The Student Room Group

Manchester or Barts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryan118244
This is the link for the MTAS rankings. Some of the info is missing though due to bad formatting.

http://www.smd-edu.qmul.ac.uk/Documents/FP_recruitmentmentors.pdf

Cheers :smile: I could have probably found that myself but I'm lazy lol... Just wondering where is Manchester in the rankings (since you are likely to go there)?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by resortini
Cheers :smile: I could have probably found that myself but I'm lazy lol... Just wondering where is Manchester in the rankings (since you are likely to go there)?

That's ok.
What the MTAS ranking? I'm not sure because it isn't complete.
Tbh I'm probs more likely to go for peninsula ... I do like me beaches :smile:
That's ok.
What the MTAS ranking? I'm not sure because it isn't complete.
Tbh I'm probs more likely to go for peninsula ... I do like me beaches :smile:

Have you decided yet as I am still trying to decide between Glasgow and Leeds (both unconditional)?
Reply 43
Have you decided yet as I am still trying to decide between Glasgow and Leeds (both unconditional)?

I'm going to the manc open day on the 18th and then I will decide. Though tbh at the mo I prefer PCMD.
Mine are unconditionals as well which I'm rather relieved about :/

Do you have any idea of which one you prefer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Am I the person that have said the pathetically low ditched statements, let me think .... NO!!!!!

Not at all, I would defend any med school when it's being subjected to people constantly bitching about it and saying that it's crap. It annoys me that people feel it's ok to straight out say it's a crap medical school because it's demeaning and just low.

If you actually read my posts correctly I never said I would dismiss it, I said it's very contradictory and that I don't understand it >< that by no way incinuates that I don't believe it or think it's rubbish.

And yes I drop into all the Manchester threads because you always get an idiot in them which thinks it's alright to say that Manchester is a complete crap medical school and then goes on about how it has low student SR and the new course is a rumour, and I feel the need that I have to explain by using all the info I have gathered because people are too ignorant to look at the other side of the argument.

If someone went on another medical school thread and started being a complete ass, people would defend that medical school. That's all in doing with Manchester. I never started the bitching and rudeness on this thread at all!!!!
Someone else did, and then as soon as I say a comment defending Manc all of a sudden I'm the one being argumentative and people gang up on me. Well tbh it's a load of bull****. All I was doing was actually helping the orig poster and asking them what the decision making going before other people got involved.

Again this thread has turned into another argument about Manchester! I wasn't the one who started it! This thread was pretty nice before others had to get their bitch faces on and get involved.

There are other courses that are in the same situation, but the only reason why Manchester comes up time and time again in these arguments is because, just about everyone knows the university and it is known world wide. (I think)
Reply 45
Original post by RollerBall
This hows last years. This years hasn't been released in documentation to students yet, we were e-mailed by our dean to tell us we'd moved up to second though, and Imperial have also had a release to say they were first.

I didn't guess. You can look for yourself, what have I got to gain from making it up? The only documentation I can find is in a .pdf in the first half of my post. The table cuts off due to poor formatting and only shows the top 16 with Manchester nowhere to be found. Last year 90% of Barts medics got their no.1 choice for their foundation posts.

PBL is less present at Barts, you misread my post. I never said anything about Manchester. Manchester is known for being incredibly PBL based and students complaining about little direction/teaching.

The "new curriculum" is all based on rumours. There's been no documentation available, nobody knows if it's going to be good or bad. I can't see Manchester taking a radical leep from their old curriculum which was massively PBL based. The reason I never applied to Manchester was I couldn't be sure I'd love PBL that much. Granted, I don't mind it now but I'm happy with it being ~20% of the course, not 80%+. Barts student satisfaction is actually considerably higher than Manchester's (Based on poster above, feel free to correct me. I am 99% certain it is higher though). Although, anybody who takes interest in medical league tables needs to sort out their mindset.

Regardless, this is all arbitrary. Mode of entry into foundation programs may have changed massively by the time we've graduated. You're much better off going on where you feel most comfortable. Do you want a big or small university? Do you want a lot of PBL or not so much? Do you want to live in Manchester or London? These are all choices only the OP can make for themselves.

Had a look at the document. Looks good. Thanks! One question though, why do you look at the MTAS? It probably changes quite a bit (especially in the middle, every year). Do you have the past couple of years MTAS scores? Then I can see how much it varies (obiously will be dependant on what students attend there).
Reply 46
Original post by Gowrav
There are other courses that are in the same situation, but the only reason why Manchester comes up time and time again in these arguments is because, just about everyone knows the university and it is known world wide. (I think)

I don't know why I bother arguing tbh. I just can't walk away from an argument, I always have to defend the underdog.
Anyways I'm going to try and use all my self control from now on.
The peninsula threads are always so much more peaceful.
Reply 47
I don't know why I bother arguing tbh. I just can't walk away from an argument, I always have to defend the underdog.
Anyways I'm going to try and use all my self control from now on.
The peninsula threads are always so much more peaceful.

Lol, I'm similar, except I just ignore them. Because at the end of the day I don't care what people say about anything really.
Reply 48
wow guys I really appreciate all the replies but honestly I didnt start this thread to watch an unfruitful argument blossom.

I'm an international student (from Singapore) and hence my aim is to work and practice in Singapore upon graduation. Having said that, my cousin told me that her fiance who is a doctor has had junior doctors who are Manchester graduates and he felt that they were not well trained. In contrast, my cousin knows doctors who are Barts graduates and are doing very well currently.

I am not saying that all Manchester graduates are poorly trained or that all Barts graduates will make fine doctors. There will be a mix of both in any university. And I am not gonna make a decision based on her opinion alone.

Having said that, I have read the Barts and Manchester undergraduate 2011 prospectus multiple times and I personally like the Barts course outline better as I feel that it is more focused and structured. Manchester's course structure seems a little disjointed to me, and I prefer to learn things one at a time and not take on too many disciplines at once. Hence I am more skewed towards Barts (which explains my signature).

I am still keeping an open mind though as I am going to visit both schools late April and at the same time attend the Manchester Open Day so I will be more informed, or I might just go to a local university in Singapore if my application is successful.

My point is, I dont think its useful to quarrel over medical schools, much worse quarrelling and having personal attacks on one another and accusing the other of misreading or misinterpreting posts. Having a peaceful discussion will yield much better results and make everyone happy as they get the answers they want ( the reason for the existence of this forum )

Peace out.
Anyone got a link to MTAS scores os all the universities - Glasgow isn't on there?
Reply 50
Anyone got a link to MTAS scores os all the universities - Glasgow isn't on there?

There is just bad formatting on there so you won't be able to see the whole list.
Reply 51
Original post by divineboy92
wow guys I really appreciate all the replies but honestly I didnt start this thread to watch an unfruitful argument blossom.

I'm an international student (from Singapore) and hence my aim is to work and practice in Singapore upon graduation. Having said that, my cousin told me that her fiance who is a doctor has had junior doctors who are Manchester graduates and he felt that they were not well trained. In contrast, my cousin knows doctors who are Barts graduates and are doing very well currently.

I am not saying that all Manchester graduates are poorly trained or that all Barts graduates will make fine doctors. There will be a mix of both in any university. And I am not gonna make a decision based on her opinion alone.

Having said that, I have read the Barts and Manchester undergraduate 2011 prospectus multiple times and I personally like the Barts course outline better as I feel that it is more focused and structured. Manchester's course structure seems a little disjointed to me, and I prefer to learn things one at a time and not take on too many disciplines at once. Hence I am more skewed towards Barts (which explains my signature).

I am still keeping an open mind though as I am going to visit both schools late April and at the same time attend the Manchester Open Day so I will be more informed, or I might just go to a local university in Singapore if my application is successful.

My point is, I dont think its useful to quarrel over medical schools, much worse quarrelling and having personal attacks on one another and accusing the other of misreading or misinterpreting posts. Having a peaceful discussion will yield much better results and make everyone happy as they get the answers they want ( the reason for the existence of this forum )

Peace out.

Your sig is beautiful :daydreaming:
Reply 52
Original post by haleem
Your sig is beautiful :daydreaming:

yours is too. :biggrin: and I respect you man. You didnt give up despite your 09 and 10 UCAS.
Not many people can do that.:yy:
Reply 53

I've never belittled daveo, just because I dont agree with him doesn't mean I belittle him. He forces his opinion on everyone who's interested in Manchester in an arrogant, demeaning way. When I first came accross him I tried messaging him to get help, what did he do, he completely belittled me, so let me think why I don't like him. So get your facts right.

Pretty sure I didn't belittle you! I answered your very simple question:

Daveo
ryan118244
Hey, this is probably a wierd message but I noticed your signature about manchester being the worst medical school, and I was wondering whether you thought it was a really bad med school?

Yes, its horrific, goto one of the others in your signature if you get an offer!

Only then did you ask me why. Unfortunately I don't have time to reply to everyone who asks me about Manchester, at least not until I see them slag me off for no reason! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending