The Student Room Group

AS students: how far are you in your revision?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cleoleo
Did you start all your revision in the Easter holidays?
cause I'm gonna do that and learn S1 maths again since my teacher is absolutely crap... can I still get 95%+ by just using easter holidays?

well that depends when your exams are, my AS exams weren't until the 4th and 6th of June last year ( i had 3 on one day) so i had loads of time after easter to do some aswell
0%

bought a C2 revision book today though, if that counts :awesome:
Reply 42
5 A-Levels, 9 Exams and i didnt start yet :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by cylon
5 A-Levels, 9 Exams and i didnt start yet :frown:

*haven't. I'm assuming none of those 9 exams are english.
Haha, jk- I forgive you. Good luck with your revision. When do you plan to start?
I've set myself a timetable - from Monday onwards, hardcore revision, hopefully.
Reply 45
Original post by Alison1992
Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure AS is open book and A2 is closed book? not that it makes much of a difference, you should aim to do it closed book because otherwise you waste time searching for quotes. I did poetry yes, Hardy and Rossetti, best bet is to pick the ones you think you have most to say about/like more/understand more whatever and then just learn them...the exam really isn't that bad, i got a good A in it and it was my 3rd exam that day (i'd had sociology and biology in the morning), my only problem was hand cramp.

I'm doing AQA Literature Syllabus A but I guess it shouldn't make much of a difference.. do you have any exam tips on how to get easy marks?
Original post by zumgluck
I'm doing AQA Literature Syllabus A but I guess it shouldn't make much of a difference.. do you have any exam tips on how to get easy marks?

well there's no real way to get 'easy marks'.
just make sure you're writing in according to the assessment objectives and balancing them, use 'buzz words' for example, if you're talking about the form and structure say something like 'furthermore this is contributed to by the structure of the novel' so your marks are signposted.
Otherwise, prepare prepare prepare, if you know roughly what is going to come up you can have answers prepared and then write them on autopilot
8 exams and a really **** exam timtable ... I did about an hour today and I actually made myself a revision timetable for Easter for the first time ever! I'm starting tomorrow and hoping it'll go well!!
Reply 48
Original post by Chaofan88
*haven't. I'm assuming none of those 9 exams are english.
Haha, jk- I forgive you. Good luck with your revision. When do you plan to start?

It's ok :smile:
and yes I dont take English,
anyway Im planning to start after 9 days (20/4)
What about you?
I was planning on starting over Easter, but now I've realised I only have a few free days so that's gone down the drain.
I've got 5 exams: Psychology 2, Mech 2, Further Pure 1, Stats 1 and Biology 2.
My january exams went alright so I'm not overly stressing but we haven't finished learning everything yet in lessons and all the bank holidays are going to make it pretty tricky. But meh, exams aren't everything.
I'm making sure I'd have covered EVERYTHING by the end of the Easter holidays - content, past papers etc. so I need to start working properly which I will do tomorrow :smile:
we have ages, i'm not worrying yet.. but i'll probably start revising tomorrow. think i'll go to the library because i get distracted easily at home.
How do you find out when your exams are ? I'm in A2, but doing AS resits as well, so they'll be at the same time, right ?
Reply 53
Original post by dosvidaniya
How do you find out when your exams are ? I'm in A2, but doing AS resits as well, so they'll be at the same time, right ?

Find your exam dates and times here : http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/search.aspx
Reply 54
Original post by cylon
It's ok :smile:
and yes I dont take English,
anyway Im planning to start after 9 days (20/4)
What about you?

I think I started revising 2-3 weeks ago, but nothing major. Since 2 days ago, I've been doing proper revision :smile:
Original post by Alison1992
Oh, i was convinced this was an A2 thread :frown: oh well, I got AAAA at AS (100% 100% 95% and 92% in final exams) so feel free to ask me anything about A level revision

ii, any tips you can give me?
Im really struggling for ideas on how to revise. :frown:
Reply 56
Original post by timkench
I might be on a different exam board, and both happen to have gatsby in their spec aha? Because our as and a2 is both closed text, unfortunately. It probably does help in a way actually, as it fixed you to learn it off by heart, but still, critical analysis plus 15 Wilfred owen poems and gatsby quotes to memorise isnt going to be fun

I take it you're on OCR? I wouldn't worry about learning quotes off by heart, I don't think I put any quotes in my Gatsby essay in Jan and got an A :smile: I think they're more looking for a good understanding and a few specific scenes you can remember that show different things. We got Insensibility for Jan (Wilfred Owen)and it was a really good exam I thought, don't panic at all for it because the more relaxed you are, the better your essay will flow :tongue:
Reply 57
Not doing much revision today, it's my birthday :biggrin:

good luck to everyone else though (:
Reply 58
Original post by juliewho
I take it you're on OCR? I wouldn't worry about learning quotes off by heart, I don't think I put any quotes in my Gatsby essay in Jan and got an A :smile: I think they're more looking for a good understanding and a few specific scenes you can remember that show different things. We got Insensibility for Jan (Wilfred Owen)and it was a really good exam I thought, don't panic at all for it because the more relaxed you are, the better your essay will flow :tongue:

yeah OCR :smile: ah fair enough, did you put critical analysis stuff in though? yeah im jealous, I wanted that one! hoping for A Terre or Apologia though :smile:

tbh im more worried about maths A2 exams :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 59
8 exams in june:

Chemistry Unit 1 (Edexcel)
Chemistry Unit 2 (Edexcel)
Chemistry Unit 4 (Edexcel)
Chemistry Unit 5 (Edexcel)
Biology Unit 2 (AQA)
Biology Unit 5 (AQA)
Statistics 1 (Edexcel)
Business Unit 2 (AQA

Started all the notes Mid-Feb and have finished them all except Biology unit 5 (im half way)
Hoping to just bang out loads of past papers this Easter holidays.
Im pretty nervous about Chemistry!!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest