The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay intersting! You sound very like me, as I want to work in paedatrics/neonatal too :smile:

haha thats weird! yeah i do :smile: i'm doing work experience week shadowing a paediatric consultant in june, i can't wait!
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
:cool:

Totally late reply but I bet medic applicants would gladly go that far for work exp, haha.

And I would actually sleep with Nick Clegg. :ninja:

What about you? Any guilty crushes? :p:
Reply 1202
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I'm convinced, I think I'll go for it. If anything, it'll help me see the stresses medical staff are under. And it might be hands on because of fewer regulations? :smile:

My friend's bro did some work exp in Iraq and and apparently they asked him about it in interviews so I guess that's a good sign.

I'm gonna have to apply for this other place. :colone: I'd actually want to go to Newcastle uni but I live here and I want to move out.

Yes go for it! What country is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I really like the look of Newscastle :smile: How is it as a city? (I have the same feeling towards Leeds... haha)
Reply 1203
Original post by lolo-x
haha thats weird! yeah i do :smile: i'm doing work experience week shadowing a paediatric consultant in june, i can't wait!

Ohh jealous!

I did some work at a baby clinic, which was soooo cute and also a midwifery clinic - but it was a pre-natal clinic so no actual babies..
Totally late reply but I bet medic applicants would gladly go that far for work exp, haha.

And I would actually sleep with Nick Clegg. :ninja:

What about you? Any guilty crushes? :p:

No. Just no.
Original post by lolo-x

A child doctor?! Why have I never heard of this wonder child before? :tongue:
Reply 1206

Lol? What do you mean :tongue:
Ahem. NHS England and Wales changes. We only implement the good ideas...:tongue:

The average clinician goes through 5 NHS reforms in their career, the unis will just want you to understand the drift of it. Especially considering the fact that there may be a completely different government when you graduate....with their own 'progressive' ideas :cool:

Scottish NHS isn't changing? :eek: But then again you guys are having an election soon, aren't you? You might be in the same boat as England/Wales soon enough. :p:
Seriously, I'm clueless. The GP I shadowed taught me about how funding works now but we didn't talk about the reforms that much... to be honest he seemed quite confused about it as well.

5 REFORMS? Jesus Christ! If a person works for 40ish years, that's a reform every 8ish years! :eek: At least these ones are "on hold". I like to believe it's because of the Andrew Lansley rap. :p:
Original post by liviaaa
Lol? What do you mean :tongue:

Consultant paediatricians treat children. A paediatric consultant is an infant who consults :tongue:
Reply 1209
hey guys, just thought to drop in...lool

there is a course called potmed @ imperial it comes around September time look out for it!!!!

they also give a full panel mock interview which is really useful!!
Reply 1210
Consultant paediatricians treat children. A paediatric consultant is an infant who consults :tongue:

Oops...that's me being dim, haha. That's funny though :biggrin:
Original post by liviaaa
Yes go for it! What country is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I really like the look of Newscastle :smile: How is it as a city? (I have the same feeling towards Leeds... haha)

Algeria. I think their system is free but a bit rubbish.

I really like it. :smile: It's historical and the architecture around town is quite nice. Also, it's close to the countryside and to the beach and there's museums and galleries and whatnot to go to. Apparently the medical school is amazing, but i dunno much about it. Also, at the UCAS fair, they had a talk on student life and apparently Newcastle is the 9th best city in the world for nightlife? :dontknow:

You've clearly never heard of Doogie Howser MD :tongue:
Scottish NHS isn't changing? :eek: But then again you guys are having an election soon, aren't you? You might be in the same boat as England/Wales soon enough. :p:
Seriously, I'm clueless. The GP I shadowed taught me about how funding works now but we didn't talk about the reforms that much... to be honest he seemed quite confused about it as well.

5 REFORMS? Jesus Christ! If a person works for 40ish years, that's a reform every 8ish years! :eek: At least these ones are "on hold". I like to believe it's because of the Andrew Lansley rap. :p:

Well it will be changing, but not in the same way that it will be for you guys. No doubt things will change again after the election :smile:

The problem is that UK policies tend not to work in Scotland. More people live in London than in Scotland :s-smilie: And the population is so spread out that you end up with the situation in NHS Highland with one maternity hospital covering an area the size of Belgium :s-smilie: Hence why they kind of have to be managed differently.
Reply 1214
Algeria. I think their system is free but a bit rubbish.

I really like it. :smile: It's historical and the architecture around town is quite nice. Also, it's close to the countryside and to the beach and there's museums and galleries and whatnot to go to. Apparently the medical school is amazing, but i dunno much about it. Also, at the UCAS fair, they had a talk on student life and apparently Newcastle is the 9th best city in the world for nightlife? :dontknow:

Oh okay, cool. :smile:

I use to live abroad for a few years.. do you think it's worth mentioning in my PS, that I had the understanding of a different health care system?

Okay, thanks! The one thing that puts me off Newcastle med school, is that apparently you move around a LOT with placements etc? :/
No. Just no.

:teehee:
Well it will be changing, but not in the same way that it will be for you guys. No doubt things will change again after the election :smile:

The problem is that UK policies tend not to work in Scotland. More people live in London than in Scotland :s-smilie: And the population is so spread out that you end up with the situation in NHS Highland with one maternity hospital covering an area the size of Belgium :s-smilie: Hence why they kind of have to be managed differently.

That'll be interesting to see. What do you predict the changes'll be like?

Wow, that is pretty crazy. How do they deal with that in terms of management?
Original post by liviaaa
Oh okay, cool. :smile:

I use to live abroad for a few years.. do you think it's worth mentioning in my PS, that I had the understanding of a different health care system?

Okay, thanks! The one thing that puts me off Newcastle med school, is that apparently you move around a LOT with placements etc? :/

Well, my friend lived abroad for a few years (she's lived in America and UAE) and she mentioned it in her PS... but I think she talked about the different cultures she'd encountered and how it would help her appreciate patient's views and stuff and how it improved her communication skills or something. I do think mentioning an appreciation of a different healthcare system is a good idea, but I guess it just depends on how much space you have on your PS.
Where did you used to live, out of interest? :smile:

I'm not sure if you do. :s-smilie: I'll ask my friend (same one as was mentioned above actually :p:) cos she's starting at Newcastle next year so she'll know more about the course.
I'll let you know if I find out. I hope it's not true, tbh even 42 days of volunteering is quite a big expectation. :s-smilie: I really love Manc, it's PBL, in a big city, plus they offer European Studies.

The European Studies thing's really cool - would really love to take German on the side if I got in :love:
Reply 1219

ha ha good one :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending