The Student Room Group

Are women just looking for rich men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the realist
Most women don't really care(or even understand) what a successful business man, doctor, engineer etc does at work all day. .

You mean women don't work in business, or become doctors or engineers?

Women couldn't possibly become doctors :rolleyes:
Reply 61
Original post by crazycake93
If that career was in Disposal Management ( a binman in laymans terms) would that matter to you?

Well, yes, but only because I doubt we'd have much in common, as I have ambitions to become a lawyer and I would need stimulating intellectual conversations to keep me interested, and I doubt a binman would be able to provide that.
Not at all. All of my boyfriends have been poor and starving artists/musicians.
Reply 63
To be fair i get a lot more attention from girls when i drive past in my car compared to my work van. Although they carefully mask the attribute of money as 'security'
Original post by .Ali.
Well, yes, but only because I doubt we'd have much in common, as I have ambitions to become a lawyer and I would need stimulating intellectual conversations to keep me interested, and I doubt a binman would be able to provide that.

That's just harsh, who says he wasn't an intellectual?
Perhaps he was a late bloomer when it came to education, and he missed out.

Assume that he can provide intellectually stimulating conversations....
Reply 65
Original post by .Ali.

Should a 'bin man' even be allowed to speak to you, how dare they.
Reply 66
The dailymail is not worth the paper it's printed on.
Reply 67
It’s not just money though…. It’s status, clout, financial security, the ability to be spontaneous without scraping pennies together. Basically a woman is naturally attracted to (although not always consciously aware of the attraction) someone who is well known, well liked, not poor. And then the looks, humour, etc comes as a bonus.

For example, I moved to a new town not too long ago. Met a bunch of people and started hanging round with them at pubs, etc. I was the outsider really, the others were well known, they could walk down the street and be stopped 5 times in a 2 minute walk, they walk into a pub they know the bar staff, etc. I got with this girl on a night out who was also friends with the group. I let on that I was pretty broke before getting in with her. She also knew I didn’t know many people in the area. In the next month I tried to get her out, for a drink or meal…. Turns out she started going out with this guy in the group who knew everyone in town, was older than me & therefore had more money. This guy is short & weird looking, not handsome at all… Whereas (just to prove a point) I get compliments and girls staring at me.

When girls look at a potential partner, they consider how much fun they could have with them and how much stress they may have with them. If a guy is well known, rich and well liked, chances are, a relationship with that person will be stress free and fun.
Reply 68
Original post by No Future

Argh no! My universe is imploding! :eek:

I can't say I have a vast wealth of relationship experience to draw upon, but wealth has never really been a deciding factor for me. However, the fact that my fiancé has a fairly well-paid job with good prospects is definitely a bonus, but doesn't mean I'd dump him if it all went wrong and he lost that.
Original post by baffled_mathman
I've just read this article in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375720/What-women-really-want--money-Research-finds-women-look-paid-job-partner.html

(No comments just criticising the Mail and not discussing the point please!)

The article says that women look for men with money or well paid jobs. It's always been obvious to me that women do look for money above everything else, blatantly obvious.
But what I don't understand is why women won't admit it most of the time? Is it because they want to fool men into thinking they want them for their looks/sense of humour/personality/whatever, when in actual fact they are after his wallet?

Ah okay, I'll totally ignore prior instances throughout my life of women with men who are anything but wealthy and believe what the Daily Mail tells me. :rolleyes:
Original post by iCrackMyselfUp
Women are gold-digging bitches.

This was figured out by Cave Men Millenniums ago.

The Cave Women would prostitute them selves to the guys with the biggest Caves and dead meat.

LOOOOOL biggest cave and most meat that’s funny! But not all women at the same! my Boyfriend earns ALOT of money and one the main things we argue about is that I wont let him pay off some of my debt, but I don’t want him too, I got myself into it and ill get myself out. I wouldn’t want to go out with somebody who’s worse off than me, but they wouldn’t have to be richer.
Original post by ellakrystina
Not at all. All of my boyfriends have been poor and starving artists/musicians.

Let me guess, you're still in University?
I just split up with a pretty serious ex who was broke, but beautiful and relatively charming when he wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, he worked in a steady trade, just rubbish with money. We thought we'd be together forever etc., so I obviously would have considered children despite the fact he was/is never going to be rich.

Would I want to do it again? Not really. His lack of money meant we missed out of holidays, things our friends were doing, he owes me money even now.

It's not that I'm a gold digger. I just want someone on level par with me in monetary terms. If he has a bit more and can spoil me, that's great but in no way necessary.
Reply 73
That's just harsh, who says he wasn't an intellectual?
Perhaps he was a late bloomer when it came to education, and he missed out.

Assume that he can provide intellectually stimulating conversations....

No it isn't harsh, usually people of that profession aren't as intelligent as others. You can go to uni at any age though, there are access courses and the like.

And well, it depends. I can't see it as that scenario is unlikely.
Reply 74
Original post by Manc990
Should a 'bin man' even be allowed to speak to you, how dare they.

I have no problem with them, I'm just saying I'd probably not have much in common with them.
Yep, a lot of gals are looking for money. Splash a few hundred pounds around next time you go to a club, and watch how women magically appear around you.
Original post by No Future

No actually they can, but does every engineer marry another engineer? does every business man marry another business woman?? yes they CAN, but look at the real world and please note whos making by far the most cashmoney in these jobs? yep it's men. Theoretical equality is all very good but in the real world things are different, just like theoretically equality means women should be earning more than their partners and supporting them in an even ratio.....but that doesn't happen!!

NO, in fact hypergamy dictates that a successful man will usually have access to the women below him in status, as oppose to those equal to him proffessionally and financially. Thus they often end up with a little twerp who doesn't really appreciate his career or achievements, just likes spending his money.
Original post by .Ali.
No it isn't harsh, usually people of that profession aren't as intelligent as others. You can go to uni at any age though, there are access courses and the like.

And well, it depends. I can't see it as that scenario is unlikely.

Of course you can go to Uni at any age, but firstly he might not be able to afford it, secondly how snobbish are you that you'd only go out with him if he's been to Uni. Finally what if he's satisfied with his job?
Reply 78
Of course you can go to Uni at any age, but firstly he might not be able to afford it, secondly how snobbish are you that you'd only go out with him if he's been to Uni. Finally what if he's satisfied with his job?

I'm not saying I'd only date him if he'd been to University. :rolleyes: I was merely saying that your point about him missing out on the educational system could easily be corrected.

If he was satisfied with his job, was intelligent, and was a lovely person, then possibly.
SO what comfort is money to a guy when your girls been banging all sorts throughout her life? Tall guys, charismatic guys, artistic guys, well hung guys, muscular guys, handsome guys, drug dealers and popular guys......shes been banging all of them, but when it comes to settling down, she needs a little security.....lol.

Money won't buy you loyalty poindexter. Go on the grind and get that cash for your own personal pride, the things YOU want and your own security.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending