The Student Room Group

Latymer Applicants 2011

Hey, thought I'd create this thread to see how it all goes
do you think you will pass the test or not?

also woodford county or latymer? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Latymer, obviously :wink:. I might follow this thread; it'll be interesting to know who's going to join our Sixth Form next year.

If you have any questions about Latymer, just ask me; I'll try my best to answer them.
Reply 2
I applied
Nice school, but horrible area and overpopulated.
Reply 3
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
I applied

I agree that Edmonton isn't the nicest area, but depending on where you live, you won't even have to walk that much to school from the nearest bus stop. The walk down Haselbury Road (from Silver Street where the 34/102/144 stop is), especially, is nothing to worry about - I've done it thousands of times, and have never experienced any trouble. The journey from Southgate or Palmers Green is even less dangerous, as the W6 stops about 50 meters from the South Gate.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you state that the school is overpopulated; admittedly, it's larger than many schools, but not excessively so.
Reply 4
Original post by the don
I applied

I live between Edmonton and Enfield and I can assure you that where Latymer is, isn't that bad compared to further down in Angel-Edmonton and Edmonton Green.
Reply 5
Original post by ash121

Original post by ash121
I live between Edmonton and Enfield and I can assure you that where Latymer is, isn't that bad compared to further down in Angel-Edmonton and Edmonton Green.

I would be inclined to agree with that sentiment. Most of the serious crimes tend to occur in Upper Edmonton, a considerable distance away from Latymer. I would still stay away from the recreational grounds adjacent to school though, as they are often targeted by muggers who see lower years in uniform as weak targets. There does seem to be an increased rivalry between Latymer and surrounding schools (they have the wrong idea that we're all posh, upper class toffs, just because we care about receiving a decent education), but the lack of uniform in the Sixth Form probably alleviates this particular problem.
Reply 6
Original post by und
I would be inclined to agree with that sentiment. Most of the serious crimes tend to occur in Upper Edmonton, a considerable distance away from Latymer. I would still stay away from the recreational grounds adjacent to school though, as they are often targeted by muggers who see lower years in uniform as weak targets. There does seem to be an increased rivalry between Latymer and surrounding schools (they have the wrong idea that we're all posh, upper class toffs, just because we care about receiving a decent education), but the lack of uniform in the Sixth Form probably alleviates this particular problem.

"serious crimes", ive been mugged before and its what ones, such as myself would call serious.
I go to a private school, we get called "posh c***s", "wastemen", "nerds". I have experienced first hand abuse in this field.
However Latymer is a great school and that balances things out. Tbh i like the fact that latymer is lenient with uniform as last year i had 12 detentions for uniform violation e.g hair over ears, shirt untucked and trousers low.
I also like that the school is mixed, never been to one before.

However the serious atmosphere frightens me as such. Ive been bantering around for X amount of years and still do reasonably well at school (3a*s 3as and 4Bs in my mocks) as do my friends.

Its also quite a large school, 200 hundred in year group, could be quite overwhelming.
Reply 7
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
However the serious atmosphere frightens me as such.

The serious atmosphere? I really don't know what you mean. For centuries, Latymer's aims have been “to provide a first class, liberal education where pupils achieve their full potential and show consideration for others”. Compared to other grammar schools, such as QE Boys', the teachers are more lenient and open to bantering, especially in the Sixth Form. They also don't overload us with homework, like I've heard they do at some schools.
Reply 8
lol guysss i didn't make this thread to slate latymer, just to talk about the sixth form applicants/procedure and to discuss who gets in/who doesn't, ahh well...continue :smile: xoxo
Original post by the don
hair over ears

Hair over ears gets you a detention???
Reply 10
Original post by Aishie
lol guysss i didn't make this thread to slate latymer, just to talk about the sixth form applicants/procedure and to discuss who gets in/who doesn't, ahh well...continue :smile: xoxo

Lol - don't worry. I just like to defend my school, when necessary, against people who think Edmonton is a ****-hole that you shouldn't dare enter unless you're a member of the Green Gang :gangster:.

:rolleyes:

Edit: By the way, haven't you done the entrance exams already? I thought people already had their offers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Lol - don't worry. I just like to defend my school, when necessary, against people who think Edmonton is a ****-hole that you shouldn't dare enter unless you're a member of the Green Gang :gangster:.

:rolleyes:

Lol thats jokes, rivalry between the green gang and the grey gang, mans get shot
Reply 12
Original post by dabest2500
Hair over ears gets you a detention???

Yeah it quite strict. Don't ask
Reply 13
Original post by Aishie
Hey, thought I'd create this thread to see how it all goes
do you think you will pass the test or not?

also woodford county or latymer? :smile:

Hey, what are your predictions and how did you find the test?
did you finish the whole thing?
Reply 14
Original post by the don
Hey, what are your predictions and how did you find the test?
did you finish the whole thing?

my predictions are a*'s and the test was ok-ish :/ ran out of time quite a lot thoughh, what about you? xoxo
Reply 15
Original post by Aishie
my predictions are a*'s and the test was ok-ish :/ ran out of time quite a lot thoughh, what about you? xoxo

Mine are a*s for subjects and the rest a's and a B (in history)
But latymer haven't contacted myschool for predictions yet, so i dont really know what happening.
I ran out of time in 2 of the tests, so i stupidly crossed any number.
wht u think of that?
Reply 16
Original post by the don
Mine are a*s for subjects and the rest a's and a B (in history)
But latymer haven't contacted myschool for predictions yet, so i dont really know what happening.
I ran out of time in 2 of the tests, so i stupidly crossed any number.
wht u think of that?

yessss hahaha samee i mean it's better than leaving them blank :smile:
were you am or pm? xoxo
Reply 17
Original post by Aishie
yessss hahaha samee i mean it's better than leaving them blank :smile:
were you am or pm? xoxo

nononono, weve both done the wrong thing. It lowers our IQ if we tick eny old box.
Its better to get everything youve done right than get some right and the rest wrong.
If you think about it 25% chance per q, randomly ticked about 8, so there is a 3.125% chance that i will get them.... cba to much effort to explain but many people did that, but i think evrything i did, i got correct so yeah, it was sorta quite fun tbh.

Am, ysh real effort, i wouod have done better in the afternoon, fully awake and all but yeah i think i did ok. Non verbal was defo the most fun, folding pages was cool Lol. ht did u think of the tests?
Reply 18
Original post by the don

Original post by the don
If you think about it 25% chance per q, randomly ticked about 8, so there is a 3.125% chance that i will get them....

Erm... No. The probability that you got them all right is 0.25^8, not 0.25/8 . You'd probably have the same chance of winning £1000 in the lottery as you would of getting eight questions that you guessed right!
Reply 19
Original post by und
Erm... No. The probability that you got them all right is 0.25^8, not 0.25/8 . You'd probably have the same chance of winning £1000 in the lottery as you would of getting eight questions that you guessed right!

sorry about that,, thought id try, ,then saw it would take too long, but ye,as we agree, no chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending