The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot Watt University

Hi :smile: I am wanting to study German and Spanish Interpreting and Translating there but I've not visited yet,I was told by a guidance teacher it might suit what I want to do.

Is Heriot Watt University a good university,in terms of what its like studying/living there,and if its known for being crap or not..if that makes sense. :biggrin:
Reply 1
Hiya :smile:
i just accepted an unconditional to Heriot Watt for Biological Sciences and went down to the Applicants day a few weeks ago as i hadnt been or seen it before. It was lovely, the campus has a real 'community' feel if you get me? haha. All the uni buildings are close together and the halls are up behind it and they arent bad! I really liked it, all the sports facilities are amazing too and it just generally seems like a cool place!
I've heard that all the courses are good and languages and the uni in general has a 95% employment rate which you cant really argue with!
It was a wee bit outside of town but there is a bus like every 5 mins so its fine :smile:
hope this helps!
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm away down there in September to do French and German Interpreting and Translating :biggrin:

Went down to the open day back in September, loved it - agree with what ionaa said about the whole "community" feel, it's a really lovely looking campus :smile: My French teacher did the same course as me and she said it was really good - it's quite intense but you get a good standard of language there.
Reply 3
Original post by Rhi93
I'm away down there in September to do French and German Interpreting and Translating :biggrin:

Went down to the open day back in September, loved it - agree with what ionaa said about the whole "community" feel, it's a really lovely looking campus :smile: My French teacher did the same course as me and she said it was really good - it's quite intense but you get a good standard of language there.

My german teacher did the same course as me! :biggrin: I was just a bit put off at first as it looked a bit dull and foreboding etc...:colondollar:
Reply 4
Original post by OddThings
My german teacher did the same course as me! :biggrin: I was just a bit put off at first as it looked a bit dull and foreboding etc...:colondollar:

I originally rejected the idea of going there, but I went to the Open Day and then applied and I've realised that for me, it's the best course. I love translating from one language to another and there's no litterature either...so excited, I can't wait for September! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Rhi93
I originally rejected the idea of going there, but I went to the Open Day and then applied and I've realised that for me, it's the best course. I love translating from one language to another and there's no litterature either...so excited, I can't wait for September! :biggrin:

My mum wants me to go because its local :redface: Not to sound stupid,but why is no literature good? And I'm worried as I hate writing essays(in a revision rut atm) and I'm good at german but grammer is a pain.I'm just worried I'll screw it up.
Reply 6
My mum wants me to go because its local :redface: Not to sound stupid,but why is no literature good? And I'm worried as I hate writing essays(in a revision rut atm) and I'm good at german but grammer is a pain.I'm just worried I'll screw it up.

It's just a personal thing, I didn't really like having to study a book during Higher English so yeah :tongue: I'm sort of the same with essays as well...and yeah German grammar definitely isn't the easiest! My French is better than my German because I've been learning it longer but I'm worried when I start the course I'll totally struggle D: but that's just me being paranoid...
Reply 7
Original post by Rhi93
It's just a personal thing, I didn't really like having to study a book during Higher English so yeah :tongue: I'm sort of the same with essays as well...and yeah German grammar definitely isn't the easiest! My French is better than my German because I've been learning it longer but I'm worried when I start the course I'll totally struggle D: but that's just me being paranoid...

I hate writing essays on books in Higher English too.I'm paranoid about that too:colondollar:

Thanks for all your help.
Reply 8
I hate writing essays on books in Higher English too.I'm paranoid about that too:colondollar:

Thanks for all your help.

Not a prob, hope it helped a bit :smile:
Reply 9
Its good---if you're absolutely sure about your course and if you're good with technology. The whole university has a system where you have to upload your submissions and tests.....and for me it was an utter nightmare, it kept crashing and they don't make it easy I can tell you. Plus they have a very selective set of courses--no English or art courses, so be sure when you apply that you feel confident. I didn't, and I'm hopefully leaving soon, I've had a rough time there :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone tell me is the accommodation mixed male and females?
Reply 11
Its usually mixed genders....though I haven't heard of any single-gender halls during my time there.
Original post by ionaa
Hiya :smile:
i just accepted an unconditional to Heriot Watt for Biological Sciences and went down to the Applicants day a few weeks ago as i hadnt been or seen it before. It was lovely, the campus has a real 'community' feel if you get me? haha. All the uni buildings are close together and the halls are up behind it and they arent bad! I really liked it, all the sports facilities are amazing too and it just generally seems like a cool place!
I've heard that all the courses are good and languages and the uni in general has a 95% employment rate which you cant really argue with!
It was a wee bit outside of town but there is a bus like every 5 mins so its fine :smile:
hope this helps!

Hi:smile:
I realise you posted this a fair time ago, but was wondering if you could tell me a little about your experiences as I am considering the same course as you.

Thanks!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest