The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beska
I would.

What if I absolutely hated lectures?

Stop making dumb comments.

I honestly can't believe that someone would turn down an Oxbridge/Imperial education on the quality/method of teaching.
Reply 61
Bute Medical School! :awesome:
(University of St. Andrews) :love:
Reply 62
Original post by Straight up G
I honestly can't believe that someone would turn down an Oxbridge/Imperial education on the quality/method of teaching.

Then you know absolutely nothing about medicine admissions.
Reply 63
Original post by Beska
I would.

What if I absolutely hated lectures?

Stop making dumb comments.

well they do offer a good education - as does every medical school.

that said, imo you have to be a bit of a mentalist to choose ucl/gkt/imperial over a provinical school (IMO!). London is so bleeding expensive - and six years of living costs is a huge thing (and the fact you went to London doesn't even affect career progression!)

loads of people do - anecdotally I know people who went to Leeds and Edinburgh over Imperial - it's so bloody costly and I bet the socials in somewhere like Leeds are better as well :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
London South Bank all the way!
Reply 65
Original post by Organ

that said, imo you have to be a bit of a mentalist to choose ucl/gkt/imperial over a provinical school (IMO!). London is so bleeding expensive - and six years of living costs is a huge thing (and the fact you went to London doesn't even affect career progression!)

The implication the guy made was that they offered a better education than other places, which is nonsense.

Argh. :frown:
Reply 66
Original post by Beska
The implication the guy made was that they offered a better education than other places, which is nonsense.

Argh. :frown:

just whip out the stats about the toon :wink:

or rather just ignore some anon, london-centric tool on the web !
St. Mungo's is probably the best of the London ones, but it's tough it get into (you have to walk through a magic wall) and they look at your OWL and NEWT scores when shortlisting for interview.
Reply 68
Original post by Organ
just whip out the stats about the toon :wink:

or rather just ignore some anon, london-centric tool on the web !

I'll be whipping something out...
Original post by Beska
Then you know absolutely nothing about medicine admissions.

No, your statement's wrongly worded, but what you mean to say is that I know nothing about medicine applicants.

Maybe. I still don't understand it either way. If you are clever enough to do medicine than you should be clever enough to follow a traditional course.
Original post by Organ

loads of people do - anecdotally I know people who went to Leeds and Edinburgh over Imperial - it's so bloody costly and I bet the socials in somewhere like Leeds are better as well :wink:

I said quality/method of teaching.

Obviously I am aware of the insane costs of living in London and male:female ratio at Imperial, as well as the impression that it gives off sometimes as an all work no play university (though that daily fail article changed all that ehhh).
Reply 71
No, your statement's wrongly worded, but what you mean to say is that I know nothing about medicine applicants.

Maybe. I still don't understand it either way. If you are clever enough to do medicine than you should be clever enough to follow a traditional course.

No, I meant what I said Oscar Wilde.

No, you don't understand it. Not at all. I don't even know if you are applying to medicine or not, but if you are then you'll come to realise it soon enough.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
St. Mungo's is probably the best of the London ones, but it's tough it get into (you have to walk through a magic wall) and they look at your OWL and NEWT scores when shortlisting for interview.

I applied for their paramedic science course and my first placement was in the middle of some damn stupid field filled with cheering Irishmen and sulky Bulgarians.

Who said that 9-5 lectures were the only proper way to learn medicine? If the same content is covered (as the GMC mandates) then surely the individual should be able to pick the university that teaches in the best way for them?
Original post by Beska
No, I meant what I said Oscar Wilde.

No, you don't understand it. Not at all. I don't even know if you are applying to medicine or not, but if you are then you'll come to realise it soon enough.

September 2011.

Realise what exactly
Reply 75
September 2011.

Realise what exactly

Realise that the be-all and end-all of medical schools isn't the golden triangle.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Who said that 9-5 lectures were the only proper way to learn medicine? If the same content is covered (as the GMC mandates) then surely the individual should be able to pick the university that teaches in the best way for them?

Maybe its because I'm surrounded with people who say that PBL is a doss and that you never learn anything, it's all stupid amounts of self study, ie you are paying for the privilege to teach yourself medicine. You are, as some noob said, an imitation of your best friends.
Original post by Beska
Realise that the be-all and end-all of medical schools isn't the golden triangle.

Of course not, I'm hoping for entry to Birmingham, Leeds or Newcastle.
In a perfect world, I'd be hoping for entry to the golden triangle minus Kings.
I do still not understand why anyone would reject them on quality/method of teaching.
Reply 78

Harvard use PBL.
Maybe its because I'm surrounded with people who say that PBL is a doss and that you never learn anything, it's all stupid amounts of self study, ie you are paying for the privilege to teach yourself medicine. You are, as some noob said, an imitation of your best friends.

University is supposed to be about self study- and I doubt that PBL courses throw you to the wolves on your first day and say "we'll be back in 5 years to see who is still alive."

Also, I think people can sometimes forget that the final 3 years of a medical degree are pretty much the same everywhere.

Latest

Trending

Trending