The Student Room Group

Anybody got any facts and figures.

I was just curious to know how many people get into medicine and how many apply and any other interesting statistics. The more recent the better and please state the source.

Scroll to see replies

There are ~8500 places?

60% of all applicants get 4 rejections
Reply 2
Original post by Straight up G
There are ~8500 places?

60% of all applicants get 4 rejections

Source?
Original post by Limitless
Source?

This forum. Wikipedia, UCAS etc.
Reply 4
In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand or attempted to do so.

I hope I helped. :smile:

*You did ask for facts and figures.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
80% of all facts are made up.
Reply 6
The 60% of applicants get 4 rejections is a well known statistic and can be found on the UCAS website somewhere - was considering looking and linking you but god damn the UCAS website is so terrible, I couldn't bring myself to do it. :frown:

If I recall, it was ~58% for 2010 entry.
Reply 7
Remember - a lot of people who apply are totally ignorant of the unique nature of individual medical schools admissions policy.

Tailor your application and medicine admissions really isn't as hard as it is made out to be.
Reply 8
I was just curious to know how many people get into medicine and how many apply and any other interesting statistics. The more recent the better and please state the source.

Like others have said, i think UCAS is a good source.

Oxford release some good stats, although may be too specific for your purposes. If only every med school were so open!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Josh_Dey
In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand or attempted to do so.

I hope I helped. :smile:

*You did ask for facts and figures.

Yeah, facts and figures to do with medicine, I would have thought you would know that seen as though the thread is in "medicine". And because I have written it in my original post.
Yeah, facts and figures to do with medicine, I would have thought you would know that seen as though the thread is in "medicine". And because I have written it in my original post.

There is a distinct lack of official data on the subject of medicine admissions. News papers seem to be able to find figures that change every week :s-smilie:

You will be able to find the stats for individual universities without too much bother, but trying to get ones nationally will be next to impossible. Any figures you do get can be interpreted so many ways :frown: Think of all the variables: Nationality, Grades, UKCAT, Extra curricular, Work xp, age, social background, choice of institution (any admission stats assume that everyone used all 4 choices...which some don't)

I really don't think they will be of any use to you :tongue:
Reply 11

Not really, I looked in the Discussions widget and found this thread...
Reply 12
Original post by Beska
The 60% of applicants get 4 rejections is a well known statistic and can be found on the UCAS website somewhere - was considering looking and linking you but god damn the UCAS website is so terrible, I couldn't bring myself to do it. :frown:

If I recall, it was ~58% for 2010 entry.

I reckon its higher this year isn't it?

Original post by Organ
Remember - a lot of people who apply are totally ignorant of the unique nature of individual medical schools admissions policy.

Tailor your application and medicine admissions really isn't as hard as it is made out to be.

Yep yep yep.

Why oh why didn't I join TSR BEFORE applying :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by twelve
I reckon its higher this year isn't it?

Probably, but it's all just speculation until the end of the cycle when they release the figures. :smile:
Original post by nexttime

Like others have said, i think UCAS is a good source.

Oxford release some good stats, although may be too specific for your purposes. If only every med school were so open!

lol stop advertising your Uni!!:tongue:
Reply 15
Source?

its really just common sense.

medicine tends to need extra preparation to make a successful application.

half the applicants dont know what preparation means, or are just going through the motions since they've not learned how to choose a career yet. given this, its suprising that more dont get 4 rejections.
Reply 16
Original post by Gizmo!
its really just common sense.

medicine tends to need extra preparation to make a successful application.

half the applicants dont know what preparation means, or are just going through the motions since they've not learned how to choose a career yet. given this, its suprising that more dont get 4 rejections.

What? People are rejected because there are far less places than applicants, not because 60% of applicants are pure ****. All medical schools always fill all of their places.
Reply 17
What? People are rejected because there are far less places than applicants, not because 60% of applicants are pure ****. All medical schools always fill all of their places.
wat do you mean? you are assuming they are all perfect applicants. you are a med student, arent you? you cant be so naive of the calibre of some applicants. Nor should you be unambivalent of the quality of some who get in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Gizmo!
wat do you mean? you are a med student, arent you? you cant be so naive of the calibre of many applicants.

Nor should you be unambivalent of the quality of some who get in.

A relatively high number of applicants do seem to be of relatively low calibre yes (the figures on how many people apply to med schools when they simply don't meet the most basic requirements is pretty staggering) and some people who get in are better than others of course. This is not a reason why the figure 60% exists! That is just simple math - applicants compared with places.
Reply 19
A relatively high number of applicants do seem to be of relatively low calibre yes (the figures on how many people apply to med schools when they simply don't meet the most basic requirements is pretty staggering) and some people who get in are better than others of course. This is not a reason why the figure 60% exists! That is just simple math - applicants compared with places.

You're right in that there are limited number of places, but I've never been one to point out the obvious so you are welcome to the your point you raised.

I mean to say that people get rejected by putting in a bad application. But I dont think they are inherently bad, which may be what you believe. I believe that being crappy one year means acing a place next year very often.

So my point is that people dont get in because they just dont know how to mount an application, or are applying for the wrong thing, which is as ENTIRELY true as your more obvious point. Sorry if you find my point and yours are incompatible.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending