The Student Room Group

Panorama: Iran & The issue of Torture

I am watching this panorama episode to do with the Iranian election and the state of affairs going on currently and I am shocked. I knew the situation was dire right however this is showing something else.

- Mass paranoia about the rest of the world being "anti-Islam" and conspiring against the Holy nation of Iran.

- Protesters being shot, imprisoned unfairly and then sentenced using false evidence.

- People being stonned, despite this being a practise frowned upon by the people and the government claiming not to support it, it still transpires. There are videos of it with people being tortured with stones, beatings, psychological trauma and whipping.

- Mock executions to traumatise people and death threats to yourself and your family.

- Media is not allowed into the states because they are all conspiring against the Holy nation of Iran (apparently).

- People who protest peacefully, be they student, seniors, religious figures, musicians, writers or even just normal citizens being prosecuted. People who protest actively get killed but even people who protest or are trying to send a peaceful message of change also get abducted and attacked and even their privacy is destroyed when they are bugged (conversations), women are rapped and sexually degraded. Not even for being protesters or collaborators, simply for being related to people who were peaceful protesters.

- Gays are imprisoned, tortured, then RAPED (WTF contradictory of WHAT!) and are threatened with hanging. The state then proceeds to denounce and exile you as a Gay sinner (despite you being the one who was raped).

- Women are threatened with rape, to be killed and their children to be tortured.

A lot of this is in the name of Islam however I would think that no sane and pious Muslim would endorse any of this, I find it to be quite disgusting and terribly immoral.

So I was simply wondering what you people thought about this, I myself think something should really be done about some of these things. They are abhorrent and I think a place that endorses this cannot be called Islamic, Holy or even Moral in the slightest.

Things like this really anger me. I am quote shocked. What do TSR think about these violations of Human Rights and the lack of action against such a thing?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i thinks its more to do with 'culture' rather than religion.
islam=peace

this also happens in africa.its culture!
Reply 2
Original post by DontJudge
islam=peace

Rubbish!

In fact, how dare you?

This has nothing to do with Iranian culture.

Before 1979 when the Islamic Republic came to power people were not stoned, people were not raped in prison, and gays were not executed.

These vile acts are are all rooted in religious law, they have nothing to do with Iran. It was Iran that wrote the world's first charter of human rights, these vile clerics are completely alien to our culture and traditions and that is why they are hated by the populace.

Islamic LAW = stoning, execution, judicial amputations, velayat-e-faqih, mutah, sigheh, taghieh and all of these other disgusting things the Islamic Republic has inflicted on Iran. Don't try and say this isn't to do with religious extremism.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
It used to be a great place, once upon a time:

Spoiler

Nothing we really can do against Iran, sadly. A war with Iran would basically be another Vietnam, and they don't listen to us (or even Russia and China) on the diplomatic stage.
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
Rubbish!

In fact, how dare you?

Before 1979 when the Islamic Republic came to power people were not stoned, people were not raped in prison, and gays were not executed.

These vile acts are are all rooted in religious law, they have nothing to do with Iran. It was Iran that wrote the world's first charter of human rights, these vile clerics are completely alien to our culture and traditions and that is why they are hated by the populace.

Islamic LAW = stoning, execution, judicial amputations, velayat-e-faqih, mutah, sigheh, taghieh and all of these other disgusting things the Islamic Republic has inflicted on Iran. Don't try and say this isn't to do with religious extremism.

how dare you,you hypocrit. back in the 40's the teachers used to beat the students for getting a question wrong, even further back, they used to get executed, or burnt alive, dying slowly......

in america they also have the capital punishment in place in certain countries. e.g mexico.

so how very dare you.
Reply 6
how dare you,you hypocrit. back in the 40's the teachers used to beat the students for getting a question wrong, even further back, they used to get executed, or burnt alive, dying slowly......

in america they also have the capital punishment in place in certain countries. e.g mexico.

so how very dare you.

Did't know Mexico was a part of America
Reply 7
Original post by Aj12
Did't know Mexico was a part of America

lol well you've learnt something new then.
Reply 8
lol well you've learnt something new then.

When did they become a state then
Reply 9
Original post by Aj12
When did they become a state then

oooh yeh. i meant state.i no what you mean now!!
thats what i meant ^.^
i get mixed up with africa and countries. and america and states,!
islam=peace

What are you trying to imply?:angry:
Reply 11
Original post by Fight-or-Flight
What are you trying to imply?:angry:

well i just said it.look read it its. above!:smile:
Reply 12
Rubbish!

In fact, how dare you?

Rape is not a part of any kind of islamic law fyi.
Reply 13
Rubbish!

In fact, how dare you?

Are you telling me Islam say you should rape women and men?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Luminality
I am watching this panorama episode to do with the Iranian election and the state of affairs going on currently and I am shocked. I knew the situation was dire right however this is showing something else.

- Mass paranoia about the rest of the world being "anti-Islam" and conspiring against the Holy nation of Iran.

- Protesters being shot, imprisoned unfairly and then sentenced using false evidence.

- People being stonned, despite this being a practise frowned upon by the people and the government claiming not to support it, it still transpires. There are videos of it with people being tortured with stones, beatings, psychological trauma and whipping.

- Mock executions to traumatise people and death threats to yourself and your family.

- Media is not allowed into the states because they are all conspiring against the Holy nation of Iran (apparently).

- People who protest peacefully, be they student, seniors, religious figures, musicians, writers or even just normal citizens being prosecuted. People who protest actively get killed but even people who protest or are trying to send a peaceful message of change also get abducted and attacked and even their privacy is destroyed when they are bugged (conversations), women are rapped and sexually degraded. Not even for being protesters or collaborators, simply for being related to people who were peaceful protesters.

- Gays are imprisoned, tortured, then RAPED (WTF contradictory of WHAT!) and are threatened with hanging. The state then proceeds to denounce and exile you as a Gay sinner (despite you being the one who was raped).

- Women are threatened with rape, to be killed and their children to be tortured.

A lot of this is in the name of Islam however I would think that no sane and pious Muslim would endorse any of this, I find it to be quite disgusting and terribly immoral.

So I was simply wondering what you people thought about this, I myself think something should really be done about some of these things. They are abhorrent and I think a place that endorses this cannot be called Islamic, Holy or even Moral in the slightest.

Things like this really anger me. I am quote shocked. What do TSR think about these violations of Human Rights and the lack of action against such a thing?

You are right OP, I'm sick of how we (Iranians) are being portrayed in the media. No reputation left since 1979. We've become so ashamed of our nastionality that we are embarrassed to proudly say: 'I am Iranian'. Instead, we use the word Persia to confuse many many people who think Persia is a well respected country with great history and culture behind it. :cry2:
Rubbish!

In fact, how dare you?

True
Hasn't Islam just become a ****** tool to take away basic human rights and normal happiness from people of our country? I hate anyone, absolutely anyone who tries to make me interested in the concept of Islam after being over flooded with how it has silenced my country mates for over 30 years :frown:
Cheers for being a representative for what Iranians btw(Y)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ultimate1
Rape is not a part of any kind of islamic law fyi.

Well the regime does rape virgin prisoners as it says that virgins are automatically guaranteed entry to heaven, but I don't know how theologically accurate that is.

Regardless, I'm certain the majority of Muslims (Iranian or otherwise) would be horrified by it.

Original post by TheWorld!
Are you telling me Islam say you should rape women and men?

I didn't write that, so no.
well i just said it.look read it its. above!:smile:

In that case SHUT UP and think about what you want to say and how it might offend a nation when posting something. Back in the days? You don't need to teach us about what happened back in the days in Mexico or States. And it had nothing to do with what OP was trying to say.
Reply 18

I didn't write that, so no.

Oh, because I thought you were saying that all the actions of the regime were because of Islam.
Reply 19
Well the regime does rape virgin prisoners as it says that virgins are automatically guaranteed entry to heaven, but I don't know how theologically accurate that is.

Well actually that is very inaccurate as to live a life in celibacy in Islam is frowned upon so I don't know where the Iranian Government gets that from, so clearly it is a corrupt G'ment. Man I feel your pain and all the other Iranians living in that corrupt and vicious state. BTW were you ever a muslim, or are any of your Iranian relatives muslim?

I got negged for my previous post by some. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest