The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Organ
..but there's no justification behind this! best for getting in debt perhaps :colone:

there's no way you can claim ucl is better than say newcastle, or leeds, or dundee

Well in general it outranks by far and even on medicine league tables on guardian and the complete university guide... Plus its got UCH built in and its down the road and i have been inside they seem to have everything and if you need more books you got the british library
Original post by amir shah
the top ones are probably Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL, Kings, Durham, Barts etc.

Tbh, medicine is medicine where ever you do it. There only about 40 medical schools in the uk, anyway. And it depends on what kind of person you are and the course being offered. for example - the Oxbridge course is quite outdated, using traditional methods of teaching, wheras newer medical schools use problem based learning

do you want to do medicine? :smile:

Completely wrong
Very debateable
Original post by Iqbal007
Well in general it outranks by far and even on medicine league tables on guardian and the complete university guide... Plus its got UCH built in and its down the road and i have been inside they seem to have everything and if you need more books you got the british library

DO NOT MENTION LEAGUE TABLES ON THIS SUBFORUM

People will kill you. Or neg you massively.

And there's a good reason for that, because they are largely unreliable for medicine, aside from Oxbridge and Imperial.
Reply 43
Original post by Straight up G
Completely wrong
Very debateable

ok, ok. I'm not going to get involved. :redface:
Reply 44

:indiff:
Original post by icis
Why's every saying Bath? What's so good about it or are you being sarcy?

It'st just an incredible medical school
Everything you'd ever want from a medical school.
Reply 46
Original post by gozatron
Well, only the elite get in. Have you seen the minimum entry requirements? A*A*A*C with Step II,III at grades 1,S respectively. Its crazy but worth it. I mean graduates have the opportunity to bypass the first year of foundation training because the course is so intense.

they become consultant SE (special editions) straight out of medical school!

plus, as a student at bath you get your own nurse and secretary
Reply 47

league tables are cack

every medical school has a hospital

the book point is just ridiculous
Reply 48
go Imperial!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Organ

Original post by Organ

Not to mention the supermodel lecturers and complementary practical sex education lessons from katy perry.

I'm suprised we even accepted offers from medical schools, i'm going to ring mine up and ask to be released. Gap year and then reapply to Bath.
Reply 50
Original post by Organ

:rofl:
Reply 51
Original post by gozatron
Not to mention the supermodel lecturers and complementary practical sex education lessons from katy perry.

I'm suprised we even accepted offers from medical schools, i'm going to ring mine up and ask to be released. Gap year and then reapply to Bath.

perhaps, but I heard you have to play first team rugger for england - or be a smoking hot female - I don't play rugger for england, and I'm male :frown:

i'm a big miserable failure
Reply 52
To the guy who was actually interested, they are joking, Bath doesn't have a medical school...
Reply 53
Original post by eddhann

Original post by eddhann
To the guy who was actually interested, they are joking, Bath doesn't have a medical school...

You sound like a Bath med school reject in denial, don't listen to him OP.
Reply 54
Original post by eddhann

:no:
Reply 55
Original post by eddhann
to the guy who was actually interested, they are joking, bath doesn't have a medical school...

HERESY!
ok, ok. I'm not going to get involved. :redface:

Haha, I'll correct you.

There are 32 Med Schools in the UK, 24 in England. 30 of these offer undergraduate medicine.

The Oxbridge course is traditional, not outdated. I believe even they use lesser forms of PBL (occasionally, so I've been told), but of course mainly it is lecture based with tutorials to support your learning.

Peninsula and Hull York, two of the newer Med Schools do use PBL. However, other new ones like Durham, Brighton don't use it at all. Similarly, Manchester and Liverpool, both 100+ years old use PBL heavily. PBL has only a small correlation with age of medical school (you could say newer ones are more likely to use PBL than older ones, but it hardly makes a difference).

As you'll find in this forum, it's very hard to choose a 'best medical school'. Obviously Oxbridge is highly rated, but many people are put off by UCL and Imperial because of London living costs. Kings isn't rated as highly as those two by most, and Barts/Durham don't come into the equation personally, but it's all subjective (though few people would disagree with Oxbridge and Imperial and perhaps UCL offering a very very good education).
Original post by eddhann

you're lying. You're just sour that you got rejected from BMS, don't worry, it's so rejected that the BMJ have called it BMS Rejection Syndrome (it's an advanced version of denial and depression mixed, it threatens to devour the prospective and rejected med school populations).
Reply 58
Oops. :colondollar:

London is cool expensive. and the Oxbridge course is outdated and 'traditional'.

Come back once you know what you're talking about. :h:
Reply 59
Original post by Straight up G
(though few people would disagree with Oxbridge and Imperial and perhaps UCL offering a very very good education).

I would.

What if I absolutely hated lectures?

Stop making dumb comments.

Latest

Trending

Trending