The Student Room Group

Are women just looking for rich men?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baffled_mathman
I've just read this article in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375720/What-women-really-want--money-Research-finds-women-look-paid-job-partner.html

(No comments just criticising the Mail and not discussing the point please!)

The article says that women look for men with money or well paid jobs. It's always been obvious to me that women do look for money above everything else, blatantly obvious.
But what I don't understand is why women won't admit it most of the time? Is it because they want to fool men into thinking they want them for their looks/sense of humour/personality/whatever, when in actual fact they are after his wallet?

I admit that money is important but just for money I wouldn't marry an old man. However I do want someone who is ambitious and business minded because I am like that myself. However looks and personality also matter as they say money isn't everything. but ultimately yes I would want a man with wealth
Reply 81
Obviously a woman looks for some kind of financial security if she want to have children. Thats a no brainer.
Reply 82
If he is rich id definitely be up for getting to know him more. If he has a flash car, his own place, then my only aim is to share his bed with him, lol
Reply 83
)The article says that women look for men with money or well paid jobs. It's always been obvious to me that women do look for money above everything else, blatantly obvious.
But what I don't understand is why women won't admit it most of the time? Is it because they want to fool men into thinking they want them for their looks/sense of humour/personality/whatever, when in actual fact they are after his wallet?

You're an angry, lonely little fellow aren't you?
Original post by -Invidious-
Let me guess, you're still in University?

I'm not there yet ;D
I always get negged for telling my truth so I won't bother (even though I'm sure I'll get negged for saying that anyway). I would like a guy to be in a similar socio-economic status to me, not richer than me though. I want a good career so I can be comfortable on my own and have my money. I wouldn't want me to be earning a good wage and him nothing as I want a nice house, good standard of living, etc. Then again I'm not maternal and don't want kids so maybe women who do will want richer, more financially secure men if they think they will have to be off work, not as focussed, maybe plan on having a few kids and staying at home.
On the plus side, women age like milk and they don't have as much disposable income as men so my advice to all guys is to focus on making as much money as possible. you fat with no self control over food? ugly? perhaps socially retarded with zero confidence? long term virgin? all of those faults will be overlooked if you have a healthy bank balance. Just look at the state of some footballers. Not only are some butt ugly,but they can cheat on their missus with prostitutes and the missus doesn't get a divorce, you can beat them too and they stay (not that I agree with that) but then I don't feel sorry for these women either.

Men must also never think of marriage or moving in with a girl until they are at least 25, instead they should have a stable of girls to call on. They should focus instead on their career and making as much money as possible.And there is truth to the sterotype that the older a man gets the younger his partner is.

You might think ,oh how shallow life isn't about money, well how is it less shallow to date someone because they are goodlooking or because they are ultra confident? Life is shallow,people are all shallow deep down about their friends and partners.

Of course women look for rich men, this is why they want prostitution banned,because it enables men to avoid gold diggers to get sex with very attractive females. What I find really annoying is, a man with a certain income level doesn't necesscarily look just at women with similar incomes .Hell if I liked a girl,thought she was sexy she could be a pikey for all I care. But women seem to always want guys who earn more than them. This I think is the reason why there are lots of single women and men who try and avoid marriage as long as possible.
Original post by ellakrystina
I'm not there yet ;D

There you go, you don't care about the wealth of someone you date, because atm mum and dad pay for you. But when you graduate (24+) and when you start thinking about having a family, wealth will become a much bigger factor.
Reply 88
Women = gold diggers.
If I was with my boyfriend for his 'bank balance' I don't think it would make a difference in terms of how he treats me or whatever :s-smilie: I love him to pieces regardless of how much he earns or spends on me. he has average wages with average outcomes. I get little treats here and there but they aren't diamond encrusted teddy bears. A pack of haribos does me well :smile:
Original post by Watcher7
You're an angry, lonely little fellow aren't you?

Oh no, a low IQ virgin's stalking me! Lots of people here agree, but the stalker doesn't comment on them. It's the same on another thread.

Edit: Ministerdonut, absolutely spot on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 91
Obviously it would be nice to have support money-wise, but there are more important things in a relationship...

'Money can't buy happiness...'
Well if it's in the Daily Mail, then it must be true!
Reply 93
I've just read this article in the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375720/What-women-really-want--money-Research-finds-women-look-paid-job-partner.html

(No comments just criticising the Mail and not discussing the point please!)

The article says that women look for men with money or well paid jobs. It's always been obvious to me that women do look for money above everything else, blatantly obvious.

First of all, the fact that many women do think that money is important in a relationship does not mean that it is the ONLY thing they think is important. The vast majority of women will not go out with a man just because he has a good job and salary - after all, there are lots and lots of guys in that position. Looks, personality and simple chemistry also count for a great deal. So it's not the case that women are 'lying' about finding these things important too. A serious decision like going out with someone isn't something that's likely to be based on a single factor, and I suspect that in most cases, getting on really well with a guy would make up for his lack of salary, even if a high salary is a preferred characteristic. People sometimes put their preferences on hold when someone special comes along.

I also think it's pretty unfair to assume that an interest in money makes women shallow and greedy, which seems to be what a lot of people get at when they complain about it. The fact is that we still live in a society where the idea of the man providing for the woman has deep cultural roots. Note that one point the article makes is that a lot of the women going for wealthy men are women who want to avoid conflict about money in their relationships - they aren't interested in these guys because they want to live off their money, but because they want someone whose earnings are in the same 'ball park' as theirs. This isn't really surprising because a lot of men feel insecure and indequate if their partner earns more than they do, and it can cause resentment in relationships. Equally a lot of women are still raised to think that it's unnatural and weird to earn more than a man. The more a woman makes, the richer her partner has to be to fulfil these traditional expectations. The situation is really down to the cultural expectations that both men and women are raised with.

There is also the practical issue of children. A two-parent family in which the woman is the main earner is more financially fragile, on average, than a two-parent family in which the man is the main earner. This is simply because having kids takes women out of action temporarily, and if a woman wants to stay at home for a few years to raise her kids - as many do - her career will obviously be the casuality. Any woman who wants to be a stay-at-home mum, even just for a few years, will inevitably see a financially comfortable man as an advantage. And the strong social stigma against stat-at-home dads means that there don't tend to be so many men in the same position.

Above all, let's not forget that over a third of women in this survey said that they did not want their partner to earn more than they do, or don't mind. Please stop making generalisations about us. We are half of the population, we are human beings and you can't just go around talking about women just being interested in money when a lot of us aren't. Personally I would want to earn at least as much as, if not more than, my partner because I am ambitious where my career is concerned and like the idea of providing for any family I might have. But that doesn't mean I'd discount a higher-earning guy if I happened to fall in love with him. In the same way, all those women who say a big salary is important probably won't discount a lower-earning guy if they've truly fallen for him. Some might, but this is a tiny minority that isn't worth bothering with.
Reply 94
richmen abig headed.
Reply 95
Oh no, a low IQ virgin's stalking me! Lots of people here agree, but the stalker doesn't comment on them. It's the same on another thread.

I was just startled to see you make bigoted, sexist remarks twice in such a short space of time. But thank you for enlightening me. Now I know that if enough people agree with your narrow-minded, hate-filled view of any segment of society, then it's ok for you to have that view.

Thank you for taking the time to share that. I hope you weren't forced to reassign too many of your doubtlessly bountiful cognitive resources to the task, and I also pray that I didn't interrupt any of your constant rutting with my response.

Sarcasm aside, you're a narrow-minded bigot who's so immature that he considers the word "virgin" to be an insult. If anyone subscribes to any of your pathetic views concerning women, it's because they're just as lonely and disaffected as you are. And if there are people out there who confirm your ideas, be thankful that they are a minority, just as I am thankful that sexist idiots are too.

For the record, I'm done now. If I see your username above any post in future, I just won't read it. It'll spare a little of my faith in humanity. But seriously ask yourself, what have girls done to give you these views of them? Might lead to a happier life.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Unknown?
Women = gold diggers.

This
I guess ther is a tiny subconscious thought in the back of my mind that id like a man hu has a similar income 2 me or more but its nt the money itself, its wat the money usually represents - that the man is intelligent, hard-working, successful, driven etc - u'll know this as for example a man may be rich but may hav gotten that money from finding a thumb in a coke can or smthn - thats not attractive, he's still got the money but didnt work hard for it - but generally speaking, I still believe its the man himself thats important not his money, if u marry a rich guy hu's not compatible to u at all then its not gna work out down the line - unless u rili are a gold digger haha but id say thats the minority.
Original post by Watcher7
I was just startled to see you make bigoted, sexist remarks twice in such a short space of time. But thank you for enlightening me. Now I know that if enough people agree with your narrow-minded, hate-filled view of any segment of society, then it's ok for you to have that view.

Thank you for taking the time to share that. I hope you weren't forced to reassign too many of your doubtlessly bountiful cognitive resources to the task, and I also pray that I didn't interrupt any of your constant rutting with my response.

Sarcasm aside, you're a narrow-minded bigot who's so immature that he considers the word "virgin" to be an insult. If anyone subscribes to any of your pathetic views concerning women, it's because they're just as lonely and disaffected as you are. And if there are people out there who confirm your ideas, be thankful that they are a minority, just as I am thankful that sexist idiots are too.

For the record, I'm done now. If I see your username above any post in future, I just won't read it. It'll spare a little of my faith in humanity. But seriously ask yourself, what have girls done to give you these views of them? Might lead to a happier life.

Stalk someone else, virgin retard. And when it comes to immaturity, you said (on the other thread you're stalking me on):
"Also, thanks for the knowledge that I'm probably a better lover than you."
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by the realist
No actually they can, but does every engineer marry another engineer? does every business man marry another business woman?? yes they CAN, but look at the real world and please note whos making by far the most cashmoney in these jobs? yep it's men. Theoretical equality is all very good but in the real world things are different, just like theoretically equality means women should be earning more than their partners and supporting them in an even ratio.....but that doesn't happen!!

NO, in fact hypergamy dictates that a successful man will usually have access to the women below him in status, as oppose to those equal to him proffessionally and financially. Thus they often end up with a little twerp who doesn't really appreciate his career or achievements, just likes spending his money.

I'm not talking about theoretical equality, I'm just saying as a female medic I'd rather marry a professional. I have my own career and will have my own earnings. I know of very few women who actually just marry a man with the intention of spending his money on shopping. Don't think so badly of women.

Most women do earn less than men. Women are usually expected to take care of the children so marrying a man with a job is not marrying him for his money, but to support a family.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending