The Student Room Group

For those who believe Psychology is a "soft subject"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mooniibuggy
Wth? You didn't even finish the A-Level so how can you say that?

Because I finished almost 2/3 of the course, and every time we had mock exams I got A's and B's, like I said in my post earlier. Also, we sat an exam for unit 1 in January and I got an A with about 20 minutes revision the night before... So yeh I can say that :cool:
Original post by lawology

First off you said Psychology wasn't a science. You were then corrected and told it was. You then said that Universities didn't like it. You were then, again, corrected and told once more that this was not in fact the case. Neither of your two statements were portrayed as opinions, you presented both as fact. You've been corrected several times so I'm not entirely sure why you've just stated 'people didn't correct me' yes, yes they did.

I also LOVE your end sentence. Sorry for talking back 'with attitude'. This is TSR, please don't try and get all gangster, you'll just end up looking silly :rolleyes:
xoxo

Do you think that by saying 'Bull' you're correcting someone? And what's so gangster about what I said? Anyway you can keep your xoxo and I'm truly fascinated by the fact that from a thread of 14 pages the only thing you found worthy to comment on was what I said. I'm not trying to start a fight with anyone here, so if you could find something better to do with your life, it'd be much appreciated. (I'd love to see where you'll end up behaving like this.) Well done btw you've managed to waste my time AND yours. Congrats!
(Apologies for quoting other people, she had a memory lapse, just ignore this!)

@Legen here:
Original post by Legen...dary!!
First off Psychology is not considered as a science subject so that should give you a hint...

Original post by Noodlzzz

It IS considered a science -__-

This is what I learned: there are three sciences, physics, chemistry and biology. And anyway unis don't like it so there you go,

Original post by Noodlzzz
Those are the natural sciences, doesn't mean psychology isn't a science.

Yes they do, not considered traditional but it's getting more respect, plus Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St.Andrews and UCL offer it as a degree.

Original post by lozzyhickers
Then why do most unis count Psychology as a science subject in entry criteria?

There you go, all people correcting you dear.

No need for personal insults dear, I was only trying to help - you just seemed confused is all.
xoxo
P.S I'm going to study law in september, although I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with anything!
Original post by Jadelyndsey
Because I finished almost 2/3 of the course, and every time we had mock exams I got A's and B's, like I said in my post earlier. Also, we sat an exam for unit 1 in January and I got an A with about 20 minutes revision the night before... So yeh I can say that :cool:

Yeah the first unit is p*** easy. But there is a huge difference between AS and A2 and the same goes for other A-levels. You can't judge the whole A-level if you've just done AS.
Reply 264
I switched from joint honours psychology and law to straight law at the end of my first year and really, psychology is, to me, absolutely mind numbingly boring. My studying it felt like simply reading through pages and pages of text learning studies and quite easy to understand ideas. Now don't get me wrong, I have a lot of case law and statute to learn for law, but at least my mind is challenged as I am reading up on the reasoning of judges on particular technical concepts. A controversial legal rule is in a way fun to work through and develop your own angle on. With psychology I just seemed to be saying 'X could be true under a study by Y but there is a study by Z concluding that it is not true so this must also be kept in mind'. It was just all very meaningless and dull to me.

(Apologies for quoting other people, she had a memory lapse, just ignore this!)

@Legen here:

There you go, all people correcting you dear.

No need for personal insults dear, I was only trying to help - you just seemed confused is all.
xoxo
P.S I'm going to study law in september, although I'm not entirely sure what that has to do with anything!

Well then I sincerely hope we don't end up in the same uni!
Btw wow no comeback to my message? :redface:
Original post by mooniibuggy
Yeah the first unit is p*** easy. But there is a huge difference between AS and A2 and the same goes for other A-levels. You can't judge the whole A-level if you've just done AS.

Exactly. There is always a massive jump between AS and A2 in every subject, not just Psychology. The difference is, I'm not achieving A's in all of my other AS subjects, which is why I said Psychology was a relatively easy subject, because for me (an AS student) it was easier to achieve an A in this subject in comparrison to my other AS'.

I don't understand why you think I can't 'judge' psychology to be a soft subject just because I haven't carried it on to A2. For the majority of the time, student's who achieve high grades at AS normally invariably achieve this at A2 too, so technically speaking, one could assume that I could have potentially reached A/B at A2, therefore providing a valid arguement as to why I personally think it's a soft subject.

Ps, I am in no way disputing Psychology could be considered difficult for some people. I take Biology which I really struggle with, yet my best friend can get A's/A*s without even trying. It just depends on the individual.
Original post by justiceisjust
Why?

I want to know what makes people think that Psychology is a soft subject?

