The Student Room Group

about to fail year 2 of my degree

okay, so i have final handins on the 3rd may and i am likeley to fail (all modules are worth double and i have only really done work to a passing standard for one of 3)
i am going to attempt to do as much for one of the other projects to get it to a decent standard before handin, but the third one i do not really have much work to submit for it and that work is not a great quality, this is due to a combination of not liking both my tutor and the project itself,

(the course is product design at lincoln uni)

now down to the actual question:

if i do fail the year am i entitled to retake the year next year in the 2011/12 academic year?
if not what is the procedure from here to repeat the year?

i am not bad at the course, and i have done a lot of good work for the one project, its just the other 2 which have fallen behind, through a combination of illness and breaking bones etc. at the start of the year, coupled with the not liking tutor/project as i mentioned before.

please any answers will be helpful :smile:
I wouldn't bother wasting time and effort retaking a year. You are clearly not cut out for uni if you canot even handle 2nd year (Which is pretty easy TBH)
Original post by Atheist Britain
I wouldn't bother wasting time and effort retaking a year. You are clearly not cut out for uni if you canot even handle 2nd year (Which is pretty easy TBH)

He did not say that he couldn't handle it. He just procrastinated, realized his error a bit late and will work harder next time. "Not cut for uni" exists, but if you think you can do it, try again. I advice you to contact the dean, maybe you can deal an additional week, which should be more than enough to pass everything (if you really want to).
Reply 3
It'll depend on the regulations of your uni. find them (probably on the website)

can't you just aim to scrape a pass in the module you hate in the weeks you have left... it'll make it easier:smile:
Reply 4
And maybe try for an extenuating circumstance due to broken bones.
Reply 5
Original post by Atheist Britain

This is a bit harsh as you don't know the course or where the OP is studying it. And the myth that first 2 years of uni is easy is not true for all courses.

OP different uni will have different ways of going about things. You're best contacting your course directors.
Reply 6
thanks for replies so far...

'can't you just aim to scrape a pass in the module you hate in the weeks you have left... it'll make it easier'
on my course all of the grades from year 2 and year 3 count towards the final grade due to the structure of the course, and so i would honestly preffer to retake the year to get good grades instead of going through with pretty crappy marks which would mean that i wouldnt really have a shot at getting a 1st or maybe even a 2.1 even if i worked my ass off in year 3.
Reply 7
Original post by edlambeth
thanks for replies so far...

'can't you just aim to scrape a pass in the module you hate in the weeks you have left... it'll make it easier'
on my course all of the grades from year 2 and year 3 count towards the final grade due to the structure of the course, and so i would honestly preffer to retake the year to get good grades instead of going through with pretty crappy marks which would mean that i wouldnt really have a shot at getting a 1st or maybe even a 2.1 even if i worked my ass off in year 3.

See what the regs/your tutors say is possible
it varies between unis.
Reply 8
Original post by Joinedup
See what the regs/your tutors say is possible
it varies between unis.

theres a problem there, as my tutors are in milan for the next 2 weeks, and then were on holiday for easter so they wont be in, and the first possible opourtunity to talk to any of them will be on the handin date (3rd may)
Reply 9
Original post by edlambeth
theres a problem there, as my tutors are in milan for the next 2 weeks, and then were on holiday for easter so they wont be in, and the first possible opourtunity to talk to any of them will be on the handin date (3rd may)

regs then or see if anyone on the lincoln forum has been through something similar.
Reply 10
ive had a look through the uni lincoln forums, and cant find anything which helps.

and i cant find any of the regs about it on the website.
should i speak to student services?
Reply 11
Yeah - sure they'll point you in the right direction.
Reply 12
thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending