The Student Room Group

Are there any groups for young people wanting to travel alone and meet new people?

Hi, basically I want to go travelling by myself, but I would also like to know if there are any travelling groups who are all doing the same but want to meet other lone travellers as well. I am 22 years old, so i was hoping there may be a travel group of people my own age who are also travelling alone. Any ideas..?

Scroll to see replies

I don't really understand the question. You want to travel alone but not be alone?

Other than the advice of just seeing who you meet on your transportation and in your accommodation try http://www.travbuddy.com or helpx have a page where you can put up a personal ad type thing.
Reply 2
Original post by twist.the.illusion

Original post by twist.the.illusion
I don't really understand the question. You want to travel alone but not be alone?

Other than the advice of just seeing who you meet on your transportation and in your accommodation try http://www.travbuddy.com or helpx have a page where you can put up a personal ad type thing.

kind of, but I want to meet new people along my travel's.
Reply 3
I went to New Zealand with ISV.

It's quite expensive, but you volunteer for two weeks (the best two weeks, in my opinion), then get to tour the country you're in for two weeks.

Definitely one of the best experiences of my life and I met so many new people whom I love so much!
Reply 4
There's lots of companies that do "adventure tours" aimed at young people. is that what your looking for? Despite the name, theres often tours that aren't particularly adventurous. Tends to be pricier than going yourself, but you do get company.

Trek America and Green Tortoise are the main companies for the US, but there's tour groups on all continents.

I've heard Real Gap being mentioned a number of times, or take a look on the STA website and see whats available.
Reply 5
In countries popular with backpackers you will meet lots of people at hostels. I'm especially thinking of New Zealand and Australia, where it's very easy to travel solo and meet people every night.....I travelled on my own but didn't really as people joined me for a few days/weeks and I met different people every day either in hostels or at tourist places, even on buses before I bought a car. Travelling solo really common thing to do in Aus/NZ.
Reply 6
Original post by Rugged88
kind of, but I want to meet new people along my travel's.

That's the essence of travel.
Reply 7
BUNAC
Reply 8
Hi, a couple of years ago I went to Ecuador alone and met loads of people along the way. if you go with a company they generally place you at homestays or in hostels where they will have also placed several others so you meet loads of new people on similar trips as yourself. I went with Real Gap and before you leave they send you out a contact list of all the people on the same or similar trips as you so you can get in contact before you leave. If you are interested or want more info on Real Gap just let me know, I can get you 5% off if you book with me :smile: x x x
I wouldn't particularly recommend a tour. If it's something you would have done anyway then go for it, but it should be just as easy to meet people as you move along in hostels - and far cheaper!

They'll be thousands of people travelling alone or in small groups, who are just as interested in meeting new people as you are - and the hostel is the best place to do that. You're pretty much forced to chat with the people in the room with you, and there are always going to be people milling around the common room/kitchen.
Original post by Ice_Queen
I went to New Zealand with ISV.

It's quite expensive, but you volunteer for two weeks (the best two weeks, in my opinion), then get to tour the country you're in for two weeks.

Definitely one of the best experiences of my life and I met so many new people whom I love so much!

Hi,

How much did you pay for this in total if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
Reply 11
Just book your flights to wherever you want to go and stay in hostels, you'll meet loads of people, and use that travbuddy site too it's good
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Hi,

How much did you pay for this in total if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

About three grand for the month, including flights (which to New Zealand and back are expensive :p: as well as the domestic flight), food and lodging in the first two weeks, lodging and transport in the second two weeks plus some meals, plus things like white-water rafting and glacier-hiking were included.

Definitely one of the best times of my life. I made friends who I will never forget, and had experiences I will cherish.
About three grand for the month, including flights (which to New Zealand and back are expensive :p: as well as the domestic flight), food and lodging in the first two weeks, lodging and transport in the second two weeks plus some meals, plus things like white-water rafting and glacier-hiking were included.

Definitely one of the best times of my life. I made friends who I will never forget, and had experiences I will cherish.

Wow, that really is expensive, but I suppose if you enjoyed it then it was worth it. Thanks for replying.

wow that was expensive. At least you enjoyed it all though and made some good friends from it all.
Hi, basically I want to go travelling by myself, but I would also like to know if there are any travelling groups who are all doing the same but want to meet other lone travellers as well. I am 22 years old, so i was hoping there may be a travel group of people my own age who are also travelling alone. Any ideas..?

I'm looking into doing something like this myself. There's sta travel and other travel operators, where you can hook up with a group. I've personally nearly always preferred travelling independently, then you can choose whether to hook up with people/groups along the way. There's also the amazing freedom and flexibility when you're travelling solo in terms of the decision-making, what to do and when, who to do it with, what hostels to stay in and how long for, etc..

I'm looking for a week holiday and I've been looking on websites such as btcv and the national trust - a cheap holiday, perhaps even a cheapish working holiday with an organization like btcv might be up my street...providing as it's conservation work that doesn't involve litter picking off beaches.
Couchsurfinggggg http://www.couchsurfing.org/

Sorry for being so obnoxious but it's really awesome. To quote from the website:

CouchSurfing is an international non-profit network that connects travelers with locals in over 230 countries and territories around the world. Our mission as an organization is to create inspiring experiences: cross-cultural encounters that are fun, engaging, and illuminating. These experiences take many forms. CouchSurfing's initial focus was on hosting and "surfing" (staying with a local as a guest in their home). Alongside these core experiences, we now also facilitate a growing array of activities and events.

It's free and safe. KUDOS!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by white_haired_wizard
wow that was expensive. At least you enjoyed it all though and made some good friends from it all.

It was expensive, but I'd definitely say it was worth it. Obviously I can't compare to other travel things though!
Reply 18
try couch surfing maybe. you could meet interesting people there. what about using the internet to make friends all over the world and visit them?
Reply 19

As mentioned above, BUNAC's programmes are all about travelling and experiencing other cultures and cultures but without going it alone. Most of our work abroad programmes allow you to take group flight options where you can travel with other BUNAC members as well as resource centres at our destinations where you can meet and attend social events with other BUNAC members. If you're interested in volunteering abroad, the majority of our programmes include shared accommodation with other volunteers - in the BUNAC office, most of us are former BUNAC members who have stayed in touch with people we met on our BUNAC experience years ago! If you'd like to have a chat about our programmes, please feel free to call us on 02072510662 or visit www.bunac.org.uk

Quick Reply

Latest