The Student Room Group

Questions to ask about Space

Hey! So, when school reopens we're going to be studying space or astronomy to be more particular. Usually, my teacher teaches us everything we need to know for the curriculum and then has discussions with us about that certain topic we're studying! Therefore, I was wondering if you guys could help me out? I need a variety of rather smart (i know all the curriculum and the birth of universe and stuff already, that's why) questions to ask him? Ones which will indeed open up a discussion.
I'm 13 by the way - studying at KS3! But I enjoy a higher level too; I love science. Just letting you know, in case it helps with thinking of questions!

Thanks a lot!

Misaki.
Reply 1
Anybody? :s-smilie:
Reply 2
How do we know that the universe is accelerating? And if it started from one point and expanded, where is the centre of the universe?
Reply 3
Ask about the supposed acceleration in cosmic expansion and how it can be explained :wink:
Or the long term future of the universe - heat death vs big rip vs big crunch/bounce (cyclic model)

Those are more cosmology than space science/astronomy, but very interesting all the same.

Something more relevant perhaps...ask to talk about gravitational lensing (a really nice feature of general relativity which destroyed newtonian mechanics as a model to describe the universe as a whole)
Reply 4

Original post by soup
How do we know that the universe is accelerating? And if it started from one point and expanded, where is the centre of the universe?

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by Manitude

Original post by Manitude
Ask about the supposed acceleration in cosmic expansion and how it can be explained :wink:
Or the long term future of the universe - heat death vs big rip vs big crunch/bounce (cyclic model)

Those are more cosmology than space science/astronomy, but very interesting all the same.

Something more relevant perhaps...ask to talk about gravitational lensing (a really nice feature of general relativity which destroyed newtonian mechanics as a model to describe the universe as a whole)

Thanks - that sounds interesting!
Reply 6
need more suggestions!

Quick Reply

Latest