what you think, but the truth is different. Guys are more straightforward when it comes to express their feelings, so I'm not surprised about your reaction as a girl :cool:. For most girls it takes ages to tell the guy that they love him :s-smilie:
Boyfriend and I had been friends for 3 years before we got together, and he's admitted readily that he's loved me for at least 2 of them. So I wouldn't really have been freaked out by him saying I love you.
Similarly, I wasn't freaked out by saying I loved him, because it was already true - I did love him, as a friend, and then as more.
my ex said he loved me from the moment he saw me.

liar.
I had known my bf for less than ten days when we started going out. The following night on the phone, he told me he loved me.

Over a year and a bit later, he told me back then it probably wasn't love, but he knew it would be - and he certainly loves me now. <3

However, in your case, he has known you for over 9 months! I'm pretty sure that as little as 4-5 months is enough for a person to fall in love with another and know for certain they would like something long-term with them...
No, because firstly, 9 months being best friends is a long enough time to fall in love with someone, and secondly, even if you had just met a week ago, it's possible to fall in love that quickly, but I would still take it with a pinch of salt, because of the whole trying to get in your pants thing. But he probably does love you, otherwise it's unlikely that he would have said it.
If you've been best friends for a while ~9months, then a week or so after officially being boyfriend and girlfriend, he says "I love you". What would you think? It's still a bit early though isn't it? Would it be wrong of me to say "no, you dont.."

Uhm, it's difficult to say. It depends on your definition of 'love' really. Personally, I'd say yes, it's a little early. Although he's had 9 months to be close to you, I don't think you can really love a friend in the same way as you do a boyfriend/girlfriend. It might be a bit harsh to say "no, you don't," though. I wouldn't run just yet, but if he starts getting clingy, then yes, do (unless that doesn't bother you).
Reply 32
"That's nice, but I'm in a relationship."
Love is just a word.
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
No, because firstly, 9 months being best friends is a long enough time to fall in love with someone, and secondly, even if you had just met a week ago, it's possible to fall in love that quickly, but I would still take it with a pinch of salt, because of the whole trying to get in your pants thing. But he probably does love you, otherwise it's unlikely that he would have said it.

I'd say falling in love within a week is infatuation/lust. The word "love" is overused these days - it's meant to describe the sort of emotion where you would do anything for anyone; where you would always put them first even if the consequences for you weren't so great; where you're completely at ease to be yourself around them; and to an extent, where you've shared intimacy with each other. A week isn't enough to develop such a strong emotion as love.
Maybe not run, but *definitely* be on guard!... How old is he? 8 :s-smilie:
Original post by Rascacielos
I'd say falling in love within a week is infatuation/lust. The word "love" is overused these days - it's meant to describe the sort of emotion where you would do anything for anyone; where you would always put them first even if the consequences for you weren't so great; where you're completely at ease to be yourself around them; and to an extent, where you've shared intimacy with each other. A week isn't enough to develop such a strong emotion as love.

I agree completely with your definition of love, but I do still believe that it's possible to have that kind of connection after a relatively short amount of time :smile:
I don't know.
If I'd known him as a friend for a while and then he said "I love you" but in a friendly way, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But if I hadn't known him as a friend beforehand and he said "I love you" then I'd be very wary of whatever else he was telling me.
Reply 38
If you've been best friends for a while ~9months, then a week or so after officially being boyfriend and girlfriend, he says "I love you". What would you think? It's still a bit early though isn't it? Would it be wrong of me to say "no, you dont.."

Please, use contraception for the next 30 years of your life.

Please.
Original post by chrislpp
Please, use contraception for the next 30 years of your life.

Please.

huh???????????????/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending