The Student Room Group

Your views on marriage and weddings?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
How long to you think is ideal to be with someone before getting engaged? (I mean, how long would YOU want to be with someone before engagement, I know it is different for different people) It'd depend why I was getting engaged.
How long do you think an engagement should last?(again, how long would YOU want to be engaged) I guess I'd be getting engaged for the legal practicalities of marriage, so I'd assume it'd be a couple of months at most for me.
Do you want to get married? Not particularly. This probably sounds judgemental but I always feel sorry for married and pregnant woman. I'd only get married if I was in a relationship with a guy and wanted to adopt, or for life insurance(not that I'm a gold digger, though most of the legal benefits of marriage are of a financial nature), or whatever.
If yes then do you want a wedding? or just sign the register? It's not yes as such, but if I were to get married I'd probably just sign at the register. Though idk.
Would you want to be married in a church? Only for irony's sake since everyone who knows me knows my views on religion and marriage. I guess it'd be sort of comical. But then I'd have to have a proper wedding, and for an anecdote I don't think it's worth the ~15k tbh.

I'm an Atheist.

EMZ=]
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Smophy
This thread is just for curiosities sake.

How long to you think is ideal to be with someone before getting engaged? (I mean, how long would YOU want to be with someone before engagement, I know it is different for different people)
How long do you think an engagement should last? (again, how long would YOU want to be engaged)
Do you want to get married?
If yes then do you want a wedding? or just sign the register?
Would you want to be married in a church?

Would be interesting if you say what religion you follow, especially keen to hear from atheists.

I myself am an atheist.
I think you should be together for a fair few years before getting engaged.
I don't like the idea of a long engagement, people seem to get engaged before they have real plan to get married, this is not for me. I think a year is longest I would want to be engaged for.
I do want to get married but I don't want a wedding. Would rather spend the money on a very long luxurious honeymoon. After all getting married is about you and your partner, not about entertaining family and friends.
If I was to have a wedding, a small one, I wouldn't have it in a church. It would feel hypocritical of me as an atheist to do so. Stately home would be just as nice.

i'm a VERY liberal Muslim with some traditional Bangladeshi views

How long to you think is ideal to be with someone before getting engaged?
about 2-5 months

How long do you think an engagement should last?
Until June/July/Christmas day/New years eve - either one of those days are when i want my anniversary to be celebrated :biggrin:
so i guess whichever comes first, given that it's been ATLEAST 2-5 months - whenever we feel ready i guess

YES! some people wanna sky dive before they die, i want a career and a family!

Wedding! I'm not entirely sure if I wanna legally marry incase it doesn't work out then having to go through everything you do when legally divorcing seems really messy, long and complicated! I don't know enough about legal divorces so I'm making my judgement too early.

Muslim - mosque and no.
I'd hire out a hall or my dream would be in a beach but that's a bit far-fetched lol
I want a big-ish wedding but not to entertain people, just for the memories =)
Original post by im so academic
:colonhash:

I would personally hate that.

Well I didn't suggest that you live my life you know. Everybody has their own lives!
Original post by Angie varona

This.

You're from /b/ aren't you? I'd recognise those over-used, not-really-that-funny memes anywhere
Reply 44
Original post by Smophy

How long to you think is ideal to be with someone before getting engaged? (I mean, how long would YOU want to be with someone before engagement, I know it is different for different people)
How long do you think an engagement should last? (again, how long would YOU want to be engaged)

Would be interesting if you say what religion you follow, especially keen to hear from atheists.

I myself am an atheist.
I think you should be together for a fair few years before getting engaged.
I don't like the idea of a long engagement, people seem to get engaged before they have real plan to get married, this is not for me. I think a year is longest I would want to be engaged for.
I do want to get married but I don't want a wedding. Would rather spend the money on a very long luxurious honeymoon. After all getting married is about you and your partner, not about entertaining family and friends.
If I was to have a wedding, a small one, I wouldn't have it in a church. It would feel hypocritical of me as an atheist to do so. Stately home would be just as nice.

My partner and I had been together around 4 years when we got engaged, and by the time we marry we'll have been engaged for just over 2 years. We will be having a wedding, but nothing too extravagent and no it won't be in a church as I'm non-religious and he's muslim (though that's mostly cultural rather than actual belief) :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I think that couples should know each other for a while before getting engaged, and have been dating for aprox. 6months-1 year.
The engagement should be just over a year,
I definitely want to get married, gimme the big white wedding, church, the lot! I'd much rather have a fantastic wedding than an expensive honeymoon :smile:
I'm a Christian.
Reply 46
Why did I get negged? Just because I say people get married without fully knowing each other? Yeah, I'm probably wrong. Just look at the divorce statistics :rolleyes:
Original post by Smophy

How long to you think is ideal to be with someone before getting engaged?
well i was with my finance for a year until we got engaged, i think most people i knew were against it because i was only 19 at the time..
How long do you think an engagement should last?
Until we can afford a wedding! wont be until i have a job in teaching so not until at least 2013 i wouldnt of thought- if we won the lottery it would be asap :rolleyes:
Yes- i dont see the point of being engaged if im not getting married- but thats just my opinon

I was christened but thats as religious as i get. i dont follow the faith and my finance wasnt even christened so i dont think its right for me to get married in a church. i would love a stately home in the norfolk countryside. i want it to be the one day people's eyes are on since im never like that normally.
Reply 48
Is there even any point in getting married nowadays?
Reply 49
Original post by Smophy

