The Student Room Group

When should i start looking for a summer job? (Year 11)

I am in Year 11, (already 16) and am planning on getting a job as soon as I can so i can actually buy some decent stuff without having to beg my parents:colondollar:
I am aware that, even if i wanted a job now, i have to wait till the last Friday of June. My parents however, who also seem really eager for me to get a job (wonder why...), have been nagging me to start looking now. I've been ignoring them as surely i cant look for jobs if i'm ineligible to work? Or are they right?

I'm content to wait till June but i am also fully aware of the competition for jobs and if I'm able to start looking now then I'll do it.

Thankyou :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Start looking in the middle of June;fewer notice time and close to the date of school leavers age. I've applied to 5 since January and have had 4 rejections.
Reply 2
I'd say now!
Reply 3
Now!
Reply 4
Original post by alevels

Original post by alevels
Now!

Original post by deadwing
I'd say now!

Really? But would employers take me seriously when i cant work properly till the last Friday of June?
Reply 5
now, all emplyers will ask you when your available to start, so write that down. it will take you ages to fine a job. trust me. and everyone else will be looking for summer jobs.

you get uni students coming back end of may...
Reply 6
I'm fairly sure you can work from your 16th birthday.

Seriously apply now to as many places as possible, even if they are your "last resorts" (i.e. cleaning/mcdonalds). Getting any job these days is VERY difficult and people struggle for many months, possibly because they are picky but more because of the competition. Don't be surprised if you cannot get a job over summer but keep applying all through and after, many companies hire a large amount of people from september-november as they lose staff that go to uni and as the amount of customers increase on the lead up to christmas.
Reply 7
Wow, ok, thanks guys, i was scared about that, waiting till June then not getting a job anywhere, so I'll start now, and keep my fingers crossed.
So I guess i just apply everywhere online? I get the sense that stores dont generally pay any attention when you hand in CV's?
Reply 8
Great even more people to compete with..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending