The Student Room Group

Manchester or Barts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thewiseone
I think you're forgetting that Manchester Medical school is in.. ahem... MANCHESTER:

Hah that's quite funny, that generally sums up the north of England though.
Let's face it though, the location of manc med school is much nicer that queens Mary. Though it's not exactly a big deal.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ryan118244

Thats quite a good PDF but tbh but it can still be misleading and im not fully convinced For example 97% of manc grads got their first choice for this year and for peninsula 96%, so how come they aren't in the top? Also Manc generally does better in the exams, aren't MTAS based on exams?

First, go look up how MTAS works. I simply cannot believe you're calling bull**** on an official document published by a university without even understanding how the system works. Christ, you don't even seem to understand how examination in med school works.

There is less PBL at Barts as well, I don't know what time tables you've been looking at but I've spoken to Manc medics. I know what their days are like. I know what my days are like. There is more PBL at Manc. Timetables vary week by week, term by term, year by year and weather you actually need to go to any of it. Speaking to current fresher Manc medics they're doing much more PBL than me.

I'm not around to slam Manchester, my original comment about not knowing a happy Manc medic was made as banter. I am simply stating the original reasons why I personally chose not to apply to Manchester.

Ignore league tables, ignore MRCP etc pass marks, go to the place you want to go. You're going to be spending the next five years there. Look at the courses (content), look at the areas, look at the union (where you'll be living basically, roll on 800k redevelopment next year!) and talk to students at both. If you decide your medical school based on league tables you're making a big mistake.
Reply 22
See there is actually only one person on this forum who actively says they don't like Manchester, the rest of Manchester medics I have come across like the course. All the other complaints I hear are from people like you who say they know this and that person etc.

Thats quite a good PDF but tbh but it can still be misleading and im not fully convinced For example 97% of manc grads got their first choice for this year and for peninsula 96%, so how come they aren't in the top? Also Manc generally does better in the exams, aren't MTAS based on exams?

People like to think there is less PBL at Barts but there isn't, I've compared 2 timetables from the med schools and there isn't a difference.

The changes aren't rumours, it has been very clearly stated on the website and also there are official documents, I really wish I had kept the link now, but they were posted on a blog by a Manchester student. The Barts SSR is the same as manc in the times and independent.

Tbh I'm getting bored now with all this debate about Manchester is general.
Your very right, just go to the place you want to go to.

What do you expect? Me to tell my friend that come on TSR cause someone would like to know you hate Manchester? Theres only one or two medical students from each university active members on TSR, what do you expect?
Hah that's quite funny, that generally sums up the north of England though.
Let's face it though, the location of manc med school is much nicer that queens Mary. Though it's not exactly a big deal.

Reply 24
Original post by RollerBall
First, go look up how MTAS works. I simply cannot believe you're calling bull**** on an official document published by a university without even understanding how the system works. Christ, you don't even seem to understand how examination in med school works.

There is less PBL at Barts as well, I don't know what time tables you've been looking at but I've spoken to Manc medics. I know what their days are like. I know what my days are like. There is more PBL at Manc. Timetables vary week by week, term by term, year by year and weather you actually need to go to any of it. Speaking to current fresher Manc medics they're doing much more PBL than me.

I'm not around to slam Manchester, my original comment about not knowing a happy Manc medic was made as banter. I am simply stating the original reasons why I personally chose not to apply to Manchester.

Ignore league tables, ignore MRCP etc pass marks, go to the place you want to go. You're going to be spending the next five years there. Look at the courses (content), look at the areas, look at the union (where you'll be living basically, roll on 800k redevelopment next year!) and talk to students at both. If you decide your medical school based on league tables you're making a big mistake.

I never said the document was bull **** I was saying I don't understand it as it seems so contradictory. All the med schools that have been placed lower on the MTAS ranking get some of the highest exam results in the country. MTAS correct me if I'm wrong, I thought it was based on exam results, where you rank in your med school and then other points through extra curricular and intercalated degre.
I'm pretty sure I do understand it.

Wow your banter is hilarious.

I've never looked at league tables apart from for SSR. And I certainly wont make my decision based on any sort of rankings ... I'm not stupid.
Reply 25
I just read all the comments Ryan has posted on this thread, your a retard.
Reply 26
Original post by Nation
What do you expect? Me to tell my friend that come on TSR cause someone would like to know you hate Manchester? Theres only one or two medical students from each university active members on TSR, what do you expect?

I'm not expecting anything I was just saying that generally the medics on here like the medical school, and you can't generalise like everyone seems to be doing by saying that everyone hates the medical school.
Reply 27
Original post by Nation
I just read all the comments Ryan has posted on this thread, your a retard.

Why because I don't base all my opinions and decisions on what people say on these threads and that I'm defending a med school?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
I'm not expecting anything I was just saying that generally the medics on here like the medical school, and you can't generalise like everyone seems to be doing by saying that everyone hates the medical school.

Why because I don't base all my opinions and decisions on what people say on these threads and that I'm defending a med school?

I would neg you if I could. Manchester is crap as hell.
Reply 29
Original post by Nation
I would neg you if I could. Manchester is crap as hell.

This is exactly what proves my point.
Reply 30

People like to think there is less PBL at Barts but there isn't, I've compared 2 timetables from the med schools and there isn't a difference.

The changes aren't rumours, it has been very clearly stated on the website and also there are official documents, I really wish I had kept the link now, but they were posted on a blog by a Manchester student. The Barts SSR is the same as manc in the times and independent.

Tbh I'm getting bored now with all this debate about Manchester is general.
Your very right, just go to the place you want to go to.

Perhaps this is more a reflection of the fact that the deaneries around Manchester
are less competitive, or more accurately, the deaneries that Manchester graduates apply to are less competitive. This is purely a speculative guess though.

So you're saying that the amount of PBL at Manchester and Barts is similar? I think I'll trust all the Barts students that I spoke to at various open days and on TSR thanks.

If you could post up the link explaining the changes to Manchester's course, I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.
Reply 31
and that I'm defending a med school?

Exactly. You're defending it. You're pulling out all the stops on a subjective, self-centered, last-ditch attempt to show that Manchester is the best medical school ever to grace this Earth because that's where you've been accepted. Even going as far as dismissing official BTL documents that show it is on the bottom half of the MTAS rankings...

Any thread that has mentioned Manchester these past few months you've jumped on in an attempt to justify to yourself your decision to apply/firm there, using notions of "well the course is **** yeh but they said they're gonna fix it" or whatnot to try and discredit arguments.

I wasn't going to say anything but it's kinda irritating me now.
Reply 32
Original post by Beska
Exactly. You're defending it. You're pulling out all the stops on a subjective, self-centered, last-ditch attempt to show that Manchester is the best medical school ever to grace this Earth because that's where you've been accepted. Even going as far as dismissing official BTL documents that show it is on the bottom half of the MTAS rankings...

Any thread that has mentioned Manchester these past few months you've jumped on in an attempt to justify to yourself your decision to apply/firm there, using notions of "well the course is **** yeh but they said they're gonna fix it" or whatnot to try and discredit arguments.

Am I the person that have said the pathetically low ditched statements, let me think .... NO!!!!!

Not at all, I would defend any med school when it's being subjected to people constantly bitching about it and saying that it's crap. It annoys me that people feel it's ok to straight out say it's a crap medical school because it's demeaning and just low.

If you actually read my posts correctly I never said I would dismiss it, I said it's very contradictory and that I don't understand it >< that by no way incinuates that I don't believe it or think it's rubbish.

And yes I drop into all the Manchester threads because you always get an idiot in them which thinks it's alright to say that Manchester is a complete crap medical school and then goes on about how it has low student SR and the new course is a rumour, and I feel the need that I have to explain by using all the info I have gathered because people are too ignorant to look at the other side of the argument.

If someone went on another medical school thread and started being a complete ass, people would defend that medical school. That's all in doing with Manchester. I never started the bitching and rudeness on this thread at all!!!!
Someone else did, and then as soon as I say a comment defending Manc all of a sudden I'm the one being argumentative and people gang up on me. Well tbh it's a load of bull****. All I was doing was actually helping the orig poster and asking them what the decision making going before other people got involved.

Again this thread has turned into another argument about Manchester! I wasn't the one who started it! This thread was pretty nice before others had to get their bitch faces on and get involved.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Am I the person that have said the pathetically low ditched statements, let me think .... NO!!!!!

Not at all, I would defend any med school when it's being subjected to people constantly bitching about it and saying that it's crap. It annoys me that people feel it's ok to straight out say it's a crap medical school because it's demeaning and just low.

If you actually read my posts correctly I never said I would dismiss it, I said it's very contradictory and that I don't understand it >< that by no way incinuates that I don't believe it or think it's rubbish.

And yes I drop into all the Manchester threads because you always get an idiot in them which thinks it's alright to say that Manchester is a complete crap medical school and then goes on about how it has low student SR and the new course is a rumour, and I feel the need that I have to explain by using all the info I have gathered because people are too ignorant to look at the other side of the argument.

If someone went on another medical school thread and started being a complete ass, people would defend that medical school. That's all in doing with Manchester. I never started the bitching and rudeness on this thread at all!!!!
Someone else did, and then as soon as I say a comment defending Manc all of a sudden I'm the one being argumentative and people gang up on me. Well tbh it's a load of bull****. All I was doing was actually helping the orig poster and asking them what the decision making going before other people got involved.

Again this thread has turned into another argument about Manchester! I wasn't the one who started it! This thread was pretty nice before others had to get their bitch faces on and get involved.

Hey, we're not "ganging" up on you for the fun of it. You seem to have gotten many of your "facts" wrong. The fact that multiple people are calling you up on it should serve as a reassurance to those who are unsure about who to believe. Anyway, the posters who challenged you on the first page were just sceptical about a point you raised.

I respect you for sticking up for Manchester, albeit in an over-defensive manner, but don't mislead people whilst doing so.
Reply 34
Original post by _lynx_
Hey, we're not "ganging" up on you for the fun of it. You seem to have gotten many of your "facts" wrong. The fact that multiple people are calling you up on it should serve as a reassurance to those who are unsure about who to believe. Anyway, the posters who challenged you on the first page were just sceptical about a point you raised.

I respect you for sticking up for Manchester, albeit in an over-defensive manner, but don't mislead people whilst doing so.

What a load of crap and wow you are patronising.
What points have I gotten wrong?? The whole point of my argument is to stop people misleading others who are looking at Manchester. I'm one of the only non misleading people on here.
The point I made about exam marks was fact, not something I made up. It wasnt the main point of my argument anyway. It was simply a bit of banter bk.

My main point was about manc changing the course: FACT. Manchester implementing changes last yr: FACT. People like Manchester, not everyone hates it: FACT.

How are those points wrong???
(edited 13 years ago)
I love PBL. Just want to throw that out there.
Also I have lots of friends at different medical schools, like nots, oxford and birmingham. Here is how I feel my knowledge stacks up against theirs.
+ Clinical disease stuff
+ Pharmacology
+ Pathology
+ Communication

- Anatomy
- Biochemistry

I don't know if it's better than a normal course. I know some people who are unhappy at manchester, but I also know each and every one of those people had significant private schooling and were maybe used to a more spoon fed approach of learning. Me and the people who like it there enjoy being able to go over dry science in our own time, follow our own interests and early clinical stuff. This isn't a polemic, just a list of personal observations and tentatively drawn conclusions.
Reply 36
People like Manchester, not everyone hates it: FACT.

People hate Manchester, not everybody likes it: FACT.

Just because it's your opinion it doesn't make it intrinsically more valid than somebody else's (eg. Daveo's that I've seen you belittle in another thread).
Reply 37
Original post by Beska
People hate Manchester, not everybody likes it: FACT.

Just because it's your opinion it doesn't make it intrinsically more valid than somebody else's (eg. Daveo's that I've seen you belittle in another thread).

I've never said that everyone likes manc at all, so I don't know where your getting that from, I just said not everyone hates manc. You are taking a statement and trying to push it bk at me as if I think everyone loves manc, when have I ever said that?

Everyone can have their own opinion, mine isn't any more valid, I've never said it was.
So I don't know where you got such an invalid point from.

I've never belittled daveo, just because I dont agree with him doesn't mean I belittle him. He forces his opinion on everyone who's interested in Manchester in an arrogant, demeaning way. When I first came accross him I tried messaging him to get help, what did he do, he completely belittled me, so let me think why I don't like him. So get your facts right.

People like 'sidewalkwhenshewalks' are what this thread needs, they actually give an opinion looking at both points of view. What he said is all I have been trying to say - that not everyone hates manc, but people can't seem to get that just because they know someone who knows someone at manc, they hate it and that seems to beat all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Beska

Hi Beska, I have no interest in this thread, just wondering where I could find these rankings. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 39
Original post by resortini
Hi Beska, I have no interest in this thread, just wondering where I could find these rankings. Thanks :biggrin:

This is the link for the MTAS rankings. Some of the info is missing though due to bad formatting.

http://www.smd-edu.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/FP_recruitmentmentors.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending