The Student Room Group

only 452 black students in the UK met Oxfords entry requirements!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teadrinker
Well, firstly, Oxford ?University care, as they are being told to take more black students. If there are only a few hundred making the requirements, it seems unfair to hold a University responsible. Rather the schools system should be held to account.

Secondly, to improve our wonderful multicultural society, we need more black professionals, and this is not going to happen if such a minuscule amount is getting educated properly.

Maybe your attitude is "they're only blacks, so they don't need education" - seems a bit sinister to me....

that's funny considering i'm half black :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by *Hakz*
First of all, a recent report concluded that out of the 452 black students that achieved the AAA A'level grade, 49% of those applied to the most competitive courses at Oxford such as Medicine e.t.c. However 29,000 white students achieved this grade but only 28% applied to Oxford.

28% of black students applied for medicine while 7% white students applied for that same course.

Some reasons why this figure looks like this could be the reasons of cultural capital and cultural deprivation. More white middle/upper class students would have attended a private school hence boosting their application to Oxford. If only we could see the figures of how many of those black students attended private schools then we could make a valid conclusion.

I generally think it is down to the class system that causes all these inequality. White upper/middle class family can sometimes buy their way into education through private tuition, moving to expensive locations in order to get into the best school/s. The amount of black background that does the same will be really really low. Universities can also find out what location you live therefore they know if you live in deprived area or not.

It is simply unfair to reject a capable student just because they might have attended a comprehensive school instead of a private school.

But that isn't what is happening. People who don't get good enough grades don't get accepted.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
TSR STAR's response is so ridiculously ignorant. :facepalm2:

When I saw the thread title, I thought, "Oh no, not this again". But it really is a problem that so many black students aren't performing as well as students of other ethnicities.

Oxford are going to take their best students. That's it. You can't choose to take students over others mainly due to their race.
Reply 23
Original post by The TSR Star.
that's funny considering i'm half black :wink:

Whats even funnier is that I bet they were white.
Original post by baldwin123
Whats even funnier is that I bet they were white.

what? who?
Reply 25
Well, this just shows that the current schooling/education system favours those from the higher social-economic classes, nothing else.

Race has absolutely nothing to do with it (other than the fact that a large amount of black people in the UK live in deprived areas). Unfortunately, we will probably now see some pointless quota system introduced which will give black students Oxford places based on the colour of their skin. Not only is this unfair, but it completely detracts from the main issue at hand.
Reply 26
what? who?

The person you were responding too, who seemed, very kindly of them to be teaching you to appreciate black people.
Reply 27
Original post by rugbyladosc
Students from middle class backgrounds perform better academically. Proportionately there are more poor black students so they are disadvantaged thus resulting in worse exam results. So therefore academic performance in the UK is completely dependent on race due to social inequalities and other factors.

You're drawing an incorrect conclusion from your evidence. Your evidence supports the theory that its based on socio economics, not race. Its got nothing to do with race at all, it just happens to be that the black population are less well off. Its dependent on class not race.
And?
The person you were responding too, who seemed, very kindly of them to be teaching you to appreciate black people.

The best students get into Oxford. Surely, they can't still be racist in 2011. That's all im saying
Reply 30
Original post by StephenP91
If you don't get the results, you don't get in. A fair system.

In a society where everyone is subject to the same levels of teaching and grades are measured predominantly on effort ad motivation, then yes. However when there is such a massive gap in between the levels of the education received then no, its not really a fair system.

Original post by Dekota-XS
This topic is ludicriously funny. Intellect is independent of race. Are you trying to imply that Oxford is racist or discriminating?

Great, I'm going to be neg repped now...

No what is ludicrously funny though is your inability to read past the title and yet feel obliged to write some fail attempt at cynicism. Im pretty sure that OP is in fact arguing against the notion that the culpability for such a scenario should be left at Oxford Uni's door.

Its a cultural thing. Plenty of Asians come from deprived backgrounds too but their parents drive them to achieve at school.

Black inner city culture in this country has a lot to answer for in promoting an attitude of lack of respect for authority and this doom and gloom outlook of "why should we bother".

Too much obsession with trying to look cool and building up your muscles and trying to bed lots of women, which is fine but don't expect to do it on a Doctors salary.

By the way, there hasn't been an accurate census taken here for 10 years. How can there have been when the government freely admits that they don't have a clue who is here? Im betting that black people make up more like 8 or 10 percent of this nation.

Lol you haven't been to my school - I go to a grammar school where most of the black pupils are the over achievers - my friend for example got 12A*s at GCSE and 4As at AS level. I don't like people shoving all black people into one group because depending on where your parents are from, and how they were brought up, you may well end up with the pushiest parents on the planet. I don't know what this concept is of trying to look cool either - don't generalise.
Reply 32
The best students get into Oxford. Surely, they can't still be racist in 2011. That's all im saying

Yeah, I would strongly doubt that they would get away with institutional racism in todays climate. There may very well be racist individuals on the board of selection but Im pretty sure that they would have to keep their views well hidden.
Reply 33
A black person is the same as me, they may well have public school, as do I.
Being black doesn't disadvantage them.
Reply 34

But that isn't what is happening. People who don't get good enough grades don't get accepted.

The black students that are referring to did get the required grades. I am also just generally pointing to the fact as why black students fail to compete with white students academically. As you can see the stats yourself. 452 blacks achieved AAA and 29,000 whites achieved those grades.

Also, out of the 492 that did achieve those grades, 49% applied for the most competitive courses at Oxford compared to 28% of the whites. Basically 221 black students apply compated to 8120 white students. Approximately 30 black students gained admission which is quite tiny. What I am tryin to point out is that the rest might have been successful due to factors such as educational background, social class e.t.c.
Reply 35
Original post by Evangelica
Lol you haven't been to my school - I go to a grammar school where most of the black pupils are the over achievers - my friend for example got 12A*s at GCSE and 4As at AS level. I don't like people shoving all black people into one group because depending on where your parents are from, and how they were brought up, you may well end up with the pushiest parents on the planet. I don't know what this concept is of trying to look cool either - don't generalise.

I wouldnt even dare to say that all black people are from the same background mate. My point was simply about one particular demographic.
Original post by angelmxxx
There aren't that many black people in the UK to start with, in the 2001 census it was 2% of the population. Oxford's stats show 1.5% of their students are black.

Yes half a percent lower but when you are dealing with small numbers that's a pretty good match!

And as other people have said, it's much more about social class than ethnicity. A higher % of black people are in the poorest households.

Yeah I was going to say something along these lines.

If you're expecting equal numbers for each ethnicity then you're forgetting that Britain is still predominantly white (although for how long I don't know) so there are bound to be higher numbers of white students getting into Oxford.

I have a friend who is black, and he said that it drives him mad when people talk like this; because if he did get into Oxford, or get a job, he'd like to think that he got there on merit rather than just because they had to fill a quota. I mean, how patronising is it to say that you can get in somewhere because of their skin colour? It's just as bad, in my opinion, as being negatively racist.
Original post by *Hakz*
The black students that are referring to did get the required grades. I am also just generally pointing to the fact as why black students fail to compete with white students academically. As you can see the stats yourself. 452 blacks achieved AAA and 29,000 whites achieved those grades.

Also, out of the 492 that did achieve those grades, 49% applied for the most competitive courses at Oxford compared to 28% of the whites. Basically 221 black students apply compated to 8120 white students. Approximately 30 black students gained admission which is quite tiny. What I am tryin to point out is that the rest might have been successful due to factors such as educational background, social class e.t.c.

The most competitive courses clearly are harder to get into. Classics has an acceptance rate of about 41%, compared to 7% for another Oxford course (I think it's Economics and Mangement).

Black students apply disproportionately for medicine, economics, etc. - which are hardest to get in to.

30/221 = 13.5% which is higher than 7%. I can't see what you're trying to show here.
well they do actually... My school has put on so many 'how to get into Oxford conferences'.

As you said you went to private school. So get off that high horse and stop talking **** with no experience to back it up. You condescending prick.

This barely relates to what you're quoting - how on earth did you pick up condescension in that post? Why is experience necessary to make quite a general comment on the need to increase social equality?

Students from middle class backgrounds perform better academically. Proportionately there are more poor black students so they are disadvantaged thus resulting in worse exam results. So therefore academic performance in the UK is completely dependent on race due to social inequalities and other factors.

That's a mighty self-admitted non sequiter. A correlating factor does not necessarily mean causation, in this fact it's clear, and you admit it yourself, that wealth is the primary determinant of exam results.
A lot of black people lack the motivation and drive to go to university full stop. Most of my black friends aren’t even going to university at all because and I quote “they think it’s a waste of time and money”. They also have this believe that even if they go because of how racist people can be they wont be able to find jobs anyway. I can see some truth in this at times but its not enough for me to say well I’m just going to sit at home there. So out of the black people who actually want to go to university half of them are two scared to every apply top ranking universities for fear of what there friends would say or think of them. When you add that all together, half of them not wanting to go and then a ¼ not wanting to apply you aren’t going to have a lot of students that hit the criteria.
I think grammar schools should be made to enrol more ethnic students who show potential in the 11+, because then more ethnic people would be around people who have that drive and it would be natural to want to apply to a better universities. You cant blame Oxford because by time a student is 18 there’s not much oxford can do but reject them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending