The Student Room Group

Neighbour dog keeps trying to attack my cats - dunno what to do?

Hello, basically the end of my garden joins onto a neighbours only seperated by a small, stone wall and they have recently gotten a labrador dog who is constantly jumping over the wall and into my garden. I have two cats and as soon as the dog sees them he chases after them and doesn't stop, he doesn't listen to his owners calling him back and is out of control. I have tried reasoning with the owners to put the dog on a lead but they are complete idiots who shouldn't have a dog, they have no idea how to train one, but of course they don't listen and the dog is left to do whatever.

Now, labradors are usually nice dogs but I do fear that if he was to catch one of my cats it would kill them and i'm really scared for my cats :s-smilie: One is quite young and inexperienced, today I had to grab her and throw her into the house to save her life because she didn't react quick enough and the other cat is old and gets stressed very easily. I don't know what to do, someone suggested shooting at it with a air gun, but I don't want to harm the dog as I love dogs myself, should I call the dog warden or the RSPCA - what would they do to help? Because the owners just won't listen... :confused: Any advice is appreciated :smile:

tl;dr there is a neighbour's dog chasing after my cats and they won't put it on a lead and i'm scared it will kill them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Put a higher fence up? Keep your cats indoors?
Reply 2
Original post by KJane
Put a higher fence up? Keep your cats indoors?

Well yes a fence is an idea, but labs can jump quite a few feet and climb well, knowing my luck i'd get one put up and it'd still get over somehow. Keeping them indoors isn't an option really, they love being outside!
bigger fence. or if you catch their dog running in your garden, spray it with water, our dogs hate that.
Reply 4
OMG THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO LIKE 2 HOURS AGO.. FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES I THOUGHT MY POOR OSCAR HAD BECOME DOG SNACK :frown: .
After 20 minutes of hide and seek he was finally within my grasp.Almost gave me and my sister a cardiac arrest,for the dogs were barking really loud.

:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by ibysaiyan
OMG THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO LIKE 2 HOURS AGO.. FOR A COUPLE OF MINUTES I THOUGHT MY POOR OSCAR HAD BECOME DOG SNACK :frown: .
After 20 minutes of hide and seek he was finally within my grasp.Almost gave me and my sister a cardiac arrest,for the dogs were barking really loud.

:frown:

Gosh, it's awful ... I wish people would learn to look after their dogs properly :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
bigger fence. or if you catch their dog running in your garden, spray it with water, our dogs hate that.

I may try that, thanks :smile:
We have dogs who love to chase cats AND we have cats, the dogs for some reason think they are part of the pack so don't chase them (they actually cuddle up together it's rather cute :p: one of our cats even comes on walks with us) but any other cat they will chase and try to kill. Put up a higher fence is my advice, labs can't jump *that* high (relative to our greyhounds who can clear 6ft fences if they feel like it). There's no point going to the RSPCA or anything tbh, they'll just tell you/your neighbour to put a fence up - dogs will and always have chased cats, usually cats escape because they're faster/more agile/can climb trees but if you don't want to take the chance just get to B&Q, buy some mesh fence (will probably cost less than a tenner) and stick that up.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by didgeridoo12uk

LOL most dogs hate that but one of ours loves it, he just chases the water and tries to drink it. :colondollar:
Original post by Lozzo
I may try that, thanks :smile:

also i don't know about their dog... but if ours ever caught up with a cat, it would probably prod it a bit and just try to play with it rather than eat it
Reply 10
They should put up a fence (about 6 feet) to prevent the dog from jumping over. We had to for our two rescues - we have a low stone wall and just made the extra few feet up with trellis (in our case, solid fencing would have destroyed the view from the house) to prevent them from jumping over the wall and onto the road - it doesn't need to be anything heavy duty particularly, just a barrier.

If I were you and they refuse, I'd probably just do it myself, to be honest - it could take a very long time to get it sorted through the proper channels.
Try putting up a fence?

Haha, I love that book! :biggrin:
I think putting up a fence is your only option really. I don't think a lab would actually kill your cats if he caught them but he could injure them accidently.
Reply 13
My dog is scared of my cats, but I know what you mean about people who won't/can't train their dogs!
I think your only option is a fence really. They should be the ones putting it up, but as someone else mentioned, that could take forever and your cats are possibly in danger in the meantime. Fencing isn't as expensive as people think providing your garden isn't massive or whatever :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Kitty Pryde
I think putting up a fence is your only option really. I don't think a lab would actually kill your cats if he caught them but he could injure them accidently.

I wouldn't bet on that - one of the nastiest dogs I've ever known was a lab. You can't place too much trust by the breed.
Original post by Charlski
I wouldn't bet on that - one of the nastiest dogs I've ever known was a lab. You can't place too much trust by the breed.

I agree, a lot of a dogs temperment is based on how he/she is raised and whether the dog is trained right or not. I'm just assuming it's still a young dog based on the fact that the owners only recently got the dog and therefore still more playful than vicious. Unless of course it's a rescue dog
Reply 16
i hated that book
thanks for the reminder :frown:
Meanwhile all the sanctimonious cat lovers don't get care where their dirty pets go and sh1t when they let them out, or how many small mammals and birds they kill.
How high is the fence? It's recommended to use 6+ ft for when dogs are being left in a garden unsupervised. That should prevent the dog escaping.
Reply 19
Better fence - 6ft sounds extreme imo, like you say the dog only wants to chase the cats when he sees them so any normal sized non see-through fence would probably do.

Latest