The Student Room Group

I don't know what to talk with people

I don't have any confidence issues,and find it easy to approach people,but it just stops there..
I don't know what to talk about, and can't start/hold a convo.
what do you talk about to your friends normally?
well....assuming you don't know the person....

find out their name, what they do, interests etc....

talk about the same things you talk to your friends about, just turn statements into questions :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by infernalcradle
well....assuming you don't know the person....

find out their name, what they do, interests etc....

talk about the same things you talk to your friends about, just turn statements into questions :biggrin:

can you give me sample convo please? yh i do those,ask those when there's someone i dont know,but it doesn't work :frown:
Reply 3
First ask name, then ask how is he/she. then just continue asking why
Reply 4
you can talk about anything!!
what you had for breakfast
what you did last night
where you're going on holiday
or start off with something obvious and it'll just flow :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
can you give me sample convo please? yh i do those,ask those when there's someone i dont know,but it doesn't work :frown:

Hi, whats your name?

what do you do?

tell me something interesting about you?

whats your favourite {insert word here}

etc. etc.

maybe ask about her course.....

just let the convo flow.....listen, respond to what she says, talk about yourself a bit and you'll be fine
Reply 6
Original post by infernalcradle
Hi, whats your name?

what do you do?

tell me something interesting about you?

whats your favourite {insert word here}

etc. etc.

maybe ask about her course.....

just let the convo flow.....listen, respond to what she says, talk about yourself a bit and you'll be fine

If someone said that to me I would think they were a right weirdo.

Just ask about what she does and whether she enjoys it, where she lives and whether she likes it there, what else she likes doing and how she got into it, what shes planning on doing at summer/Christmas, and each time share a relevant piece of information about yourself.

You can also touch on relevent topics you feel confident she would most likely also be aware of, such as the weather, current surroundings and company, recent news events, recent film releases. Try to be interesting and opinionated without being controversial.
Original post by py0alb
If someone said that to me I would think they were a right weirdo.

Just ask about what she does and whether she enjoys it, where she lives and whether she likes it there, what else she likes doing and how she got into it, what shes planning on doing at summer/Christmas, and each time share a relevant piece of information about yourself.

You can also touch on relevent topics you feel confident she would most likely also be aware of, such as the weather, current surroundings and company, recent news events, recent film releases. Try to be interesting and opinionated without being controversial.

its worked for me :colone:

but you make a fair point, as its all in the delivery :biggrin:
So many social retards on TSR.
I don't see how it can be difficult to say "Hi" and "how are you?".
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
You can try practising chitchat by going on to one of those random-chat websites, like Omegle.com that repeatedly match you with random people. Poor substitute for real conversation, but it might get your confidence up.

2/3rds of them will try to show you their ***** though, which is not something that happens in real life :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest