The Student Room Group

Whole milk or semi-skimmed? (bulking)

The age old debate. What is your preferred beverage?

Im looking to put on weight over summer during pre-season so have heard drinking alot of milk is meant to be good but which is the better option. This is how i see it:

1. Whole milk is more calorie dense and therefore the likelyhood of exceeding your RDA cals is better and thus gaining weight.

2. Whole milk contains healthy fats that help absorption and protein synthesis. It is in an almost natural form whereas skimmed has been processed to remove alot of the fat content.

3. However skimmed has alot less sat fats, does this not mean that it would be healthier that its counterpart?

I have read on the internet (so dont know how credible this is) that whole milk is better at lean muscle development than skimmed, is this so? And how much would you drink daily, provided that you have a solid gym routine?

Has anyone had much progress in putting on weight by drinking alot of milk and cmobining it with weight training?. Im finding it quite hard at the moment, been working hard in the gym and trying to eat well and alot but dont seem to put weight on. Help please!
Yeah milk probably isn't the best way to bulk... you'll end up being constipated.

Trust me.
Reply 2
Original post by crazycake93
Yeah milk probably isn't the best way to bulk... you'll end up being constipated.

Trust me.

I bulked on milk, and didn't get constipated. Trust me.
I have switched from whole to semi now, was getting a bit heavy on my stomach in large quantities.
Original post by SMed
I bulked on milk, and didn't get constipated. Trust me.

Well you my friend are a genetic anomoly. Since were not naturally supposed to be able to digest large quantities of milk at this stage in our lives.

Otherwise you have intestines of steel.
Reply 5
Whole milk. Saturated fat isn't even bad for you.
Original post by crazycake93
Well you my friend are a genetic anomoly. Since were not naturally supposed to be able to digest large quantities of milk at this stage in our lives.

Otherwise you have intestines of steel.

A large proportion of Europeans aren't lactose intolerant and even in those that are there is a large range from severe through to very mild. There is no hard or fast rule - some people can consume large quantities of dairy products, some can't.

TBH if you were severely lactose intolerant constipation would be the least of your worries.
Original post by ch0c0h01ic
A large proportion of Europeans aren't lactose intolerant and even in those that are there is a large range from severe through to very mild. There is no hard or fast rule - some people can consume large quantities of dairy products, some can't.

TBH if you were severely lactose intolerant constipation would be the least of your worries.

True, dairy in excess seems to constipate me :tongue:
What about consuming natural yoghurt?
Reply 9
When using milk to bulk, how much to you generally drink per day?
Reply 10
drinking lots of milk doesn't make me constipated (and I drink LOTS OF MILK)
it does give my ****s the consistency of icecream though EWWWWWWW
Switched to whole for a while and it was working, but I got a bit sick of it and, anyway, I'm getting plenty of calories from other sources.

I know of a guy who bulked on pints of whole milk with added milk powder. Worked really quickly but is utterly disgusting...
Reply 12
**** the retard who cooks with flora cuisine and drinks skimmed milk who negged me. Go read some medical literature on the subject while you eat your low fat yogurt and fat free bread.

Quick Reply

Latest