The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cz100
Yes, I was told the exact same thing at the UCAS fair! And it has to be with both children and elderly people. Let me rule out Manchester immediately.

They are taking a leaf out the vet school's book. They expect a portfolio (as do dentistry usually) and they want so many weeks dairy, so many equine yada yada :rolleyes:
Reply 1141
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I don't believe it, who gets 6 weeks work experience?! It'd be so impossible unless you slept with Andrew Lansley or something!

I might have to ask Manc about this work exp thing. :s-smilie:

I'm thinking that volunteer exp might be included as well?
Original post by Normandy114
I'll agree with you on the blocking people out part, one of my friends told a teacher he wanted to do medicine, and then she started laughing at him (total bitch)

Omg, that's awful. :eek: What a counter-productive and immature thing to do! I really hope this boy gets in. :mad:
I don't believe it, who gets 6 weeks work experience?! It'd be so impossible unless you slept with Andrew Lansley or something!

I might have to ask Manc about this work exp thing. :s-smilie:

:cool:
Original post by cz100
I'm thinking that volunteer exp might be included as well?

That would make sense, actually. :colondollar: But by 6 weeks do you think they mean 42 days or a commitment lasting 6 weeks?
Original post by cz100
Our careers teacher frequently tells us that we are not going to get a job, and that if we do we'll work for at least the next 60 years and still end up with no pension. Oh and that we should all get jobs as undertakers because then we'd never be out of work.

Death and taxes, the only two guarantees in life...

Omg, that's awful. :eek: What a counter-productive and immature thing to do! I really hope this boy gets in. :mad:

I know, the bad thing is she's his tutor, so she writes his reference.
Original post by SteveCrain
regrets? what would you have gone for, if not medicinne

Law. Or another arts degree.

Medicine is interesting, but I doubt I would be committed enough to do biomed or another science for 4 years :frown:
Reply 1147
I am studying biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. Our college has a new rule whereby you either have to carry on with all 4 subjects at A2 level, drop one and take an EPQ, drop one and take critical thinking, or drop one and take OCR text processing.

I think I am going to drop psychology (because I enjoy it least) and do an Extended Project. Is this advisable? Or would I be better off continuing on with psychology?
What a counter-productive and immature thing to do! I really hope this boy gets in. :mad:

For a teacher to laugh at your wishes to study medicine, you must have a very poor academic record and/or be completely immature. Neither of these traits are conducive to success or confidence.

On the off chance, the teacher may be a tard, but, that is the off chance.
Reply 1149
That would make sense, actually. :colondollar: But by 6 weeks do you think they mean 42 days or a commitment lasting 6 weeks?

I don't know, but I'd say it's more likely to be 6 normal weeks with 5 working days in each week if it's real work exp and 42 days if it's including volunteering. But that's only my guess, I haven't looked at Manc because I immediately put off when I heard that.
Original post by lolo-x
I am studying biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. Our college has a new rule whereby you either have to carry on with all 4 subjects at A2 level, drop one and take an EPQ, drop one and take critical thinking, or drop one and take OCR text processing.

I think I am going to drop psychology (because I enjoy it least) and do an Extended Project. Is this advisable? Or would I be better off continuing on with psychology?

It depends where you are going to apply - Cambridge require 3 A2s out of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths.
Reply 1151
Original post by Got the tshirt
It depends where you are going to apply - Cambridge require 3 A2s out of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths.

I'm thinking King's College London, maybe Leeds, maybe Manchester.
Reply 1152

I felt exactly the same for another boy I saw at a medical symposium. He went with about 10 or 15 people from his school and they sat in some seats near the front, then when he sat down the same row all the people who had already sat down got up and moved to the other side of the aisle, leaving him on his own.
Reply 1153
That makes sense. If only work exp was easier to get! :p:
What about the volunteer stuff and the skills from that, do you think it's relevant once (if) a person gets in?

I don't know. :tongue:

I'm guessing personally it wouldn't be much good, as what I've got hasn't been particulary useful (other than for my UCAS form), as lot of it was just sitting around watching not doing much rather than actively being involved, applying knowledge etc (though I will obviously jazz it up a bit for my PS haha). Maybe I'm wrong though - I guess we'll just have to see!
Original post by cz100
I felt exactly the same for another boy I saw at a medical symposium. He went with about 10 or 15 people from his school and they sat in some seats near the front, then when he sat down the same row all the people who had already sat down got up and moved to the other side of the aisle, leaving him on his own.

Would I be correct in assuming you went and sat with him, or at least introduced him to your clan?
For a teacher to laugh at your wishes to study medicine, you must have a very poor academic record and/or be completely immature. Neither of these traits are conducive to success or confidence.

I must disagree. Teachers are usually extremely professional, intelligent people who know a lot about teaching. But often they have no idea how the application process works now.

I have heard an endless string of examples of teachers either writing off pupils who could/have got in, or saying people who blatantly haven't got the grades (BBBBC in this case at Higher) should apply to medicine when there was no way they would get in.

Believe me, she's a tard.
Original post by lolo-x
I'm thinking King's College London, maybe Leeds, maybe Manchester.

Its still probably best to stick with Bio, Chem and Maths as they are considered solid A2s by all universities though I'm not sure if Kings favour a less traditional third A2.
Reply 1158
Original post by Got the tshirt
Its still probably best to stick with Bio, Chem and Maths as they are considered solid A2s by all universities though I'm not sure if Kings favour a less traditional third A2.

That's good, they are my 3 favourites. If you were me, would you carry on with all 4 subjects to A2 level or would you drop psychology and do a medicine-related EPQ?
Reply 1159
Would I be correct in assuming you went and sat with him, or at least introduced him to your clan?

Well no. Another boy from his school from the row behind went and sat beside him. All the ones who had left were giggling girls who looked like they were there to get a day off school