1) I'd want to be with someone a few years before getting engaged, I'd don't think I could commit to marry someone after only dating for a few months.
2) I don't really have a time limit on how long an engagement should last, my cousin got engaged at 19 but they didn't marry until they were 30. I wouldn't mind, but as long as I'm married before I have children.
3) Yes I do want to get married.
4) I want a wedding, not a massive one with those awful puffy cinderella dresses, It'd be small, probably quite simple. I'd rather spend most of the money and a long luxury honeymoon.
5) Yes I'll marry in my church.
Reply 50
Original post by hippieglitter
My parents got married in my mums college chapel and had to apply for special licence to have the ceremony done there. I don't know if you still need to do that or whether they are licensed as standard procedure these days.

Yeah, you still need a special licence from the Archbishop of Canterbury to get married in a college chapel as it's not your usual parish church. Some colleges are also now licenced for civil ceremonies.

I would have loved to get married in my college chapel but it is only available for weddings on a few weekends a year so was booked up until May 2012. Plus my fiancé didn't want a religious wedding. So we are having a civil ceremony at his best man's college, followed by a blessing in his college chapel, which keeps us both happy (apart from being in Oxford :p: )

To answer the original questions, we were together years before he proposed, and there is an 11 month gap from that to the wedding. We are having quite a big reception, because I want to celebrate with our friends and family, and there are quite a lot of them! We're not going overboard on spending though.
Original post by Pink Bullets
What's the big rush all about? :confused:

Well the thing is, I know so many people who get engaged and then just forget about making wedding plans, they don't think about making arrangements they just carry on with life as it is. And what I'm saying is engagement should mean something special, the reason behind engagement should be that two people want to get married to each other in the near future, so as soon as you're engaged you should start to plan for the wedding...not carry on as normal and spend years and years engaged without planning a wedding, it just makes engagement meaningless if you don't actually start planning the wedding as soon as.

When I get engaged I want it to be because the guy I'm with wants to marry me as soon as, and I'd want to be married within a year or as soon as the arrangements have all been made. I don't want to be engaged for years and not plan anything, because otherwise it's like the engagement means nothing.
Original post by hippieglitter
Ivy? Are you saying you want a green gown or did you mean ivory. When discussing it with my mum she said it depends on skin tone, on some skin tones ivory can look very white, so I would probably have an ivory dress too.

Oh yeah, woops!! I did mean ivory not ivy! LOL! :colondollar:.
Reply 53
The issue with marriage is that it opens up a whole load of legal issues you have absolutely no idea about. I'd be very cautious about getting married due to family law etc. It's not as if marryiong my partner will make me love them any more.
Reply 54
Oh a reason I would also like to get married is so that me, my partner and our future children all have the same surname. Idk but this means a lot to me in a way.
Reply 55
I always dreamt of marrying in a huge church and find a man who really loves me the way I am. But I just gave up dreaming. The lovely charming prince, which s good looking, honest, true and good in bed only exists in fairy tales.

Nowadays human beings are like pieces of waste. if you want to get rid of A PERSON you just throw them away. Very simple. human waste is socially accepted. you can leave whoever whenever you want to. this makes me sad. I rather prefer being alone than becoming a piece of human waste.
How long to you think is ideal to be with someone before getting engaged? (I mean, how long would YOU want to be with someone before engagement, I know it is different for different people Different for every person. I would say over a year but then again me and my now fiance were sure after 6 months, less :smile: We didn't officailly get engaged for 3 years though.

How long do you think an engagement should last? (again, how long would YOU want to be engaged) Preferably less than 2 years but I'll be different again. We're not getting married until we have the money/jobs sorted, etc. I've just finished uni and haven't got my first job yet so have absolutely no money :frown: I don't want to rush into it and be skint anyway.

Do you want to get married? If yes then do you want a wedding? or just sign the register? Ironically, I don't care about marriage lol I see it as pointless but society still says marriage is an important part of a relationship or at least expected so marriage it is. I would want to just go to a registry office and sign the register, no big deal but I think my family would kill me! I am already dreading the planning as it's going to cause a few arguments with my Mum and Dad as I am not going to do what they want (big £30'000 wedding with a few hundred guests including all the neighbours and people at home that I don't know who I "can't not ask". So yeah, to sum up - I want as little fuss as possible!

I would really resent paying £1000's for a wedding especially as we'll probably have trouble getting a house, won't be for years.

Would you want to be married in a church? Definitely not, we're both atheists. Probably a hotel.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
The issue with marriage is that it opens up a whole load of legal issues you have absolutely no idea about. I'd be very cautious about getting married due to family law etc. It's not as if marrying my partner will make me love them any more.

My thoughts exactly :smile:
Reply 58
I don't see the point in weddings. They cost so god damn much when that money could e put toward a mortgage or something useful. A glorified party if you ask me.
I'm a Christian.

I do want to get married and so does my boyfriend, we've been together 5 years. The way we talk about it suggests its kinda a done deal.
He's an atheist though, so I doubt we'll get married in a church, which is fine by me.
I do want a big wedding, because we are very sociable as a couple and we share a lot of friends. We're party people.

(However I get an inkling his parents will be paying, since they're bloody comfortable).
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending