The Student Room Group

No A's No Dentistry?

I'm currently in my first year of my a levels(English language, English Literature, Philosopy and sociology). However I keep reverting back to wanting to become a dentist so I have decided to start my a-levels in chemistry and biology(or human biology) next year (and finish 2 of my other a levels). I did get A's for applied science in my G.C.S.E's however I think I might struggle at A level. Most of my alevels(apart from critical thinking-a) I am getting B's. If this trend continues with my sciences will this mean it will be difficult, if not impossible to get into Uni in this area?

(Extra question: which would uni's most likely prefer for denistry, human or normal biology?)

(I am at a college so I will be paying to complete these A levels in science)
Dentistry is a very competitive course, and as you probably know most Universities have the grade requirement AAA at A-Level, one of those being Chemistry, one being Biology (or if not, Biology at AS level).
I think only a few Universities have the entry requirement AAB, if not any anymore, and I'm sure Birmingham/Bristol (can't remember which one) were thinking of putting their requirements up to A*AA

So the answer to your question is yes, it will be basically impossible to do Dentistry at University if you get B's.

Chemistry and Biology are challenging A-levels, and I'm not quite sure as you didn't make this clear, but are you doing them both in 1 year? Or will you be applying for 2013 entry and staying an extra year in college?

If you're fast-tracking and doing them both in 1 year, I honestly think that you will struggle. They are demanding A levels, and although I cannot speak for the English's they are much harder than Philosophy and Sociology (my close friend study these as well as Bio & Chem and have said this) in terms of content and workload. My friend who got an A's in her Philosophy and Sociology got a B in her Chemistry and a C in her Biology. Although I obviously can't say this will be the same for you, its just good advice worth bearing in mind.

They require a lot of time and effort to succeed in, and cramming them both into 1 year for 2012 entry may mean you sacrifice your other subjects, meaning that you don't end up with the required 3 A's.

I would have a word with a teacher at college who will able to asses whether you're capable of coping with them, otherwise there are other options to study dentistry with foundation years after other degrees. As I said, speak to someone at your college as they can assess you far better than I can over a computer screen.

(Extra question: which would uni's most likely prefer for denistry, human or normal biology?)

As far as I'm aware, Uni's regard these as the same thing. Some Uni websites say "Biology at grade A - if not biology Human Biology grade A is accepted as an alternative".
However, on some Uni websites it just states Biology, so if you have a choice, just study Biology. :smile:

Hope I helped in some way!
Reply 2
I am defiantely not going to study them in one year, I'm paying to do a third year, i have been looking at dentistry courses without a science(I know bristol do one but they only have 5 places) I'm not sure how you would go about proving you are worth entry to this without sciences.
Reply 3
((Though I do think, it depends on how you learn as to how you do in a subject. I mean some people can learn math easy but not english etc. I got high A's in my G.C.S.E for science whereas only C's for french and B's for psychology. ))
It'll be biology as there's more chem involved
What about a course like the one offered at UoM:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2011/atoz/course/index.htm?code=00399&pg=3

They don't care as much about science A levels and the requirements are a little lower (ABB) BUT it is a 6 year course, so it's basically like doing a foundation year and then Dentistry? I'd imagine some other Uni's might offer something similar but UoM isn't a bad University anyway; it's in the Russell Group.
Reply 6
I wanna dentistry but so so worried that I'm not gonna get those As, espeshially in chem! D:
Reply 7
Yeah, scary thohgt I'm looking at predental courses now
Reply 8
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
What about a course like the one offered at UoM:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2011/atoz/course/index.htm?code=00399&pg=3

They don't care as much about science A levels and the requirements are a little lower (ABB) BUT it is a 6 year course, so it's basically like doing a foundation year and then Dentistry? I'd imagine some other Uni's might offer something similar but UoM isn't a bad University anyway; it's in the Russell Group.

I didn't do the foundation course at Manchester but on behalf of my colleagues who did I can thoroughly recommend it. According to this website there are 10 places that offer such a course, not necessarily linked to an undergraduate degree, allowing you to chop and change:

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students/Courses/Pages/Foundation-Pre-clinical-year.aspx
(edited 13 years ago)
I knew there would be more of them :smile: I'd definitely say that a course like this or a foundation year would be your best bet OP.

Quick Reply

Latest