The Student Room Group

Is taking the Quran burners to court an anti-Muslim propaganda ?

As a Muslim I have a feeling it is a propaganda to turn people against the Muslims, maybe I am just too paranoid but think about it . .

In Islam we are advised to burn the scripture as a sign of respect rather than just trashing it with rubbish, so burning it isn't actually an offense according to Islam. Its not like burning the writings of the book going to destroy the Quran from existence.
Yes its offensive to most Muslims because of the burners bad intentions, and yes a bunch of extremist fanatics some where in Central Asia went crazy about it and caused a lot of disgraceful blood shed, only to give more welcomed attention from the Quran burners, and a few so-called "Muslim leaders" talked against it. But these all remain minorities in one or two Muslim majority countries out of 30+ Muslim majority countries, and why is it that only selected minorities are given so much attention by the media?
There were loads of "Muslim leaders" speaking against terrorism everyday and they were ignored by the media and everyone, there was a lot of anti-terrorism demonstrations that were not given much attention, but most of the media's attention goes to a selected minority.
If the Quran burning wasn't given all that attention from the media and the government most Muslims will probably forget about the incident in a week, but the media has to hype up things too much and gets everyone involved, and says things like "oooh they're burning your holy scripture what are you going to do about it " and then get some pissed off long bearded "Muslim leader" to come back at the burners.
I am in no way saying the media doesn't have the right to do that sort of thing, its their channel, they need viewers to make a living , there is freedom of speech and they can say whatever they want, but because there is freedom of speech, I also have the right to say: Mainstream media can be deceiving and biased. At the end of the day its up to you the receiver to decide.
I also do have the right to doubt the government's intentions in taking the Quran's burners to court and think that there is a chance they might be doing that with the intention to spark a public's reaction against the Muslims in Britain.
I also believe that the government does treat minorities in the UK with double standards, usually to the minorities advantage, for example, if a bearded Muslim decided to burn the flag of some nation, say the USA, would that bearded Muslim be taken to court ? Most probably not, why not? Surely the flag burning of a country's flag is offensive to a nation of 300+M. Isn't that double standards? This double standards way of dealing with things is only going to fuel the public's hatred towards the Muslim minority.
So are the reasons behind me questioning the governments intentions sound or am I being an annoying paranoid conspiracy theorist here? Also , from your point of view, are my demands of not treating us Muslims with double standards, weather its to our advantage or disadvantage legitimate even if it meant ignoring the minority extremist Muslims that have no official representation of Muslims, are these demands legitimate enough ?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am not really sure what you are trying to say here?
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
I am not really sure what you are trying to say here?

I am saying there might be a really smart propaganda going on here .. the government is sometimes treats Muslims with double standards , to their advantage... like taking someone who burned the Quran to court, in order to turn the British public against the Muslim minority and the "islamification of Britain ". Like when the Archbishop of Canterbury said : " We should have Sharia Law in the UK" :cool:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ramox3
As a Muslim I have a feeling it is a propaganda to turn people against the Muslims, maybe I am just too paranoid but think about it . .

In Islam we are advised to burn the scripture as a sign of respect rather than just trashing it with rubbish, so burning it isn't actually an offense according to Islam. Its not like burning the writings of the book going to destroy the Quran from existence.
Yes its offensive to most Muslims because of the burners bad intentions, and yes a bunch of extremist fanatics some where in Central Asia went crazy about it and caused a lot of disgraceful blood shed, only to give more welcomed attention from the Quran burners, and a few so-called "Muslim leaders" talked against it. But these all remain minorities in one or two Muslim majority countries out of 30+ Muslim majority countries, and why is it that only selected minorities are given so much attention by the media?
There were loads of "Muslim leaders" speaking against terrorism everyday and they were ignored by the media and everyone, there was a lot of anti-terrorism demonstrations that were not given much attention, but most of the media's attention goes to a selected minority.
If the Quran burning wasn't given all that attention from the media and the government most Muslims will probably forget about the incident in by the next week, but the media has to hype up things too much and gets everyone involved, and says things like "oooh they're burning your holy scripture what are you going to do about it " and then get some pissed off long bearded "Muslim leader" to speak back.
I am in no way saying the media doesn't have the right to do that sort of thing, its their channel, they need viewers to make a living , there is freedom of speech and they can say whatever they want, but because there is freedom of speech, I also have the right to say: Mainstream media can be deceiving and biased. At the end of the day its up to you the receiver to decide.
I also do have the right to doubt the government's intentions in taking the Quran's burners to court and think that there is a chance they might be doing that with the intention to spark a public's reaction against the Muslims in Britain.
I also believe that the government does treat minorities in the UK with double standards, usually to the minorities advantage, for example, if a bearded Muslim decided to burn the flag of some nation, say the USA, would that bearded Muslim be taken to court ? Most probably not, why not? Surely the flag burning of a country's flag is offensive to a nation of 300+M. Isn't that double standards? This double standards way of dealing with things is only going to fuel the public's hatred towards the Muslim minority.
So are the reasons behind me questioning the governments intentions sound or am I being an annoying paranoid conspiracy theorist here? Also , from your point of view, are my demands of not treating us Muslims with double standards, weather its to our advantage or disadvantage legitimate even if it meant ignoring the minority extremist Muslims that have no official representation of Muslims, are these demands legitimate enough ?

Why not make a stand against the UK government by leaving the country and migrating to a Muslim nation ?
Reply 4
Original post by Atheist Britain
Why not make a stand against the UK government by leaving the country and migrating to a Muslim nation ?

Would you emigrate every time you disagreed on an issue with the government? No, you wouldn't. Or are you implying I am not a full British citizen with the right to disagree, because of my religion? If thats what your implying I have no debate with you sir.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ramox3
Would you emigrate every time you disagreed on an issue with the government? No, you wouldn't. Or are you implying I am not a full British citizen with the right to disagree, because of my religion? If thats what your implying I have no debate with you sir.

Your a British citizen, however you are not a Briton :smile:
Reply 6

First of all, my religion doesn't define my heritage, I could be English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish for more generations than you and still be a Muslim. After all, Islam and Christianity are both of Middle Eastern origin.
Being just a British Citizen without having the honour of being Briton, whatever that's supposed to mean, still guarantees me the right of freedom of speech by law without having to emigrate because I disagree, simply because I love my country..
Even if I wanted to emigrate, companies in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Kuwait, Qatar, Malaysia, Dubai, or Riyadh would be more than glad to hire an engineer like myself, probably with a better paying salary than here, hundreds of us are flocking there anyway, but what people like you fail to understand is that we also have an attachment to our country of nationality..
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ramox3
First of all, my religion doesn't define my heritage, I could be English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish for more generations than you and still be a Muslim. After all, Islam and Christianity are both of Middle Eastern origin.
Being a just a British Citizen and without having the honour of being Briton, whatever that's supposed to mean, still guarantees me the right of freedom of speech without having to emigrate because I disagree.

Your not ethnically Scottish/English/Welsh/Irish though are you ?, therefore you are not a Briton.
Original post by Ramox3

In Islam we are advised....

YOur not paranoid, and most of the things your saying are spot on. i bet most people didn't realise that muslims burn the Quran out of respect anyway! if a holy scripture need to be destroyed instead of chucking it in the bin it is more respectable to burn it. and if this is in fact propaganda then the media are the biggest scum in the universe for causing all this chaos. :cool:
Reply 9
It's all a plan.
Reply 10

But you can't spell, so :hand: and..

Your not ethnically Scottish/English/Welsh/Irish though are you ?, therefore you are not a Briton.

Being a Briton, as far as I know, isn't to do with ethnicity.

The British (also known as Britons, informally Brits, or archaically Britishers) are citizens of the United Kingdom, of the Isle of Man, any of the Channel Islands, or of any of the British overseas territories, and their descendants.

brit·on/?britn/Noun
1. A citizen or native of Great Britain.
2. A person of British descent.

Brit·on (brtn)
n.
1. A native or inhabitant of Great Britain.
2. One of a Celtic people inhabiting ancient Britain at the time of the Roman invasion.
3. A member of a Brittonic-speaking people.

Judging by which, as long as OP is a British Citizen, he/she is a Briton. (Because, as is made clear by the definitions, the term isn't SOLELY for those of English descent/'ethnicity' as you're so claiming)
(edited 13 years ago)

Your being abit unfair tbh. Don;t be fooled by the media and be a man of your own judgement, the majority of muslims are happy to live in peace and side by side with fellow citezans. the 'muslim' problem is only a problem coz the media told you so - in my case we all get along where im from, muslim and non-muslim and frome time to time we get EDL scum round here and its the only time thers any racial or religous tension....
Original post by Peace0fM1nd
Your being abit unfair tbh. Don;t be fooled by the media and be a man of your own judgement, the majority of muslims are happy to live in peace and side by side with fellow citezans. the 'muslim' problem is only a problem coz the media told you so - in my case we all get along where im from, muslim and non-muslim and frome time to time we get EDL scum round here and its the only time thers any racial or religous tension....

I have no doubt that Muslims would like to see Europe turn into an Islamic state.
Original post by mel0n
But you can't spell, so :hand: and..

Being a Briton, as far as I know, isn't to do with ethnicity.

Judging by which, as long as OP is a British Citizen, he/she is a Briton. (Because, as is made clear by the definitions, the term isn't SOLELY for those of English descent/'ethnicity' as you're so claiming)

Briton in the historical context means the ethnic groups which make up the UK. ethnic Pakistanis etc. are not Britons, don't be ridiculous
Reply 14
Briton in the historical context means the ethnic groups which make up the UK. ethnic Pakistanis etc. are not Britons, don't be ridiculous

But the historical context doesn't seem to provide the only meaning of the word, so don't be so ridiculous yourself.
Reply 15
I have no doubt that Muslims would like to see Europe turn into an Islamic state.

If I wanted to live in an "Islamic state" I'd go live in one, theres plenty to chose from , what most European Muslims want is to get on with their lives and make a living like everyone else, many Muslims are anti-immigration anyway, because immigrants don't just take the Europeans jobs, they take everyone's job. Having said that there are a minority extremist Muslims who'd love to see Europe turn to an Islamic state like back in the golden age of Islam where Muslims ruled Spain, Portugal and the South of France, but saying most Muslims want that and are working towards it, is a wild overstatement.
(edited 13 years ago)

That's worrying to know and i hope your not bein serious :s-smilie: if you go talk to people yourself you'l soon figure that most muslims are happy to live in this country under British law - it is a requirment of the religion in fact. As a muslim in this country i have a right to practice my religion freely and i applaud the authority for allowing me.... i mean look at France and Denmark i wudnt' be happy there rite now.
Original post by ramox3
i am saying there might be a really smart propaganda going on here .. The government is sometimes treats muslims with double standards , to their advantage... Like taking someone who burned the quran to court, in order to turn the british public against the muslim minority and the "islamification of britain ". Like when the bishop of canterbury said : " we should have sharia law in the uk" :cool:

spot on mate
Reply 18

And it is very likely that you could be a viking...
Original post by Stratos
And it is very likely that you could be a viking...

It is possible that a tiny minority of my ancestors were vikings. However extensive research shows that northern Britons are over whelmingly descended from the first settlers to these islands, with an average of over 90% of our genetic make up being traced to those first settlers to Briton (I have extensive info on this)

That makes me an indigenous Briton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending