The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abiraleft

Original post by Abiraleft
I wanted to watch more Lumet movies, so I rented Network and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead yesterday (they didn't have 12 Angry Men or Serpico; are there any others I should be keeping a keen eye out for?). I'll probably be watching the latter in a bit.

If you haven't seen them yet, both Dog Day Afternoon and The Verdict are excellent. I might try and hunt out a copy of Verdict again, haven't seen it in a while and the plot it gripping.

In other news, I'm just finishing planning a Scream party ahead of Scream 4. :awesome: So excited for that.
Original post by Phalanges
If you haven't seen them yet, both Dog Day Afternoon and The Verdict are excellent. I might try and hunt out a copy of Verdict again, haven't seen it in a while and the plot it gripping.

In other news, I'm just finishing planning a Scream party ahead of Scream 4. :awesome: So excited for that.

Are the Scream films actually any good? I've never found slashers that interesting.
Original post by Jace Falco
Are the Scream films actually any good? I've never found slashers that interesting.

I've watched the first 2...and most of the third, and yeah they're really entertaining, and very good for slashers given most others!

I can't wait for Scream 4 :colone:

It really surprises me how many people have never seen a Scream film. They set a gold standard for parody films - they don't reference anything without doing something original or creative with it, they never use something that negates from the film and instead layer the film with references without making them the main attraction, and above all else they're absolutely hilarious, and surprisingly clever.

Also (and this is the real key to their success) they're made by a master of the genre he's parodying, and so it never feels clunky and also when he occasionally plays it straight there are some quite scary moments, which is pretty unique in satire.

They're really great, particularly the first one which is a bona fide classic for the way it's since shaped the genre. Definitely check it out.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by lukejoshjedi

xD exactly the same thing I thought when I first heard Zack snyders' comments on his added realism in the man of Steel, well I keep my faith in Snyder, I'm a fan of his style anyway

It's still way to early to judge anything about the film but what do you think of the cast announced so far?

I've never seen Cavill in anything, but aside from that Costner's casting is a omen of trouble, I think. Snyder's shown several times now that he has absolutely no ability at getting anything out of actors apart from what they feel like giving, and I'm not sure that the standard Costner performance is really suited to being Superman's father.
Original post by cadaeibfeceh
I've watched the first 2...and most of the third, and yeah they're really entertaining, and very good for slashers given most others!

I can't wait for Scream 4 :colone:

I actually rly wanna see Scream 4 too, not a huge Scream fan but I remember 2 and 3. I like the cast :biggrin:
I've never seen Cavill in anything, but aside from that Costner's casting is a omen of trouble, I think. Snyder's shown several times now that he has absolutely no ability at getting anything out of actors apart from what they feel like giving, and I'm not sure that the standard Costner performance is really suited to being Superman's father.

Same on Cavill but... but Amy Adams :biggrin: either way, I think it will be possibly the most 'realistic' Superman film ever

In other news, Thor in a month - Yess

Same on Cavill but... but Amy Adams :biggrin: either way, I think it will be possibly the most 'realistic' Superman film ever

In other news, Thor in a month - Yess

What in Snyder's pedigree could possibly cause you to form the opinion that he is in any way capable of making a realistic film? I'd agree that it will be the Superman film with the most slow-mo ever, but beyond that...

There was nothing wrong with Bryan Singer's version, particularly with the sublime casting of Kevin Spacey. I imagine this new one will fall some way short of that last effort.
What in Snyder's pedigree could possibly cause you to form the opinion that he is in any way capable of making a realistic film? I'd agree that it will be the Superman film with the most slow-mo ever, but beyond that...

There was nothing wrong with Bryan Singer's version, particularly with the sublime casting of Kevin Spacey. I imagine this new one will fall some way short of that last effort.

Well I was saying that tongue in cheek, with him saying he wants a realistic superman film lol :rolleyes: imo he's not awful at doing Superhero films but taking up the mantle of a superman film, it's a lot to live up to from the point of view of good directing

I really agree with that, I quite like Superman Returns and don't really see how it 'flopped', Brandon Routh was more or less Superman, as good as if not better than Christopher Reeve in my opinion, such a perfect portrayal of the character - and yeah Kevin Spacey was great

People just hated it cos of Superman having an annoying kid... maybe because of some iffy dialogue but there aren't that many faults with the film

I really agree with that, I quite like Superman Returns and don't really see how it 'flopped'

Because Warner Bros. get upset if they only make $100m profit. :rolleyes:
Reply 990
Just watched, the blind side, not a bad movie after all.
Reply 991
Watched Tea With Mussolini last night. Would of thoroughly enjoyed it had it not been for the ATROCIOUS acting of a then teenage boy called Baird Wallace. :facepalm2:
Reply 992

I've seen Dog Day Afternoon, really liked it. John Cazale in particular really got me. I haven't seen The Verdict, I'll look around for that - thanks. :smile:

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead was amazing, it got so, so intense towards the end. I though both Philip Seymour-Hoffman and Ethan Hawkes did really well. The dialogues are really well written, particularly the more light-hearted parts of the beginning.

Now, on to Network tomorrow. :excited:
Would it not be a good idea to start a monthly film club? We all decide to watch a film that is due on TV on a specific day or time, and then we discuss it in detail after it has finished? This is like chat but in more detail and focus as the film is fresh in our memories and we can share initial thoughts and overall opinions. :holmes:

It could take place within this thread, or in a external thread within the forum. Like a book club, and not to dissimilar to the review competition, except you wouldn't be required to write a long review on the film. So we'd have more people participating.

Anyone?
The Hobbit is being shot at 48fps (and Avatar being shot at 60fps). I've never seen anything higher than 24fps outside of video games.

We are indeed shooting at the higher frame rate. The key thing to understand is that this process requires both shooting and projecting at 48 fps, rather than the usual 24 fps (films have been shot at 24 frames per second since the late 1920's). So the result looks like normal speed, but the image has hugely enhanced clarity and smoothness. Looking at 24 frames every second may seem ok--and we've all seen thousands of films like this over the last 90 years--but there is often quite a lot of blur in each frame, during fast movements, and if the camera is moving around quickly, the image can judder or "strobe."

Read more: Peter Jackson on Shooting The Hobbit at 48 fps - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=76341#ixzz1JJiG4Ev9
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Would it not be a good idea to start a monthly film club? We all decide to watch a film that is due on TV on a specific day or time, and then we discuss it in detail after it has finished? This is like chat but in more detail and focus as the film is fresh in our memories and we can share initial thoughts and overall opinions. :holmes:

It could take place within this thread, or in a external thread within the forum. Like a book club, and not to dissimilar to the review competition, except you wouldn't be required to write a long review on the film. So we'd have more people participating.

Anyone?

This is a really good idea. I'd be well up for that! I know I said that about the review competition too, but I really would have entered that if I hadn't been in Finland for the deadline (I do everything last minute) :redface:

The Hobbit is being shot at 48fps (and Avatar being shot at 60fps). I've never seen anything higher than 24fps outside of video games.

His reasons sound sensible enough, but I can't help thinking of the rather terrible consequences this might have for cinemas who haven't yet upgraded to digital projectors.

Anyone?

Sounds good to me :thumbsup:
Reply 998

The cameras can go to higher frames than that, and they're 3-D too...
"The cameras are notable for their top grade quality, which shoot in 5k resolution and are able to capture up to 128 frames per second."

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/the-hobbit-shooting-in-3d-using-red-epic-cameras
Reply 999
Am I the only person who just doesn't care at all about 3D? I'd never choose to see a film in 3D when a 2D option is available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending