The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by applestrudle
...seeing as:
- I'm brown

What does that have to do with anything? :confused:
Reply 41
You have no chance whatsoever.

As you said earlier, you're BROWN, which really takes away all the chances of getting into Oxford that you had.

</sarcasm>

Honestly? Get the grades, polish up on your interview skills and you should be able to get a place if you have the interest :smile:
Reply 43
You missed out the most important - How good are you at Chemistry? :tongue:
No chance at all :rolleyes:

Depends on lots of things. What are your grades? How well you do at interview is important bu then again you can better at that!
Reply 45
The fact that you can express yourself online must mean something. Are you sure your not just looking for a ego boost or someone to actually nudge you towards applying in the first place.
Original post by Elles

This! Come on, OP...
Reply 47
They'd never discriminate against you for being brown. Black on the other hand....
...seeing as:
- I'm brown
- I go to a state school
- Sometimes I find being articulate difficult so interviews are probably going to go badly
- The chances of me getting an internship/work experience is zilch

but on the up side:
- People from my school have gotten into Oxford (but more have gotten into Cambridge)
- My grades are decent/good

if you need any more details, ask =)

You don't need any work experience - hard to get any pre-university really - just brush up on interview performance and get the grades and you've got as good a chance as anyone :smile:
Reply 49
I also heard having activities outside of work really helps even anything to make the university look good after youve left. I write for http://www.thestu.co.uk and its really helped me in finding work and building of social skills.
Original post by Elles

I'm pretty good at chemistry and I enjoy it a lot - I got 99 UMS in January, I got 99 UMS in Maths as well and high A s in Bio and Physics.
At GCSE I got 7 A*s, 2 As and 2 Bs. I also did a ICT AS alongside my GCSEs but that was really to brush up my IT skills (I'm pretty technophobic).

But my teacher told me not to bother with oxbridge because I'm not "oxbridge material" so I guessed it wasn't to do with my grades.
Original post by danhirons
You don't need any work experience - hard to get any pre-university really - just brush up on interview performance and get the grades and you've got as good a chance as anyone :smile:

How do you go about getting good at interviews? I'm guessing mock interviews? But they don't do Oxbridge mock interviews at my school.
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
This! Come on, OP...

OP? :confused:
OP? :confused:

Original poster.
How do you go about getting good at interviews? I'm guessing mock interviews? But they don't do Oxbridge mock interviews at my school.

I had one mock interview the day before my interview and that was it - plus I completely flopped at it. I don't believe in all this mock interview rubbish as they'll be completely different to the real thing. Only an oxford chemistry tutor knows what the interview will be like - not teachers from your college. Though, I suppose how shocking my performance was in my mock interview did make me aware of how much effort I'd need to put in. Just learn your chemistry stuff. You can't get "good" at interviews. It's not like a job interview where you say why you're the right person for the job etc. it's just a test of your chemistry knowledge and for the tutor's to see if you'll fit in at oxford. Trust me, persuade your chemistry teachers to do a few mock interviews and read a bit about stuff you haven't done in your a level syllabus yet because they will test you on any part of it even if you say you haven't done it yet! That's all really :smile:
Original post by danhirons
I had one mock interview the day before my interview and that was it - plus I completely flopped at it. I don't believe in all this mock interview rubbish as they'll be completely different to the real thing. Only an oxford chemistry tutor knows what the interview will be like - not teachers from your college. Though, I suppose how shocking my performance was in my mock interview did make me aware of how much effort I'd need to put in. Just learn your chemistry stuff. You can't get "good" at interviews. It's not like a job interview where you say why you're the right person for the job etc. it's just a test of your chemistry knowledge and for the tutor's to see if you'll fit in at oxford. Trust me, persuade your chemistry teachers to do a few mock interviews and read a bit about stuff you haven't done in your a level syllabus yet because they will test you on any part of it even if you say you haven't done it yet! That's all really :smile:

wow that makes me feel a lot better about it - i just guessed everyone who got into oxbrigde has been prepped since they were like 15 or something

thanks so much :smile:
wow that makes me feel a lot better about it - i just guessed everyone who got into oxbrigde has been prepped since they were like 15 or something

thanks so much :smile:

I'm told that Oxbridge tutors don't like applicants to be overprepared for interview, though I think it's a good idea to have one dry run just to take the edge off. Concentrate on answering the questions you're asked, tell them what you're thinking and you'll be fine.

Chin up and tell your teachers confidently that you are definitely going to apply, they'll soon get behind you :smile: Your grades are great and race is completely irrelevant.

...seeing as:
- I'm brown
- I go to a state school
- Sometimes I find being articulate difficult so interviews are probably going to go badly
- The chances of me getting an internship/work experience is zilch

but on the up side:
- People from my school have gotten into Oxford (but more have gotten into Cambridge)
- My grades are decent/good

if you need any more details, ask =)

http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/ungrad-admissionscriteria.html

Introduction

The University and its colleges seek to admit students of high academic merit and potential. All colleges select students for admission without regard to marital status, race, ethnic origins, colour, religion or social background. Decisions on admission are based solely on the individual merits of the candidate and the application of selection criteria appropriate to the course of study.

Entry is competitive and the attainment of minimum standards is no guarantee of a place.

Criteria

(i) Academic ability
Reasoning ability; aptitude for analysing and solving problems using logical and critical approaches
Mathematical ability.
Capacity to absorb new ideas and to apply familiar ideas to unfamiliar situations
Spirit of enquiry: desire to understand the reasons for observations; enthusiasm and curiosity in science
An understanding of the chemical concepts covered in courses taken so far.

(ii) Interest in Chemistry
Including an appreciation of some aspects of it outside the confines of the A level syllabus (or equivalent)

(iii) Motivation and perseverance
An enthusiasm for chemistry and the motivation to pursue an academically demanding four-your course

(iv) Independent working and communication
Ability to work independently; willingness and ability to express ideas clearly and effectively orally, in writing and numerically; ability to listen

(v) Educational achievement
GCE: Good grades at GCSE are expected, especially in science and mathematics. Three A-levels are required, which must include Chemistry and preferably Mathematics. The standard conditional offer at present is A*AA. The A* must be in either a science or mathematics.
SCE: Five Highers plus Advanced Highers (or CSYS) are required. These must include Chemistry. The typical offer at Advanced Higher is AAB or AA.
International Baccalaureate: 38+, including grade 7 in Chemistry and 6/7 in Mathematics at higher level.
Applications are welcomed from those studying for qualifications other than those listed above.

The selectors assess each candidate against the above criteria on the basis of the following information, taking into account the educational background of students and the level of their existing knowledge and experience.
UCAS application, including references and personal statement
Examination results
Interview
Candidates (or their referees) will also have the opportunity to present any special factors that may
have adversely affected their attainment so far.
Original post by Reminisce
Huh? - If you're on about race, they WOULD NOT accept/decline on the basis of that.

Oxbridge says that they would not discriminant so as long as you can get the grades then it's fine.

Practice - Debating Society? Interview practice?

Not required for most subjects - just read

And also, as you may know, grades are one of the most important factors so we can't really rate your chances without them...

Do you work at Oxford?
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Do you work at Oxford?

I thought you wanted opinions from TSR? Not everyone works in Oxford but most of us are students going through the same thing, enduring the same experience... We can offer help and all to each other yeesh...

And about the rating the grades thing, we can still give a comparison relative to each other so I don't see how I would have to work at Oxford to provide advice.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending