The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Greg1989
Id have thought that would be enough if you are sensible with your money, it also depends what accommodation you decide to live in as the more expensive ones will take a large chunk out of that. Regardless Id advise getting a part time job anyway as employers like people who do that, as it shows many other skills you have especially time management

I'm hoping to go into the accomodations that cost around £70-£90. Definitely under a hundred. I don't need an ensuite. so under £3500 a year?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by TheTallOne
Let's see:
Accommodation: The prices vary between £2280 and £5655 for the year for first year undergraduates. A fair average is about £3500. And that covers gas/electricity/water and also gives you insurance for stuff in your room. Check out The Warwick Accommodation Thread for more info, including the guide on the front page.

Let's say that leaves you with £4500 for the rest of the year. If you set aside £1500 for books/cooking stuff/laptops at the start of the year, you are left with £3000 for the rest of the year, which is more than enough. Food should definitely cost less than £25/week, but you can get by with £10-15 if you really want. The average is about £15-20/week. Going out will probably cost you the most, if you want it to, but it is up to you how you approach it. The more you go out (particularly to Leam) the more expensive it can become - I've spend £30+ in Leam in one night (including a meal beforehand) but if it goes horrifically wrong and you lose everyone, a taxi back to campus burns a nice £20 hole in your wallet (obviously if you share in a group it will be £4-5 each).

One off expenses at the start of term: around £55 for the Freshers Fortnight pass (access to the first two weeks of SU events), £45 for Warwick sport, another £93 for the Gym, or £36 for the weights room for £57 for the climbing wall. Prices may (and probably will) go up slightly for next year though. Additionally, you can join societies for about £5 each, after you pay £10/year to join the societies federation, which allows you to join all societies.

Other expenses that may occur during the year: Trips: sports clubs to tours around the UK/abroad - these might cost a few hundred pounds each, depending for how long and where you are heading off to. Clothes: yeah, you could budget for that if you like as well. But you don't need to go on tours if you don't want to.

In summary, I didn't spend £1000 a term on things outside of accommodation or tuition fees, probably more like £750 in the first 2 terms, and I went out quite a lot. Additionally, around term 3 people revise more and go out less, at least until after exams, so you spend less over that period. I know people who get by spending £500 a term, so living on a tighter (but not restricted) budget is possible.

But remember, what you get it isn't all free money - you have about £3500 of loans that you have to pay back sometime (albeit once you earn over £15k), and remember things may happen down the line that may cost more, so always be wary of that. You also can get a good overdraft though, for example with Natwest you get £1000 overdraft + their free 16-25 railcard. So that could be a good backup.

Finally, living off campus in second year is more expensive, I believe. You have to add a £250 bus pass (if you are in Leam/Cov), pay for gas and electricity and pay deposits and administration fees (no admin fees/deposits with Warwick Accommodation though). Next year I'm going private but have already spent £1050 on the house in deposits, rent and admin fees, so keep that in mind. But this year I'm paying £2800 for the house - which isn't bad. Don't forget with off campus you are getting 10-11 month lets so that adds to the cost. If you get a cheaper accommodation (less than £3500) you won't need to be looking to save that much money to cover the fees (I'm an extreme case since the place I'm living in next year is £300/month - quite expensive and I've had to pay 2 months rent as my deposit instead of 1). These fees won't need to be paid until April/May, but keep them in mind if you decide to go with a private agent instead of Warwick accommodation. I'd say keep your overdraft as clear as possible for when the time comes :smile:

If you do need a job, the SU and unitemps will be a good site to keep an eye on :smile:

Wow very detailed! Thanks a bunch. I'm a lot less worried now. Do you have a part time job outside your studies? is a job manageable together with studies?
Reply 2362
Original post by Fat-Love
I'm hoping to go into the accomodations that cost around £70-£90. Definitely under a hundred. I don't need an ensuite. so under £3500 a year?

I think the tall one answered this already in his very detailed reply lol, but in response to the other thing i saw you asked it can be very easy to juggle a part time job, i had one from the first week of uni as a steward at the students union and worked there till i graduated :smile: It was amazing fun to, id advise looking there for jobs mainly as they only employ you for term time so you automatically get university holidays (where as if you worked in a shop for example not sure whether you would have to use up whatever holiday is in your contract) off and as long as you ask nice they are brill about not giving you shifts a certain night if you have a good reason e.g. exam the next day or lecture at 9 am the next day :smile:

I found stewarding especially great to draw on at interviews to as dealing with drunk awkward customers is a great way to show you have developed skills like communication, persuasion, adaptability among many others :smile:
Original post by Fat-Love
Wow very detailed! Thanks a bunch. I'm a lot less worried now. Do you have a part time job outside your studies? is a job manageable together with studies?

I haven't had a job while at uni. First year I guess I had the time to do so, but second year I literally have little free time. Even going on tour this Easter for a week has put me under pressure for revision - currently have 15 days to revise 3 modules (have no idea why the hell I'm on here :colonhash:).

One issue with SU stewarding and other jobs in the second year is the traveling distance (and the additional time spent getting to/from uni each day) and getting home at night. Compared to being on campus, I'd guess that I have wasted at least three whole days getting to/from uni compared to last year in Jack Martin.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2364
Actually getting to and from campus for SU jobs like stewarding isnt that bad, if your living off campus then you can either stay in the library for a couple of hours and get some work done before starting or if your lectures finish early head home and getting the bus in from Cov is only 30 mins (at least it is for me and I lived in liberty park right in the centre) and living off campus you will have to get a bus pass anyway so its no extra cost to get in.

As for getting home the union are great, if you work nights which stewarding is, or on the bars at night then you just pay £1.50 (not even half what you are paid one hour) and then the union will pay the rest to get you a taxi right to your front door :smile: And as its not a windy bus route its way quicker lol

True 1st year there is more free time but even in later years you just have to manage your time (and you would only do 2 or 3 nights a week so plenty of free time still), I used to get the vast majority of my work done in the day as you will find yourself hanging about for an hour or two between lectures all the time so at least some of that waiting can either be hanging out with friends or getting work done :smile:
Original post by Gap Yaring
I told them that I was going away (I'm not, but they don't know that), and that Warwick was my first choice and I was wondering when I would hear back so I could firm it before I went to assure my place on the course. Then the next day I got an offer... not sure if it was just coincidence, but maybe mentioning that it's your first choice would help?

Hey there :smile:

I've read your post here and liked your idea from the spot. So I e-mailed the economics-department yesterday and said that warwick was my first choice.

In the evening I got my last ucas track update! A warwick offer for L100 economics :biggrin:

Ucas was a rollercoaster-ride but I'm so happy that I'll be goin to warwick and hope to see a couple of you guys/girls in october

Best regards,
matt
Reply 2366
Original post by Matthias M.

I've read your post here and liked your idea from the spot. So I e-mailed the economics-department yesterday and said that warwick was my first choice.

In the evening I got my last ucas track update! A warwick offer for L100 economics :biggrin:

Ucas was a rollercoaster-ride but I'm so happy that I'll be goin to warwick and hope to see a couple of you guys/girls in october

Best regards,
matt

I'm seriously considering doing this, because I want to go to the Open Day on 27th April if I do get an offer, and you can't apply for it unless you have an offer.. Wahh!! I don't want to sound rude though.. I don't know what to say! :s-smilie:

Best regards,
matt

I've emailed the admission but no reply :frown:

Best regards,
matt

Same here, L100. I'll be seeing you in October. (Unless you'll be going to the open day?)
Received an offer today! sociology
Reply 2370
Rejection for PAIS. It was my first choice... gutted
Reply 2371
Still waiting for English And Philosophy. I wish they would just hurry up and reject me so i can get on with it.
Original post by Neisco

Original post by Neisco
Still waiting for English And Philosophy. I wish they would just hurry up and reject me so i can get on with it.

ye i have the feeling..
Is anyone still waiting for history and politics?
Original post by 24craigour
Same here, L100. I'll be seeing you in October. (Unless you'll be going to the open day?)

Congratulations :smile:

Don't know whether I'll be going yet because I'm austrian. when's the open day?
Original post by phoenixfay
I've emailed the admission but no reply :frown:

They will reply soon for sure! :smile:

Which course did you apply for?

Best regards,
matt

Yay I'm pleased it worked for you too! I'm sure you would have got in anyway without emailing them, but at least now you know you're going for sure! See you in October :smile:
Reply 2377
I've got an offer for Sociology :biggrin:

Really struggling to decide between Warwick and Durham though :s-smilie: Any help, guys?
Original post by choly7
I've got an offer for Sociology :biggrin:

Really struggling to decide between Warwick and Durham though :s-smilie: Any help, guys?

Warwick :biggrin:
Reply 2379
Original post by jameswhughes
Warwick :biggrin:

Ha thanks for the decision :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest