The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by avila
Yeah basic kanji book is nice. I own both the first and the second cause the PDFs floating around on the web suck and have some spanish stuff written inside them.

Taking the N5 JLPT at SOAS this July. Guess I better not tell them that I took it then. :<

Oh yeah, besides I prefare the book as opposed to staring at a screen, plus with the book you dont need to take your laptop around.

Nah i wouldn't worry, they take on people with A level Japanese etc, theres a good mix of people from scratch and people with prior knowledge, but everyones at the same level by christmas.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Lol, looks like we'll have some interesting people to look after next year Dane (current first year).

You guys should make a facebook group for 2011 J-studies, it'll be easier for us to get to know you all :biggrin:
scrap that...just saw that someone already did...oops
Original post by Kendo_Artist
scrap that...just saw that someone already did...oops

yea but no one is joining it :frown:, come on you guys, you know you want to get to know the people you will be studying with for the next 4 years :tongue:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_163901023664195&ap=1
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_163901023664195 so it seems.

Edit: opps didnt see it posted above XD
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Just firmed Sheffield for Japanese Studies and looking forward to seeing you guys in September :biggrin:

Planning a summer holiday full of studying Japanese, and thinking about taking JLPT N2 soon!

I'd love get to know everyone and practice Japanese with anyone here :redface:
Reply 46
:holmes:
Reply 47
Original post by Mikeywarren89
yea but no one is joining it

Would join it, but no Facebook.
Yes people like that still exist

Oh well.
Reply 48
Original post by avila
Would join it, but no Facebook.
Yes people like that still exist

Oh well.

Not on facebook either so I can't join :P. You're not the only one.

Also, HELLO EVERYONE!!!Look forward to meeting you all in September!
Original post by Ash S

Planning a summer holiday full of studying Japanese, and thinking about taking JLPT N2 soon!

N2? So you already know over 1,000 kanji and 6000 vocab? :noonoo:
Reply 50
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
N2? So you already know over 1,000 kanji and 6000 vocab? :noonoo:

Hmm, yeah I know the jouyou kanji except for some of the new additions. And I have no idea how much vocab I know sorry :confused:
Original post by Ash S
Hmm, yeah I know the jouyou kanji except for some of the new additions. And I have no idea how much vocab I know sorry :confused:

Why did they accept you then, you will know the same amount of kanji if not more than a 4th year. :confused:
Reply 52
Original post by Ash S
Hmm, yeah I know the jouyou kanji except for some of the new additions.

Why did they accept you then, you will know the same amount of kanji if not more than a 4th year. :confused:

This.

Japanese Studies is aimed at beginners. They do have various levels of classes based on the module pages I worked through, but... :V

And if you're doing N2, you should be speaking/reading/writing/listening at near-native level. You'll be bored out of your mind, methinks.
Reply 53

I'm not sure myself, but I guess there's a lot more to the course than kanji knowledge. I'm looking forward to the cultural/society/history stuff.
there's a girl similar to you in our year (current 1st year), she knows more japanese than the 4th years, even more than Nagai Sensei I dare say it! I suppose the only real challenge you'll face is Ancient/Classical Japanese in the 2nd year. other than that Kanji is the hardest part of it in my opinion. It depends on how much grammar you know.

People who have done only A level Japanese however....won't have it so easy, the people starting with no knowledge at all (like me and Dane when we started) will be at your level by christmas of the first year. We've started to notice that some of the a level people are struggling because their a level knowledge is not helping them anymore.... Just a word of advice, don't get complacent.
Reply 55
Original post by Kendo_Artist
We've started to notice that some of the a level people are struggling because their a level knowledge is not helping them anymore.... Just a word of advice, don't get complacent.

Are those kind of people a minority?
It'd suck to sit in a class full of people saying I did A-Level Japanese, I know everything over and over.
Original post by avila
It'd suck to sit in a class full of people saying I did A-Level Japanese, I know everything over and over.

There are a lot, when i first started meeting people i struggled to find someone whos doing it from scratch but i think over 50% came with nothing.
When you start you will notice people kicking your arse in everything cos they've done it before, but as Steve said that doesn't last long.
Reply 57
Original post by avila

In the open day talk about three people asked the same question about A-Levels and whether they even needed to attend to for the first month or two. It seemed like they were in disbelief that their A-Levels weren't as important as they originally thought. One girl was complaining that she would be stuck with people who had never studied Japanese before and that she should be put in a special class with other A-Level Students. I hope I don't get stuck in a class of people who just moan and whine because the work is easy for them at first :frown:.
Original post by 07734
One girl was complaining that she would be stuck with people who had never studied Japanese before and that she should be put in a special class with other A-Level Students. I hope I don't get stuck in a class of people who just moan and whine because the work is easy for them at first :frown:.

Sounds like she needs to get out of her own arse to me. A level students ive spoke to said at first it wasn't new to them but it reinforced their knowledge, and by christmas they were learning new things in terms of grammar. At the end of the day, just worry about yourself :cool:
Reply 59
Original post by 07734
One girl was complaining that she would be stuck with people who had never studied Japanese before and that she should be put in a special class with other A-Level Students.

People these days... :rolleyes:

Sounds a bit scary tbh. We finished this book at Reading Uni this year with four hours of class a week, but there's no way I'd be boasting about my "skills" (and I use that term lightly) or even think about asking to skip the first few weeks of class. Quite the contrary.

I've always thought a twenty-credit language class/Japanese A-Level/whatever was sort of like a torture test -- like, if you manage to sit through this, you've proven yourself worthy of studying the real deal. :V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending