The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I'll let you know if I find out. I hope it's not true, tbh even 42 days of volunteering is quite a big expectation. :s-smilie: I really love Manc, it's PBL, in a big city, plus they offer European Studies.

I got the mark scheme for a Manc interview. It goes like
Reasons for choosing medicine /20
Work exp & general knowledge of healthcare /10
interpretation of work exp /10
determination/conscientious /20
teamwork /10
interests/hobbies/sport /5
written communication skills /5
intellectual ability /20

total is 100 and threshold for rejection was 75 and below
Original post by Normandy114
You could look at the medical applicant profiles for the successful Manchester ones. I've having a look now and most do seem to have several weeks of clinical work experience :s-smilie:.

That is a really good idea. You have initiative, something to add to the PS. :colone:

Really? Oh, damnnnnn. I think I could get some work exp abroad, would that count? :s-smilie:
Anyone else treating this half term as study leave?
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay thanks! That's annoying how long Dundee took :/

How did you decide where to apply to? :smile:

Well I wasn't going to leave Scotland (not paying that thank you very much)

And there only 5 unis which do med and one is St Andrew's (which involves moving after 3 years and is hampered by being in St Andrew's :rolleyes:)
Original post by cz100
Imagine if he was the only one who got in out of everyone in his school :colone:

It would so serve them right!
Original post by liviaaa
Haha...dramaa!

Lol, I know, right? Embarrassing thing is the horse was actually a pony shorter than me. :emo:
Reply 1186
That is a really good idea. You have initiative, something to add to the PS. :colone:

Really? Oh, damnnnnn. I think I could get some work exp abroad, would that count? :s-smilie:

Work exp abroad could look better... you've travelled allllll that way to get it? Just an idea, haha.
Reply 1187
Original post by navarre
Anyone else treating this half term as study leave?

If you mean revising most of it then yes.. :smile:
Original post by cz100
I got the mark scheme for a Manc interview. It goes like
Reasons for choosing medicine /20
Work exp & general knowledge of healthcare /10
interpretation of work exp /10
determination/conscientious /20
teamwork /10
interests/hobbies/sport /5
written communication skills /5
intellectual ability /20

total is 100 and threshold for rejection was 75 and below

Thanks for that. :biggrin:

That's really.... hard. Wow. It also seems subjective, scarily but I guess that's unavoidable. :s-smilie:
Original post by liviaaa
Work exp abroad could look better... you've travelled allllll that way to get it? Just an idea, haha.

Well, we're travelling there anyway to see family but yeah. :p: Only thing is it won't teach me much about how the NHS functions and stuff so I dunno. :/ Could be interesting to compare and contrast but I'll feel like such a pest haha.
Reply 1190
Original post by liviaaa

hmmm do you reckon travelling from NI to Enland would count as 'abroad' ?:tongue:

Haha, my initiative is limited to the Internet :P

Work experience abroad would probably still count, but you'd have to be careful how you put it, as foreign healthcare systems obviously work differently to ones here, so the roles of doctors may vary. I wouldn't say it's not worth it by a long shot, just you'll have to be careful about it.
Reply 1192
GCSE's for me where A*A*AAAAAAABBBC
Got B's in my Biology + Chem AS Jan modules, just working extra hard to push up my AS grades to an A to give me a healthy start in the next academic year.
I was thinking about Southampton, Hull, Oxford and w.e
I honestly don't think i'll make the cut, but having the motivation for medicine, should get me through my A Levels with ok grades!
Good luck everyone hope you all save thousands of lives :smile:
Reply 1193
Original post by liviaaa
Yay same levels as me :smile: I'm dropping psychology also.

I would suggest taking up the Extended project as you can tailor that to medicine, and make it something that stands out on your UCAS, rather than a subject which they don't rate too highly of anyway. :smile:

yeah! i have decided :biggrin: i trying to work out what to do for the extended project now.. considering looking at infant mortality rates in different countries and looking into reasons why etc.. or maybe childhood vaccinations and parents or something..
Reply 1194
Well, we're travelling there anyway to see family but yeah. :p: Only thing is it won't teach me much about how the NHS functions and stuff so I dunno. :/ Could be interesting to compare and contrast but I'll feel like such a pest haha.

Haha they wouldn't know that :tongue:

Yes I guess but in the medical Newcastle prospectus, it says you go abroad for 8 weeks "to gain hands-on experience of a different health care system."

Another prospectus (can't find it right now..) also says they look for candidates who have medical and TRAVEL experience.
Reply 1195
Original post by Got the tshirt
I'd definately drop the 4th subject and go for an EPQ. No uni gives 4 A2 offers for medicine as a norm. My sister initially started year 13 doing 4 A2s but after speaking to Cambridge dropped further maths before October 15th ( to ensure it wasn't included in her offer).

excellent, thank you! :smile:
Reply 1196
Original post by lolo-x
yeah! i have decided :biggrin: i trying to work out what to do for the extended project now.. considering looking at infant mortality rates in different countries and looking into reasons why etc.. or maybe childhood vaccinations and parents or something..

Oh okay intersting! You sound very like me, as I want to work in paedatrics/neonatal too :smile:
Original post by Normandy114
Haha, my initiative is limited to the Internet :P

Work experience abroad would probably still count, but you'd have to be careful how you put it, as foreign healthcare systems obviously work differently to ones here, so the roles of doctors may vary. I wouldn't say it's not worth it by a long shot, just you'll have to be careful about it.

Unis don't need to know that. :p:

Yeah, that's very true. It's so confusing what with the NHS changes and all that, I barely understand what's going on in this healthcare system let alone one abroad. :p:
Original post by liviaaa
Haha they wouldn't know that :tongue:

Yes I guess but in the medical Newcastle prospectus, it says you go abroad for 8 weeks "to gain hands-on experience of a different health care system."

Another prospectus (can't find it right now..) also says they look for candidates who have medical and TRAVEL experience.

I'm convinced, I think I'll go for it. If anything, it'll help me see the stresses medical staff are under. And it might be hands on because of fewer regulations? :smile:

My friend's bro did some work exp in Iraq and and apparently they asked him about it in interviews so I guess that's a good sign.

I'm gonna have to apply for this other place. :colone: I'd actually want to go to Newcastle uni but I live here and I want to move out.
Unis don't need to know that. :p:

Yeah, that's very true. It's so confusing what with the NHS changes and all that, I barely understand what's going on in this healthcare system let alone one abroad. :p:

Ahem. NHS England and Wales changes. We only implement the good ideas...:tongue:

The average clinician goes through 5 NHS reforms in their career, the unis will just want you to understand the drift of it. Especially considering the fact that there may be a completely different government when you graduate....with their own 'progressive' ideas :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending