The Student Room Group

Is there such a thing as cannot revise?

I'm an A2 student, just going into a time where i should really be cracking down to revision.
But i can't get motivated, every time i go to start, i never get round to actually doing anything.
I'm quite worried that i won't get the grades necessary for me to get into my desired Uni.
Can anyone give me any revision tips, anything that helped you, when you were at this stage?

Reply 1
Headphones. Find some music that makes you concentrate and get headphones that give you that feeling of being in world of your own. It works for me :smile:
Reply 2
Same thing is happening to me, esp when i am on the computer
wait, what am i doing on here anyway!?!
I had a really good revision day yesterday and a really bad one today. I haven't done a quarter of what I planned to and I'm too tired to carry on. The difference between yesterday and today was:

I revised outside in my local park for a little while- lost a bit of revision time traveling there, but I got work done

I woke up on time- I woke up at 15 minutes past 9. I was only meant to start at 9 but everything went slightly wrong after that because I hadn't got into the 'MUST REVISE' mindset I would have had if I'd woken up an hour before.

I took breaks- but I didn't extend them. I took one 'half an hour break' today and it turned into 2 hours of doing f-all.

I wrote out what I was going to cover the night before- most important thing IMO.

I ate- note to self: This is revision time. You need food to be able to revise and pass exams. :sigh: /notetoself
Oh and on the flipside, DON'T eat total junk. Aim for balanced meals so your brain is at its optimum level of functioning. You want slow release carbs, people! :tongue:

I wasn't being interrupted by people ringing the door- Yay, I have a new passport! Boo, I can't get back to work now!

I wasn't anxious- Why wasn't I anxious yesterday? Because I was doing the damn work!

Translated into non Diamonddust specifics :tongue:....

Revise somewhere there are no distractions, make sure you're close to natural light, make sure you know what you plan to revise, get all your resources together, make sure you eat at regular intervals- a body cannot revise on diet coke :sigh:, don't suddenly realise you need to go to the gym/take a shower/clean your room, get a desk if you have one and make yourself sit there, and don't you even THINK about going onto the computer- unless it's during a break. Better still, go to a library!

And finally.... for the love of God... STAY OFF TSR!

There.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
If I unplug my labtop and move it to an inconveniant location, I'm too lazy to set it all back up again so I'll start revising. I actually need to be checking by email today for something hence why I've done **** all. X]
Get a routine. It doesn't matter what it is but get one and stick to it. For example. Wake up at 9am, be ready to work by 10am and work for an hour. Then spare time and lunch and then revise from 1pm for an hour. Then work again at 5pm and 7pm and then you'll have found that you've done 4 hours of revision quite easily. If you find this isn't working then start at smaller chunks of half an hour and extend them as you get used to working.

Also, turning off the internet/computer is quite helpful!
Original post by AlexP1993
I'm an A2 student, just going into a time where i should really be cracking down to revision.
But i can't get motivated, every time i go to start, i never get round to actually doing anything.
I'm quite worried that i won't get the grades necessary for me to get into my desired Uni.
Can anyone give me any revision tips, anything that helped you, when you were at this stage?

its called being a lazy sod. get off your arse and revise! or you'll regret it!
Reply 7
I once went to the library when I had my school bag, and decided to revise. Never had a better revision day (until I decided that the book next to me looked really interesting...)
have you tired listening to white noise? it's strangely relaxing. i found a 12 hour video of it on youtube, it's supposed to help you relax. so try that!

i was doing my coursework listening to it with headphones and after 30 seconds or so you forget anything is actually playing and i became focused. it's really strange, but try it for sure.
I always find music entertains me but if it has lyrics then I can't concentrate as much. Doing my revision at a desk with a clear table apart from the stuff i need beside me, a bottle of water, regular (but not to regular breaks), I find if I try and plan revision I spend longer making a plan :P. I stick to one subject if I can per day and just really concentrate on that one and go over it all at the end trying to make sure I haven't forgotten too much of it :smile: umm that's about it. I will add more if I think of anything worth saying.
If you find that you get distracted by the internet use Leechblock (not sure whether this is just an add on for Firefox but there'll be similar things for other browsers...I think?) which 'bans' you from certain websites for a certain amount of time. It forced me to get my literature coursework done way before the deadline and then seeing as I was already in the working mode I started revision for Spanish...:smile:
I know the feeling though...the thought of failure and not getting into university doesn't even motivate me to revise for some reason, I don't understand why I can't just get on with it! Good luck :biggrin:
Original post by choly7
I once went to the library when I had my school bag, and decided to revise. Never had a better revision day (until I decided that the book next to me looked really interesting...)

LMAO! :five: Not just me then!

Original post by llamalad200
have you tired listening to white noise? it's strangely relaxing. i found a 12 hour video of it on youtube, it's supposed to help you relax. so try that!

i was doing my coursework listening to it with headphones and after 30 seconds or so you forget anything is actually playing and i became focused. it's really strange, but try it for sure.

It scares me... :afraid: :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by diamonddust
LMAO! :five: Not just me then!

It scares me... :afraid: :tongue:

Read the first 8 chapters before I had to go home- result :biggrin:
Yes there is OP. You just defined it by creating this thread :h:
I've got into a habit of having Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on replay whilst I revise :biggrin:
I get what you mean though. Tbh, I'm revising like mad out of pure fear of failure :frown:

I'm so scared
Yep, and it results in 'won't get good results'.
Reply 16
Yes. Although my reason is due to the fact that we haven't as of yet finished half the stuff for chemistry or physics so there is no actual way of revising.
Reply 17
its hard to realise when its time to get some sleep as well! agrh im getting distracted! what am i doing on here anyway!>?

Quick Reply

Latest