The Student Room Group

Poll: Do you love England?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234

The fashion is either **** from the 50's, black, grey, or white, on clothes that are made for short limbed fatties and none of it is fitted.
No one wears Indie like we do? Maybe for a good reason? It does nothing for your figure, makes you look infantile, and looks cheap.
Our architecture is now poor and terrible. Everything now is done with the same generic cheap brick layout and all our heritage is ignored. Also many of the largest iconic English buildings are in London which is great for 20% of England and **** for everyone else.

Something I noticed though is you have not mentioned about the quality of life or other countries you have been to. Are you aware that the UK has the lowest spending power out of all EU countries as well as the smallest house size, not to mention terrible weather. Now why would you want to tolerate these things? Just so you don't feel like some crazy tramp next time you go out in your Indie gear? That's a lot to give up for **** all in return.

Whatever we clearly have different opinions on fashion, though you're clearly bothered about it ... why? You're a guy anyway.
Really, smallest house size? Well yeah, England's overpopulated but it's common knowladge that we're one of the most developed countries in the world. We're far more tolerant and supportive of equality in terms of ethnicity and gender than other countries, perhaps all countries outside of the EU.
Why is England the best for you ? English fashion is terrible or non existent and many core aspects of English life are very poor. What countries are you comparing England too?

Very true about fashion here. I have the feeling that there are many good things about life here, but it would be even better if the Thatcher/Major governments hadn't wrecked so many things and the Blair and Brown governments missed the opportunity to put right some of the damage.

Something I noticed though is you have not mentioned about the quality of life or other countries you have been to. Are you aware that the UK has the lowest spending power out of all EU countries as well as the smallest house size, not to mention terrible weather. Now why would you want to tolerate these things? Just so you don't feel like some crazy tramp next time you go out in your Indie gear? That's a lot to give up for **** all in return.

Well that's not true.
Original post by lilyrawstorne
Whatever we clearly have different opinions on fashion, though you're clearly bothered about it ... why? You're a guy anyway.
Really, smallest house size? Well yeah, England's overpopulated but it's common knowladge that we're one of the most developed countries in the world. We're far more tolerant and supportive of equality in terms of ethnicity and gender than other countries, perhaps all countries outside of the EU.

What ever? Great defence there hun, the school system really failed you.

Most develop country? Well what about the USA, Australia, Germany, France, Austria, Sweden, Norway etc? I heard they are all pretty decent places to live in yet have better housing.

Oh, now you like the UK because it is tolerant. Well that what the EU Court does therefore most EU states will be just as tolerant.
However I think the UK has been too tolerant and we have lost much of our identity because what is it top be English nowadays? To be loud, fat, and ashamed of our past?

Original post by tieyourmotherdown
Well that's not true.

Oh, I thought it was or had a very low spending power.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7488613.stm

Note that the article is from 2008 :frown:

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156968494
I absolutely hate England.

The culture is s***, the weather is s***, and the people are s***.

I cannot wait until I move to decent country. Yes there is a fairly comfortable lifestyle here, but I'd rather live in a country that has a bit of character, and where the sun comes out more often.
As much as just about any other sovereign nation state, perhaps a little more due to nostalgia and physical proximity.
(edited 12 years ago)
I love England and all other white countries

What ever? Great defence there hun, the school system really failed you.

Most develop country? Well what about the USA, Australia, Germany, France, Austria, Sweden, Norway etc? I heard they are all pretty decent places to live in yet have better housing.

Oh, now you like the UK because it is tolerant. Well that what the EU Court does therefore most EU states will be just as tolerant.
However I think the UK has been too tolerant and we have lost much of our identity because what is it top be English nowadays? To be loud, fat, and ashamed of our past?

Oh, I thought it was or had a very low spending power.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7488613.stm

Note that the article is from 2008 :frown:

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156968494

Well there was no point arguing properly with you. You were complaining about fashion trends that are western not English and you were wrong anyway it's not just 50s at all, there's been a revival of most decades of the 20th century as well as new styles ... and I've been shopping all over the world, I'd choose London everytime, though in fairness at the rate the world's developing everywhere is becoming pretty similar.
THE USA? You're joking, surely? New York, yes but I personally couldn't handle being around the swarms of morbidly obese and ignorant bible bashers. Australia - racist; my friends from Cypress, her family were spat at when they went on holiday there. Germany, couldn't deal with the food and the history; I'd always feel like an outsider. I love France, I have a house there but it's not home and much of it's undeveloped. Don't really have an opinion on the last three.
Honestly I'm not ashamed of the fact that we're physically such a tiny country and have always been such a powerful one.
And at the risk of sounding like a 60 year old woman, I really love the English countryside.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well there was no point arguing properly with you. You were complaining about fashion trends that are western not English and you were wrong anyway it's not just 50s at all, there's been a revival of most decades of the 20th century as well as new styles ... and I've been shopping all over the world, I'd choose London everytime, though in fairness at the rate the world's developing everywhere is becoming pretty similar.
THE USA? You're joking, surely? New York, yes but I personally couldn't handle being around the swarms of morbidly obese and ignorant bible bashers. Australia - racist; my friends from Cypress, her family were spat at when they went on holiday there. Germany, couldn't deal with the food and the history; I'd always feel like an outsider. I love France, I have a house there but it's not home and much of it's undeveloped. Don't really have an opinion on the last three.
Honestly I'm not ashamed of the fact that we're physically such a tiny country and have always been such a powerful one.
And at the risk of sounding like a 60 year old woman, I really love the English countryside.

Have you ever been to New York or Germany?
Original post by dnumberwang

Have you ever been to New York or Germany?

I've been to both, why?
I've been to both, why?

Apologies if you were talking about other parts of the USA but New York is a lot more normal than that. Not being able to deal with the history or the food in Germany sounds rather pathetic tbh

Apologies if you were talking about other parts of the USA but New York is a lot more normal than that. Not being able to deal with the history or the food in Germany sounds rather pathetic tbh

Yeah I meant parts other tha NY ... I was oversimplifying in both cases ... it's kind of hard to give reasons why you don't like another country without sounding racist or petulant. It's not even that I dislike them anyway, all I orignially meant was that I like England.
The country (particularly the land itself), yes. The people, no.

Also I'm probably the only person in the country who likes the weather we have here.
It's not too hot in summer, and not too cold in winter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Non-English checking in.

Meh, It's ok. Some good bits and some serious flaws. Certainly not planning on spending much of my life beyond education here.
Original post by Manitude
The country (particularly the land itself), yes. The people, no.

Also I'm probably the only person in the country who likes the weather we have here.
It's not too hot in summer, and not too cold in winter.

You're not the only one - I love the weather here! When it's hot it's not the Sahara and when it's cold it's not Svalbard. We get plenty of rain but that's not a problem, really, it's a blessing.

The people who don't like the weather here are, frankly, pussies.
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
You're not the only one - I love the weather here! When it's hot it's not the Sahara and when it's cold it's not Svalbard. We get plenty of rain but that's not a problem, really, it's a blessing.

We don't even get that much rain, and I supposedly live in quite a damp area (coastal and northern western...go figure)

Obviously you have never been to Tokyo for shopping if you think London is great.
Do you not think that revival of fashion shows that they are running out of ideas as those fashion styles were left to die out for a good reason?

Swarms of fat people? You realise we are almost at the same rate of obesity as the USA? Clearly not.
Again, what about the spending power etc that comes with the USA? You seemed to have utterly avoided that crucial point and make some ill informed comment about weight instead.
Australia being racist - where did they go? You know it is a big place right...oh, probably not.

Now seeing that you have completely avoided spending power and employment rates, why do I think you are a stereotypical daddys girl who is very comfortable sponging off mummy and daddy whilst you are young. But what about when you need a job and you have to earn your own money? Are you going to choose where to live on where to spend daddys platinum card or where you can get a job to get you food? :rolleyes:

How is rain a blessing? Rumour has it that the UK's infrastructure is so **** that we still get droughts and water shortages even though we are so damp and wet for 9 months of the year.
(edited 12 years ago)

So most of the world I suppose :tongue:

Obviously you have never been to Tokyo for shopping if you think London is great.
Do you not think that revival of fashion shows that they are running out of ideas as those fashion styles were left to die out for a good reason?

Swarms of fat people? You realise we are almost at the same rate of obesity as the USA? Clearly not.
Again, what about the spending power etc that comes with the USA? You seemed to have utterly avoided that crucial point and make some ill informed comment about weight instead.
Australia being racist - where did they go? You know it is a big place right...oh, probably not.

Now seeing that you have completely avoided spending power and employment rates, why do I think you are a stereotypical daddys girl who is very comfortable sponging off mummy and daddy whilst you are young. But what about when you need a job and you have to earn your own money? Are you going to choose where to live on where to spend daddys platinum card or where you can get a job to get you food? :rolleyes:

How is rain a blessing? Rumour has it that the UK's infrastructure is so **** that we still get droughts and water shortages even though we are so damp and wet for 9 months of the year.

I guess I'll live la vie boheme until 'mummy and daddy' pop their clogs and I inherit their real estate and cards. Though I have a job and I work my arse off at college - a state school - for the good grades I get.
And fashion runs in circles; that goes for most aspects of culture.
What do you mean spending power? My British education has apparently failed me ... where are you from by the way?
They went to Queensland. Yes I know Australia's massive in comparrison to the UK but this entire argument is based on generalisations, nothing is true of an entire nation.
I guess I'll live la vie boheme until 'mummy and daddy' pop their clogs and I inherit their real estate and cards. Though I have a job and I work my arse off at college - a state school - for the good grades I get.
And fashion runs in circles; that goes for most aspects of culture.
What do you mean spending power? My British education has apparently failed me ... where are you from by the way?
They went to Queensland. Yes I know Australia's massive in comparrison to the UK but this entire argument is based on generalisations, nothing is true of an entire nation.

You can't work out what spending power is? My, you will need that inheritance.

It means what can you buy for the amount of money you have eg :

compared to for the same price....

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11954-E-Mariposa-Grande-Dr_Scottsdale_AZ_85255_M13088-01350?ex=AZ522253692&source=web

You get screwed over by tax in this country.

Quick Reply

Latest