The Student Room Group

Converting from Law to Surveying/Planning/Development

Hey, seeking a wee bit of advice.

Currently graduating from my LL.B in law in a few months and I'm having a hard think as to what to do with my life. I do enjoy some aspects of law, but after 3 years of sitting at a desk and reading textbooks - i'm considering alternative career paths.

I've always been a bit more hands on and practical, like to get stuck in with projects and work incredibly hard when I have a passion for something. At school I generally excelled in more practical subjects; Design & Technology, ICT, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Electronics... I also thoroughly enjoyed the finance and management modules in Business Studies at GCSE (A*) and A Level (B - Although my mum passed away during this year)

I've had a look around and a number of uni's offer (fully accredited) MSc's targeted at undergraduates with their first degree in an alternative subject which means I would be able to 'convert' from law to surveying/planning/management.

So - any advice? What to look for, what's good/what's bad about this industry. Different area's to look at?

I've looked at a MSc in Quantity Surveying and that seems to tick all the boxes;
Pro-active
Management
Finance
Law
Planning

It just seems a career that I could be really interested in and the more I read about it - the more I think it suits my skills and interests.

Any help at all is appreciated!

Rybee (:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Go for it. I'm changing from Architecture at Notts Uni to International Real Estate and Planning at UCL. Considering your knowledge of Law, I'd probably go into Commercial Surveying by doing a Real Estate focussed masters.
Reply 2
Yeah it did occur to me that a few of 'them types' of courses/careers seemed to focus at least partially on law so I did think it'd be an advantageous undergraduate degree, as opposed to English for example.

Are there any areas that are particularly/less competitive than others?
Reply 3
Original post by Rybee
Hey, seeking a wee bit of advice.

Currently graduating from my LL.B in law in a few months and I'm having a hard think as to what to do with my life. I do enjoy some aspects of law, but after 3 years of sitting at a desk and reading textbooks - i'm considering alternative career paths.

I've always been a bit more hands on and practical, like to get stuck in with projects and work incredibly hard when I have a passion for something. At school I generally excelled in more practical subjects; Design & Technology, ICT, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Electronics... I also thoroughly enjoyed the finance and management modules in Business Studies at GCSE (A*) and A Level (B - Although my mum passed away during this year)

I've had a look around and a number of uni's offer (fully accredited) MSc's targeted at undergraduates with their first degree in an alternative subject which means I would be able to 'convert' from law to surveying/planning/management.

So - any advice? What to look for, what's good/what's bad about this industry. Different area's to look at?

I've looked at a MSc in Quantity Surveying and that seems to tick all the boxes;
Pro-active
Management
Finance
Law
Planning

It just seems a career that I could be really interested in and the more I read about it - the more I think it suits my skills and interests.

Any help at all is appreciated!

Rybee (:

I can't see a LL.B doing anything but making you a better QS.

The only thing I'd warn you about is that there are plenty of experienced QS's out of work, the construction sector is in really bad shape. New QS graduates are finding it hard to get jobs when there are so many candidates with years of experience. Experience and proven results count for a lot in the construction industry.
Reply 4
Original post by KeyserNI
I can't see a LL.B doing anything but making you a better QS.

The only thing I'd warn you about is that there are plenty of experienced QS's out of work, the construction sector is in really bad shape. New QS graduates are finding it hard to get jobs when there are so many candidates with years of experience. Experience and proven results count for a lot in the construction industry.

Yeah I know - I was going to ask about this. Obviously this area is recession sensitive and I'd have to weigh this up, I'm trying not to be put off something that I would like to pursue long term, by something that is affecting it short term, i.e. until this recession is over.

I think most would say I'm a little bit crazy to even think of it, but right now, I think it'd really suit me.
Reply 5
I don't think the construction sector will ever recover to the heights of a couple of years ago especially with new cuts. A few years ago a QS could get a job anywhere, lots of people were getting jobs at their first try out of college. We were using a big national QS firm on a project that had over 80 QS's in the office local to us in 2006/2007, now the office is empty. Not many opportunities in Australia, Ireland or the middle east anymore which is where lots of people headed. Of the 4 or 5 QS's I know personally they all lost their jobs, most of them are self employed now doing consulting work and they make a living but their not nearly as comfortable as they once were.

If you can find someone to take you on and give you the experience then find a niche you can make a go of it. Everything is bad at the minute you just have to make the best of it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for your input, it's incredibly helpful :smile:
Reply 7
I think its fair to say that being a QS is a fairly dull job - if you're looking to change from law in the hope that you'll find it more interesting.
Reply 8
Original post by jrhartley
I think its fair to say that being a QS is a fairly dull job - if you're looking to change from law in the hope that you'll find it more interesting.

Why - this seems contrary to what I've read? (that said, I know very little in practice)

What alternatives would be more active/interesting?
Reply 9
Original post by Rybee
Why - this seems contrary to what I've read? (that said, I know very little in practice)

What alternatives would be more active/interesting?

Well, you basically just spend your time referencing your SPONS pricing guide and your cost tables and then speaking to architects about providing budgetary estimates then (if required by the client) monitoring quantities of materials used and checking that off against costs. Not the mot scintiliating of jobs I'd say, but everyone's got different angles. Personally I can't see what the development is. Sure you can work on bigger schemes, but the principles would appear the same, and its just scaling up the same process. Not much creativity I guess is why I don't find it appealing. I think law would be more varied.

Not sure what would be more interesting. You mentioned development - that's going to be a lot more hands-on, but obviously you don't need to do a degree to move into that. And its massively high risk at the moment (buying in as prices fall off a cliff). Maybe in two years or so. Look at what the Candy brothers did.
Reply 10
Original post by thebadboy2k1
Go for it. I'm changing from Architecture at Notts Uni to International Real Estate and Planning at UCL. Considering your knowledge of Law, I'd probably go into Commercial Surveying by doing a Real Estate focussed masters.

Can I ask for the reason why you changed from Architecture to Real Estate?

Sorry this is off topic but I'm just interested.
Reply 11
Yes life as a QS is pretty boring but most of the ones I know branch out into other things eventually, lots become project managers or feasibility consultants etc. In my opinion every job gets boring after a while.
Original post by chenman27
Can I ask for the reason why you changed from Architecture to Real Estate?

Sorry this is off topic but I'm just interested.

Sure. Well I'm still finishing my undergrad degree in Arch, but tbh I've not enjoyed the course, and I'm more realistic as what I can realistically expect from it as a career than when I started 3 years ago. You'll find a lot of Architecture students tend to moan more and more about the low remuneration with respect to the effort that goes into getting the degree.

Personally, I've realised I'm just not that into it, so might aswell cut my losses and call it quits. I don't fancy struggling through the full course to qualification to end up a mediocre Architect and get by on an average salary. If you're going to do something, aim to be the best, 'cus only then are you going to reap the rewards. And in Architecture, it's a talent game, and it takes ALOT to make it big. By all means, if you're passionate about it then by all means stick at it, because it will take a certain amount of passion to make it as GOOD Architect (of course, this begs the question, what makes a good architect? No doubt everyone has their own perception of this).

Generally speaking, I'm more business minded than design-orientated and, after learning about Real Estate courses through my brother (who's studying BSc Real Estate Management), I've learned a lot about the opportunities this career brings. I'm interning at Ernst & Young this summer in Corporate Finance, so will see where I end up finally working, but as it stands I'm really excited about this change in my career path and the subsequent financial comforts it will hopefully bring.
Reply 13
Original post by thebadboy2k1
Sure. Well I'm still finishing my undergrad degree in Arch, but tbh I've not enjoyed the course, and I'm more realistic as what I can realistically expect from it as a career than when I started 3 years ago. You'll find a lot of Architecture students tend to moan more and more about the low remuneration with respect to the effort that goes into getting the degree.

Personally, I've realised I'm just not that into it, so might aswell cut my losses and call it quits. I don't fancy struggling through the full course to qualification to end up a mediocre Architect and get by on an average salary. If you're going to do something, aim to be the best, 'cus only then are you going to reap the rewards. And in Architecture, it's a talent game, and it takes ALOT to make it big. By all means, if you're passionate about it then by all means stick at it, because it will take a certain amount of passion to make it as GOOD Architect (of course, this begs the question, what makes a good architect? No doubt everyone has their own perception of this).

Generally speaking, I'm more business minded than design-orientated and, after learning about Real Estate courses through my brother (who's studying BSc Real Estate Management), I've learned a lot about the opportunities this career brings. I'm interning at Ernst & Young this summer in Corporate Finance, so will see where I end up finally working, but as it stands I'm really excited about this change in my career path and the subsequent financial comforts it will hopefully bring.

Thanks, I think it's great that you are branching out but I just find it odd how nearly every person doing architecture and on studentroom seems to be switching professions :s-smilie: Still good luck with your course. I'd also consider myself quite business minded but I don't know which is the overriding trait. Hopefully Part 1 will provide me with these answers as architecture is still a good degree anyway.
Reply 14
After a bit more research, I think building surveying seems more suited to me. Any advice on this area?
QS is very good but BS may be more suited to you as its a tad more practical.
Reply 16
Yeah it seems to be the case... Would be useful if anyone else studying BS was about to provide info?

I really do appreciate your help guys (:
Reply 17
I've studied lots of things construction related including Building and Quantity Surveying. I know lots of Building Surveyors that are vocational trained like me but I know very few QS's that didn't go to university. Go and get a qualification in QS then do something BS related part-time later on.

Building surveying is also hardly hands on. No one actually goes out and surveys anything anymore except the work experience students or the new guys. Most of the building surveyors I know hire a different company to do the actual practical bit.
Reply 18
Bump - any other advice?
Reply 19
Original post by Rybee
Bump - any other advice?

Commercial surveying.

Quick Reply