The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsrayray:)
Don't panic:smile:
What are your aiming for experience wise?

Well I just want enough so that I can be at least slightly competative! I also need to volunteer soon as possible :eek:
Original post by Quackers93
:tongue:

I have no idea why, but for some reason I thought you were a reapplicant/slightly older (by that I mean in your second year). Think its just been the impression I've gotten from reading your posts :tongue: I guess if your are immature - at least your writting doesn't seem it which will help in your ps

Hahah, really? Thanks, I think it's much easier to come across as mature on forums. IRL, I have a really stupid voice that makes me sound like I'm only half-listening and like my head's in the clouds which detracts from any prospective mature-ness :p:

If that's true, the poor interviewers will be so gutted when they meet me and realise I am immature and still make ya ma jokes on a regular basis.

On the topic of interviews, I was thinking the other day: do you think interviewers ever get nervous? I would feel so reassured if they did! :colondollar: How do they even pick interviewers?
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I think that the vast majority of evidence is in favour of early patient contact. If there is a problem then it won't go away in 2 or 3 years. The unis (and patients i'm sure :tongue:) would rather that any issues are dealt with sooner rather than later, after you've potentially wasted 3 years learning theory.

It is a steep learning curve and it isn't pleasant, but the drop out rates are not massive. Most people adapt fairly quickly.

I don't regret going off to study medicine, not one bit. It would be a shame if people who would make good doctors were put off by worry :smile:

Haha, fair point. I was thinking that no patient contact would give you a few years to develop skills for patient communication but it doesn't really work like that I guess. Nothing beats learning through mistakes.

A steep learning curve that never really levels off, from the sounds of it. :eek: I dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

That's amazing to hear, really encouraging. Medicine sounds like it's ups and downs but ultimately the ups outweigh the downs. I'm actually getting excited now, it sounds like such a strange experience, studying (and even applying for, tbh) medicine.
Reply 1123
went to a medicine talk last week and got told 10% of applicants get an offer and that med schools reject 80% of applications :s-smilie:
Original post by cz100
went to a medicine talk last week and got told 10% of applicants get an offer and that med schools reject 80% of applications :s-smilie:

I thought it was more like 60% get 4 rejections. Maybe the past few years really have driven up the competition to yet more insane levels :frown:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Haha, fair point. I was thinking that no patient contact would give you a few years to develop skills for patient communication but it doesn't really work like that I guess. Nothing beats learning through mistakes.

A steep learning curve that never really levels off, from the sounds of it. :eek: I dunno if that's a good or bad thing.

That's amazing to hear, really encouraging. Medicine sounds like it's ups and downs but ultimately the ups outweigh the downs. I'm actually getting excited now, it sounds like such a strange experience, studying (and even applying for, tbh) medicine.

I can't really express what it is like. You have to experience it :smile:

So far it has been worth it :smile:
Reply 1126
I thought it was more like 60% get 4 rejections. Maybe the past few years really have driven up the competition to yet more insane levels :frown:

They were the numbers we got told, I thought it was 60% getting 4 rejections as well before that. I don't know if fees will change that at all next year

what year are you in
Original post by SteveCrain
what year are you in

1st :smile:
Original post by cz100
They were the numbers we got told, I thought it was 60% getting 4 rejections as well before that. I don't know if fees will change that at all next year

Goodness knows :s-smilie:
Original post by cz100

I expect that's for each individual medical school, seeing as you make 4 applications the odds of getting in are more like 40%.
1st :smile:

regrets? what would you have gone for, if not medicinne

I love being young and having all these experiences yet to come. Such a cliche, but so true. :p:
Original post by cz100

A Manchester ambassador at a UCAS fair I went to said you need 6 weeks of work experience to apply. :colonhash: I think we need to block these people out before getting too depressed haha.
Reply 1134
A Manchester ambassador at a UCAS fair I went to said you need 6 weeks of work experience to apply. :colonhash: I think we need to block these people out before getting too depressed haha.

Yes, I was told the exact same thing at the UCAS fair! And it has to be with both children and elderly people. Let me rule out Manchester immediately.

I'll agree with you on the blocking people out part, one of my friends told a teacher he wanted to do medicine, and then she started laughing at him (total bitch)
Original post by JChoudhry

Original post by JChoudhry
Where can I do a practice UKCAT test?

There are some on the UKCAT website, www.ukcat.ac.uk I think
Original post by Normandy114
Yes, I realise that, but I think it'd be a good idea to get that as well so that I can demonstrate things like empathy skills, teamwork etcetera, and the GP's office would be good to show insight into medicine. Just trying to get a decent amount done now so that I'm not clutching at straws when it comes to writing a personal statement.

My sister (who is far too busy as a first year medic to be on TSR) had very little work experience ( 1 week at GPs) and helping out for an hour a week at a special needs school for 6 months and 3 months helping with riding for the disabled once a week. She got offers from Cambridge and Nottingham.
Original post by cz100
Yes, I was told the exact same thing at the UCAS fair! And it has to be with both children and elderly people. Let me rule out Manchester immediately.

I don't believe it, who gets 6 weeks work experience?! It'd be so impossible unless you slept with Andrew Lansley or something!

I might have to ask Manc about this work exp thing. :s-smilie:
Reply 1139
Original post by Normandy114
I'll agree with you on the blocking people out part, one of my friends told a teacher he wanted to do medicine, and then she started laughing at him (total bitch)

Our careers teacher frequently tells us that we are not going to get a job, and that if we do we'll work for at least the next 60 years and still end up with no pension. Oh and that we should all get jobs as undertakers because then we'd never be out of work.

Latest

Trending

Trending