Candidates are required to memorise a lot of relevant information and be able to apply the criteria correctly. Candidates are required to learn many Psychological studies, which sometimes include great amounts of details and have to learn criticisms for each topic. How is this easy? There is quite a lot of content to have to memorise which by itself can be perceived as challenging

A2 Psychology - is quite challenging. You have to outline large essays, include many studies and criticisms usually consisting of 3 or more pages all in 25 minutes.
You have to do this for three essays.

The PSYA3 results which came out were not the best set of results nationally. If Psychology was hard shouldn't most people be scoring grade A's and B's?

No trolling. Simply a debate!

But psychology is easy. There's a certain trick to writing the essays to score highly.

One laughable thing was that in one of the A2 papers you're allowed to choose your own question, because different schools teach different things. As it turned out, I forgot to revise what we learnt. So I randomly picked an area I didn't even study.

Yep, I got an A. lol.
Original post by Ferrero Rocher

Psychology is a scientific study of human mind. You clearly have no idea what are you talking about. We don't study hypnosis or how to interpret your dreams, if that's what you are getting at. Psychologists use scientific methods to test their theories same as biology.

I love Ferrero Rocher! I have thought of naming my future son Ferrero and my future daughter Rocher ^-^
I don't think its soft, but its no way as hard as biology, physics and chemistry if thats what you mean
Reply 270
Original post by justiceisjust
Why?

I want to know what makes people think that Psychology is a soft subject?

Candidates are required to memorise a lot of relevant information and be able to apply the criteria correctly. Candidates are required to learn many Psychological studies, which sometimes include great amounts of details and have to learn criticisms for each topic. How is this easy? There is quite a lot of content to have to memorise which by itself can be perceived as challenging

A2 Psychology - is quite challenging. You have to outline large essays, include many studies and criticisms usually consisting of 3 or more pages all in 25 minutes.
You have to do this for three essays.

The PSYA3 results which came out were not the best set of results nationally. If Psychology was hard shouldn't most people be scoring grade A's and B's?

No trolling. Simply a debate!

Finally, someone who agrees! I'll admit, it's not as difficult as the natural sciences but it can be hard. I'd like to see anyone who hasn't studied it take the paper and pass it through 'common sense' as some people think.
Well then I sincerely hope we don't end up in the same uni!
Btw wow no comeback to my message? :redface:

Believe me, the feeling is entirely mutual. I doubt we're looking at going to the same Uni, I have a feeling you probably wouldn't suit the course there :P

Well, I had been going to reply to your message but you seem to be incredibly hypersensitive and easily offended. You specifically asked me not to reply and I decided to honour that. You see everything as an insult, or as me 'disrespecting' you, when really, all this is is a debate over an internet forum and not a particularly good/interesting one at that - due to the fact that you don't bother responding to the points I make but rather, whine about how 'mean' I'm being. Did you say you were planning on studying law as well?! :s-smilie:
Original post by ilyking
your logic is flawed :facepalm:

f.maths requires a level maths knowledge, and it's probable that the psychology students don't even do a level maths, so they're screwed. Whereas psychology just requires memory and no previous knowledge of the subject. So of course the switched f.maths class stands a better chance than the switched psychology class

Then let the f.math students do psychology and the psychology students do normal maths?

Meh doesn't matter. Such a study could never be conducted. You just gotta take pride in whichever subjects you choose.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by magnum.opus
I love Ferrero Rocher! I have thought of naming my future son Ferrero and my future daughter Rocher ^-^

:laugh:

That's good, I guess. :erm:

:laugh:

That's good, I guess. :erm:

Rude :frown:
Original post by magnum.opus
Rude :frown:

Sorry. :frown: It was not my intention.
:colone:

:colone:

... :mfing:
Reply 277
It's probably seen as a soft subject because many of the people who get psychology degrees never really seem to do much with them. A lot of them end up jobs that don't require that degree.
Original post by MartinKellyisagod
...that's exactly what the exam consists of.

Indeed, that's what it's full of, and it makes me want to kill myself.
Exactly. There is always a massive jump between AS and A2 in every subject, not just Psychology. The difference is, I'm not achieving A's in all of my other AS subjects, which is why I said Psychology was a relatively easy subject, because for me (an AS student) it was easier to achieve an A in this subject in comparrison to my other AS'.

So using your logic, I am justified in making the claim that Physics is an easy A level, just because I personally found it quite easy?

Original post by Gwasgray
It's probably seen as a soft subject because many of the people who get psychology degrees never really seem to do much with them. A lot of them end up jobs that don't require that degree.

So?
You can say the same about many other degrees.
History, English, Politics, etc etc etc.

Because it doesn't require any indepth learning or putting things into practise. All you need to be able to do is remember things - any dummy can do that.

And the same is true for most A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending