The Student Room Group

only 452 black students in the UK met Oxfords entry requirements!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Khaysha-Saine
This is the opinion that will forever hold black people back :sad: even thought for the exactly same reasons you couldn’t pay me to go Oxbridge LOL

I know :frown: LOL
Reply 141
oxford is elitist...not just based on race but also on class. If you are not from a private school, you have a slim chance of getting it. Its one of those uni's which is forced to take a handful...the so called 'token' just to show that they are practising fairness but really..it pains them.
Reply 142

This is the opinion that will forever hold black people back :sad: even thought for the exactly same reasons you couldn’t pay me to go Oxbridge LOL

That is exactly the same view I hold on to. I am black also and I agree with all D.R music is saying.
Original post by rugbyladosc
Students from middle class backgrounds perform better academically.

Pretty unfounded claim, any evidence?
Reply 144
Original post by b-beauty
oxford is elitist...not just based on race but also on class. If you are not from a private school, you have a slim chance of getting it. Its one of those uni's which is forced to take a handful...the so called 'token' just to show that they are practising fairness but really..it pains them.

Thank you!!!
It's not Oxford's fault if the black students didn't make the grade.
Original post by *Hakz*
That is exactly the same view I hold on to. I am black also and I agree with all D.R music is saying.

It’s a shame that as a race this is the view we have of high ranking university, hopfully time will change it! Bit if more ethnic people were at grammar schools they would want to apply! :biggrin: hey presto problem fixed lol
Reply 147
Original post by shadow99

Original post by shadow99
It's not Oxford's fault if the black students didn't make the grade.

I don't think you seem to understand the whole point of this thread. It is not to do with black or white people not making the grades required to study in Oxford. It is about the proportion of those with the required grades of AAA who applied and didn't get gain admission.
I’ll break it down because I don’t think you got it…
I said MORE not ALL ethnic people should be enrolled into grammar schools who SHOW potential. That means not just any old ethnic person on the street, ones that actually have some drive to success but maybe don’t have parents who are pushing them or just didn’t go to a good enough primary school to get the highest grades achieved by there white counter parts. I hope you now understand :h:

Your ignorant because your saying that ^^^^ is as bad as BNP campaign, which is totally BS to put it in the nicest terms possibly, but its all personally opinion, you obviously feel it’s fair that many ethics people don’t have a chance to achieve the higher grades because there education was held back. Personally I don’t think it is

I'll break it down into equally simple terms, because you really don't seem to understand...

> Any form of racial discrimination is racist. Not sure what you don't understand about this idea? And it is also against multiple laws to even instigate the system you want to (both national and international laws)...

> Why does a black person from a stable loving family deserve a better education then white child from a poor disadvantaged background? (hence why I believe background, not race, should be used to aid "under achievers")

And I love how my idea that all people should be given an equal chance, is shot down as racist, by someone who actively advocates racial discrimination.

If you are going to reply with the same thing again, don't! If you cannot understand basic concepts without crying out racism (you don't even seem to understand the meaning of the word?) there's no point in this arguement.

"you obviously feel it’s fair that many ethics people don’t have a chance to achieve the higher grades because there education was held back"

Can I correct this to; I actually feel it's unfair that anyones chance to achieve higher grades because their education has been held back is wrong.*

*because I, unlike you, only wish to help disadvantaged people regardless of race :rolleyes:
Its stupid people say 'black people don't get a fair chance because they go to underperforming schools in poorer areas'.

Ever considered it might be the other way around? That they were once fine areas and the schools were putting out satisfactory results until poorly performing black families and students moved into the area?

This is a non-story, the only amusing bit is that someone has made the faux-pas of trying to highlight racism in Oxford's application process, but in reality has just highlighted that particular ethnic minority is underperforming!
Reply 150
It’s a shame that as a race this is the view we have of high ranking university, hopfully time will change it! Bit if more ethnic people were at grammar schools they would want to apply! :biggrin: hey presto problem fixed lol

It will change over time :smile: Grammar schooling may be a solution but it would be better if all schools were excellent (but to be honest that's never going to happen :frown: ). It's funny though because I went to a comprehensive school and thought that grammar schools were snobby. Then I went to a grammar school for sixth form and it wasn't as bad as I thought (there's still the odd snob though :tongue: LOL).
Original post by b-beauty

How many people from state schools get 5 A grades at A-level? I'd say its far fewer proportionally than at private school.
who cares?
Reply 153
This thread really does show how much empathy some people have :tongue: LOL
(I'm waiting for people to roll their eyes now :rolleyes:)
Blacks are known to be fairly poor in many academic systems across the world. Go google it if you want to find that evidence.
Original post by A for Andromeda
I'll break it down into equally simple terms, because you really don't seem to understand...

*because I, unlike you, only wish to help disadvantaged people regardless of race :rolleyes:

You still don’t get it :erm: I’m not sure how to break it down to anymore... LOL

It’s a shame your narrow minded view is getting in the way of the bigger picture..

Original post by A for Andromeda
If you are going to reply with the same thing again, don't! If you cannot understand basic concepts without crying out racism (you don't even seem to understand the meaning of the word?) there's no point in this arguement

Don’t tell me what I can and can not reply to who are you? You’re a nobody to me and vice versa so don’t tell me what to do. You can get off your high horse with the whole “all I want to do is help disadvantaged people” BS because nobodies buying it and the whole point of grammar schools is to help more disadvantaged children anyway as most of the rich ones go to grammar schools you have to pay for so that argument is out the window.

I don’t know the meaning of racist? :lolwut: Really, that’s your augment? LOL

I really don’t wish to argue with you because you seem to have a skewed view of everything so you are right and I am wrong. My uneducated brain cant get around everything you’ve been saying. :h:
Original post by DR.music
It will change over time :smile: Grammar schooling may be a solution but it would be better if all schools were excellent (but to be honest that's never going to happen :frown: ). It's funny though because I went to a comprehensive school and thought that grammar schools were snobby. Then I went to a grammar school for sixth form and it wasn't as bad as I thought (there's still the odd snob though :tongue: LOL).

It’s probably not that bad I just wouldn’t want to go because I would feel out of place but that’s my personal issue. I think a lot of black people strive to go to top ranking universities but personally I know ill do just as well if I go to any uni so it doesn’t matter to me.
Reply 157
Original post by teadrinker
Oxford defends its lack of blacks by claiming the statistics were skewed and that they in fact admitted 30 to 40 students of African heritage last year. They then claim that:

"only 452 black students across the country had even achieved the A-level results demanded by Oxford to meet its minimum entry requirements for the 2009-10 academic year." [1]

Do you reckon this statistic is accurate? When I did AS levels I wasn't aware the examiners knew my ethnicity.

If it IS accurate, what do people make of it? Where does the fault lie? Is it a damning indictment of the low aspirations of British students of African heritage, or is it society wot is to blame?

its not oxfords fault if people don't get the grades they want, they have a policy of the best graded students get in be they white black green blue yellow pink purple
Reply 158
Ethnic Minority. Minority.

"Or is it society wot is to blame?" No, it is whoever educated you wot is to blame.
Reply 159
Original post by Hafsaay
Ethnic Minority. Minority.

"Or is it society wot is to blame?" No, it is whoever educated you wot is to blame.

true, very true :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending