The Student Room Group

Caraniel's Splendid Spring Anime Preview 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caraniel
I think only Steins;Gate is unavailable in the UK on Crunchyroll. I haven't signed up to Anime of Demand yet, I don't really want to be paying two subscriptions & Crunchyroll has a much larger library at the moment.

I was hoping they'd go after different series to Crunchyroll. :sadnod: Not that I use either site, but I'd imagine AoD is going to struggle to get off the ground unless they can get a few more exclusive titles.
Reply 41
yes it would be a shame for them to have problems before they can even get going :s-smilie:
I've decided to give X-Men a go; as I said way back when Ironman was first slated to be released (and later pushed back), I'm really interested in seeing MADHOUSE's take on these series, but due to workloads and computer trouble etc. I never got around to the first two MARVEL adaptations, and hearing people's opinions of them afterwards hasn't left me desperate to go back to them. :no: But I'll make up my own mind about this one. :yes:
Unsurprisingly, I'm also picking up Maria+Holic Alive. Glad they started with Girl's Dorm 1 - as I was reading vol. 6 of the manga, I thought it would make a good first ep to the new season. :giggle:

[EDIT] Best first episode of the season so far has to go to Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera, another must-watch. :biggrin: Very different in tone to the dark, psychological OVA adaptation as expected, but it works well as a comedy too (it IS a Go Nagai show afterall :giggle:).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
Okay! 1st impressions then! I'm copying from my blog (its much easier to write drafts there) so if you want to read there the layout is probably better.
Since I'm hugely behind thanks to my holiday - these impressions are a bit shorter than normal & also I've got 10 here in one go (with another 10 or so watched & ready to write about).

Anyway here we go~!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

X-Men

Spoiler

Surprisingly not as terrible as Iron Man or Wolverine! That still doesn’t mean that X-Men can be called ‘good’ in the conventional sense, but I think this is the best of the Marvel/Madhouse collaborations. It’s all very grand and overly dramatic, plus it assumes you have a clue who these characters are before hand (luckily I do, if only from childhood cartoons & those hollywood films) so I wasn’t floundering about in the dark about what was going on when the characters are fighting Jean/Phoenix in the opening sequence. The dialogue is clunky and over acted, with an over reliance on Prof. Xavier for long expositionary monologues to get things moving, Cyclops is skirting the line of Sasuke level emo, Wolverine is a meat-headed idiot & Beast seems to enjoy playing god with his extraordinary intelligence by creating a super intelligent squid.

The animation is pretty good, but the character designs are hilariously over muscled its like everyone is on a ****load of steroids! The music is pretty bad too pointlessly dramatic at strange times, it occasionally threatens to drown out the dialogue and made everything just that little harder to take seriously. Which is a shame, because X-Men clearly takes itself incredibly seriously and the overall feeling is that it’s just trying too hard! I’m going to give it a fair chance though, just like I did for Iron Man & Wolverine 3 episode trial to impress me!

Dog Days

Spoiler

Now this was just plain weird! I have no idea what they’re trying to accomplish with this show, but it fails to be good on any level. The character designs are horrible, the world setting is just odd (war = some sort of Gladiators rip off, who knew!?), things just seem to happen for the sake of it (sure let’s have a dog with a magic dagger teleport our protagonist, that makes sense!), the main character has absolutely no sense of reality (I’m just going to assume this is an elaborate dream and lap up the attention) and its worst crime seems to be that it doesn’t even exploit its stupidity by being silly……its just stupid and expects us to think that’s brilliant!

Urgh, I hate idiotic things like this. The worst thing is that it has a really good cast its full of ‘hey, it’s that voice!’ moments but it feels like the majority of the budget has been blown on landing these well-known names rather than on decent writers or making the animation look good. Definitely not watching anymore of this, it’s not even ‘so bad its good’.

Nichijou (Everyday Life)

Spoiler

I’m a bit undecided about Nichijou, it’s a bit too much moe and a too little absurdity for my liking I think I prefered the show when it was called Cromartie High and was full of delinquents. I struggle with plotless comedy at the best of times, it just seems to rub me the wrong way (never did finish Excel Saga or Hare + Guu not for lack of trying though!) so have the feeling that Nichijou is just going to be another show that I won’t ‘get’. I will say that the 1st episode was much better than the OVA that came out shortly before it, and it did raise a few chuckles but it was few & far between.

The animation is very simple, none of KyoAni’s usual gloss is really apparent but it is solidly done (although I don’t like how much white & blank space there is in some frames). Voice acting is competent, and the OP is pretty catchy. I’ll give it another 2 episodes because I don’t want to dismiss it out of hand, however if I’m honest I doubt I’ll stick Nichijou out for the duration, its not really my cup of tea as randomness doesn’t really equate hilarity for me.

Hen Zemi TV (Abnormal Physiology Seminar)

Spoiler

It doesn’t work. The thing that was inspired about the Hen Zemi OVA’s was how completely disgusting and uncomfortable they were to watch, they just kept needling and needling at you until you squirmed yet at the same time they were completely compelling & hilarious. The TV series just doesn’t have that balls out audacity simply due to what it is a TV series with a much more mainstream audience. We’ve lost the intriguing aspect that looked at sexual perversions and are left with just people being weird I mean breeding flies in your ear!? Who the hell does that for kicks!? I did have fears that this would happen once I learned Hen Zemi was getting a TV show with the director of Rio: Rainbow Gate at the helm its unfortunate that those fears weren’t unfounded.

I’ll probably give Hen Zemi another episode, but I don’t think it will be worth watching this muddled, watered down version of the show its lost its identity in the transition to TV.

Hana-Saku Iroha

Spoiler

This was surprisingly excellent. I went in expecting some bland, moe niceness and was rather surprised by how carefully crafted Hana-saku Iroha is its got a lot going for it. It’s the writing that the most impressive thing about the show sure is beautiful to look at as well (PA Works turn out fantastic animation), but the real strength is in how well written the characters and setting are. I mean the whole setup of a put-upon, but optimistic girl abandoned by her selfish mother and sent to live with a strict overbearing grandmother, is a plot lifted right from classic literature (and a staple of Disney princess stories too) however Hana-saku Iroha never feels contrived, rather it feels fresh and interesting; and I’m impressed.

As I said the animation is beautiful, but another major strength is in the voice acting there’s no over acting, or cuteness for the sake of being cute; it feels like proper acting (probably because it’s a strong script). The music is nicely done too which is nice as this season seems to have some really dreadful soundtracks! Overall I’m much more positive about Hana-saku Iroha than I thought I’d be one to watch for sure!

Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai (Under the Innocent Sky)

Spoiler

I don’t actually know how to articulate how utterly bad this was but I can say that it was a painful experience to get through the episode! I knew it was going to be terrible when I saw the promo material, but I am actually shocked by how Oretsuba managed to find new and bizarre ways in which to suck donkey balls…….it was an experience I wouldn’t wish upon anyone! The show has absolutely no sense of cohesion perspective jumps about with no warning, like it was made by a hyperactive child who somehow got its hand on some crack its just strange. I don’t know who the main characters are meant to be, all I know is that there are an awful lot of characters introduced and not one of them are likeable or normal. We have a group of fellas perving on waitresses (one of which just would not shut up!!), a character that only shows up to proclaim he’s from a parallel universe, and most bizarrely, a loli who urges another character to put the “monster” in his pants in her “kitty”…….I just don’t know what to make of this show, it’s so wrong!

The animation is awful too, horrendously overdone character designs and awful direction (complete with some really odd fanservice it’s literally just fired in there for the sake of it), and what the hell was with that ED!? The writing is rubbish, the acting is terrible and the music isn’t much better…….its just a mess and nothing could compel me to watch anymore of this!

Gintama II

Spoiler

I’ll make no apologies, I fangirl over Gintama shamelessly and this premiere episode of the new series just seemed to be made of all the things I loved about Gintama. In short I loved it, and sat with a huge grin on my face for the duration of the episode. The shameless parodies, the visual gags, the over exaggerated facial expressions & shouting, the breaking of the fourth wall and complete randomness it was wonderful to have Gintama back. I prefer this kind of overblown parody based humour to the inane randomness of Nichijou, it just appeals to my stupid sense of humour a lot more.

The animation quality seems to have improved in the switch to HD, the full cast is back in their roles and the OP & ED are among the better offering so the season. I’ll definitely be keeping Gintama’ on (as if there was ever any doubt about that! XD)

Sengoku Otome ~Momoiro Paradox~

Spoiler

Here’s another show where I have no clue what the creators where trying to do. It’s about as vanilla as its possible to get when your female cast is prancing about in tiny bikini’s pretending to be armour. I mean there isn’t even much fanservice for me to get pissed off about, and it’s not like the writing or direction is so unforgivably terrible that I’m frothing at the mouth at the idea of it……for a series with so much potential to be utterly (and hilariously) awful, Sengoku Otome manages to be completely dull & boring an achievement really. The best bit was at the very end with the dog, because that was a bit different. But overall the show was a parade of boring pointlessness.

Animation, voice acting, music & direction are all passable nothing overly right or wrong anywhere. Basically Sengoku Otome is ‘meh’ incarnate. Not watching anymore!

Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Hakairoku-hen (Ultimate Gambler Kaiji S2)

Spoiler

Zawa-zawa, zawa-zawa~! Oh Kaiji. You’d think the man would have learned his lesson after the finale of season one, but no, he’s just as pathetic in this season and thank god for that! Yeap, its like Kaiji has never been away we pick up things a few months after the end of S1 & its business as usual. This first episode does a great job of setting up the next arc, it has Kaiji properly hit rock bottom and sees him stay there due to his phenomenal ability to make terrible decisions and burst into tears whenever the slightest bit of psychological pressure is applied to him. As a main character its hard to find one more flawed than Kaiji, but it’s very compelling to watch him struggle. I’d imagine the pace is going to be just as frustratingly slow as S1 I was lucky in that I marathoned Kaiji after it ended, and I’m considering doing the same for S2 because dear god can it ever drag things out!

The animation is the same as ever behold the noses that can double as ice picks! The music & background zawa-zawas are as hilarious as always (but that ED is going to give me nightmares!) and Mr Narrator still sounds way too deliriously happy about Kaiji’s munching on crisps & beer. Basically it’s more of the same & I’m OK with that~!

30-sai no Hoken Taiiku (Health & Physical Education for 30 year-olds)

Spoiler

If you’re going to watch this wait for AT-X’s uncensored version, because the censorship in this renders it entirely pointless. The sheer amount & blantancy of the censoring was actually funny! Whats the point in having a sex-ed programme when everything is going to be censored!? But yeah, everything else about this is terrible the animation looks like its been done on a shoestring budget, perhaps in someone’s basement on a 2nd hand computer. The voice acting is dire I’m really, really getting tired of Hiro Shimono’s tendency to shriek at everything he’s completely been typecast as the loser male lead in these sub-par comedies now, which is a shame because he can act when given decent material!

I may give this another look when the uncensored version comes out, just to see if there’s any value at all beyond laughing at the censorship (doubtful).

Okay! More when I have them written~
Reply 45
What did you think of Hatdance?!
Reply 46
Original post by Juno
What did you think of Hatdance?!

Full thoughts shall be in the next batch of impressions, but I enjoyed it :biggrin:
Steins;Gate just became the third new series I've picked up today, it was certainly intriguing. :beard:

Original post by vin
that white noise the whole time except during the op was a pain :hmmm: but it was clearly intentional

Strange, either the version I had didn't have any white noise, or I didn't notice it at all. :confused:

I also watched Softenni, but I'm throwing that on the 'maybe' pile for now. I found it amusing, but certainly nothing original, and I've already picked up a lot of comedy shows.
Reply 48
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Steins;Gate just became the third new series I've picked up today, it was certainly intriguing. :beard:

Strange, either the version I had didn't have any white noise, or I didn't notice it at all. :confused:

I also watched Softenni, but I'm throwing that on the 'maybe' pile for now. I found it amusing, but certainly nothing original, and I've already picked up a lot of comedy shows.

most likely you didnt notice depending on how your sound is set up:s-smilie: Its been mentioned on other sites a fair bit and seemed to also be in the episode on crunchy roll too :sadnod: But its not that bad, you forget its there after a while.:giggle:
Dog Days was definitely good enough for me to keep watching, but rather than add to my increasingly large list of series, I'll be chucking Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai out to make room for it. Both felt strangely similar, but Dog Days was easily the better in terms of animation and Norio Wakamoto. :yes:

[Edit] I'll also be watching Tiger and Bunny weekly, great first episode. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50
I've decided to try

Dog days

Nichijou (everyday life)

Hen Zemi- though I am put off after hearing Cara's thoughts. I was never able to find the OVA for some reason :lolwut:

Hana Saku Iroha

Sengoku Otome

Aria the scarlet ammo

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (Electromagnetic Wave Woman & Adolescent Man) (mainly for the name)

Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera

Deadman wonderland

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control

A channel?

and a few others...will also check in here to see if anyone says anything stands out :mmm:
Reply 51
Original post by Truered

Original post by Truered
I've decided to try

Dog days

Nichijou (everyday life)

Hen Zemi- though I am put off after hearing Cara's thoughts. I was never able to find the OVA for some reason :lolwut:

Hana Saku Iroha

Sengoku Otome

Aria the scarlet ammo

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (Electromagnetic Wave Woman & Adolescent Man) (mainly for the name)

Deadman wonderland

C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control

A channel?

and a few others...will also check in here to see if anyone says anything stands out :mmm:

Hatdance :yep:

Euge is gonna try it :smile:
I watched the One Piece x Toriko special a while ago, but decided I'd wait until the actual start of the series before choosing whether to pick it up or not. Wasn't overly impressed when I found out it would be the same episode already covered in the TV special (which I've seen three times), and that I'd have to wait yet another week to see something new that didn't feel like filler. :sadnod: However, I liked Toei's version - better animation and hints at an antagonist made it worth my time. Of course I'm picking this up.
Reply 53
Original post by eugenius 8
thanks cara :hugs:

omg so many series :eek3: gona watch the PVs first before deciding on which ones to watch :beard:

will watch:

Nichijou - Osaka and blue haired Chiyo :zomg: looks cute :h:
Hen Zemi
Hana-Saku Iroha - looks nice :h:
Kaiji 2 :woo:
30-sai no Hoken Taiiku :rofl:
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Maria+Holic Alive :nosebleed:
Seikon no Qwaser 2 - :teeth: need to finish the first series..
Deadman Wonderland
C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control - sounds really interesting, monies :teeth:
Steins;Gate - a txting microwave :rofl:
Kämpfer für die Liebe - hell yes :gah:
Spelunker Sensei
Norageki
Nana to Kaoru :rofl:

may watch:

Moshidora
Oretachi ni Tsubasa wa Nai
Sket Dance
Ao no Exorcist
Ano Hana

thats probably the most series ive ever tried to take on in one season :eek2: :cool:

you might like Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi (Worlds First Love) :giggle:

You seem to be missing Lotte's Toy in your to-watch list :sexface:

My list

Spoiler

So many :teeth:

Summer when there's a good few episodes :excited:
Fannymotion will be streaming C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, the first episode of which just aired a few hours back. :yes: Won't affect UK viewers other than that we'll probably end up with rip groups instead of gg's subs. Which I can certainly live with.

[EDIT] Scratch that, gg are subbing it anyway since Fanny are 'simulcasting' a whole week after the Japanese release...

I've been slowly making my way through the more 'meh'-looking offerings of the season, and it seems my first impressions were quite accurate:

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi - I'm not in the target audience, but even if I was I don't think I could put up with DEEN's QUALITY animation...

A-Channel - Wasn't necessarily bad, but even I'm beginning to get tired of these types of shows cropping up every season.

Sengoku Otome - Bonus points for making Nobunaga the good guy girl for once, but nothing spectacular.

Hoshizora e Kakaru Hoshi - Miles better than I expected, admittedly, but I could see it descending into a generic harem fast.

Not picking up any of those, at least not yet.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
More 1st impressions for you~! (Again lifted directly from my blog). Final batch will be up sometime over the next week when the rest of the shows come out/get subbed.

Yondemasuyo, Azazel-san TV (You’re Being Summoned, Azazel-san)

Spoiler

I actually really enjoyed this initial episode. Its got a really short running time (about 15mins) and as such has a really quick pace, never-resting on one gag too long. I was really pleased to see that the humour hasn’t really been toned back too much, Azazel is unrepentantly crude which just makes it even more fun! The characters are quite colourful, and even though there is a lot of shouting it didn’t get annoying because I was too busy giggling at their antics.

The animation is solid, character designs are odd but that just helps the comedy along. Voice acting is fantastic, I don’t have much comment on the music. Shall be keeping this on, I much prefer it to Hen Zemi TV.

Sket Dance

Spoiler

So I’m following the manga for this and was well aware of what laid in store for me plot wise when I opened the Sket Dance file. The plot of this initial episode is pretty weak (although arguably the mystery element was superior to anything Gosick has presented us with to date) but served its purpose as an introduction to the characters and setting well. Sket Dance takes a while to get going (like all Shounen Jump series really), but once you warm to the characters it’s a fun series very middle of the road but it doesn’t really do anything too offensive or wrong. Then again I have a well-known weakness & high tolerance for shounen tropes so perhaps I’m not the best person to be asking about this show!

I’m fairly pleased with the production values, everything seems to be done to a reasonably high standard, however what on earth were they thinking with that background music!? I normally take some sort of note of the BGM in passing, just generally noting if it works well with the atmosphere of the show, however in Sket Dance’s case the BGM demanded my attention throughout the episode simply because it is so fecking terrible! Seriously, its been a while since I’ve been so distracted by terrible BGM, it just stops short of making me want to mute the flipping episode. I hope they tone it back in the future. In terms of voice acting, I’m loving Sugita as Switch, but Hiroyuki Yoshino is going to take a lot of getting used to as Bossun he’s a lot more shouty than I had imagined in my head. Still overall I’m pretty happy with the adaptation, they seem to be doing quite well given the fairly average source material.

Spoiler

I don’t quite know what to make of this. On one hand its better than I was expecting, on the other that still doesn’t mean that it approaches what I normally term ‘good’. Certainly its the best looking Go Negai show I’ve seen to date thanks to Brains Base’s animation, and it has some really off the wall moments (old woman swinging her boobs like a lasso & huge metal penis sword fight thing are the ‘highlights’). However the whole thing just seems to be trying too hard and a lot of the humour misses its mark, although it is relentless in firing them out there so some did genuinely make me giggle.

The animation as I said, is good although the action scenes could have done with a bit more originality & interest. The whole feel of the show is really dated, like an elaborate parody of 70s gag shows it’s quite amusing! I loved the OP, it was really fun and I found myself singing along quite quickly. Voice acting is again a touch on the ‘we’re shouting so it must be funny!’ side, but it’s not too obnoxious. I’m going to give it another two episodes to see if the novelty value wears off.

Maria+Holic Alive

Spoiler

Its business as usual for SHAFT with this Maria+Holic sequel everything from S1 is back for S2……including Kanako’s irritating personality. The major problem with Maria+Holic is that its characters aren’t really all that interesting Mariya, Matsurika & God-san are the best of the lot and they often get sidelined in favour of squawky Kanako & her bland harmettes. This episode was reasonable enough, but a lot of the comedy fell flat for me it felt like they were just chucking things in for the sake of it, and if it wasn’t for SHAFTs signature SHAFTiness there would be absolutely nothing remarkable about the show.

Animation, as always, is good (as long as you’re a fan of SHAFT being SHAFT) the new OP has a pretty odd song choice, but I loved the animation a lot (not quite meido-guitar though). Cast is back so the voice acting is the same as S1 (ie: lots of shouting) essentially if you’ve watched S1 you’ll know what to expect from S2, and since I watched all of the 1st season I’ll be watching this one. It’s not the worst show in the world, but it’s not the best either……not SHAFT’s finest.

Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi (Worlds First Love)

Spoiler

So……BL! I went into this fully expecting a rerun of Junjou Romantica with sightly different characters, and I enjoyed the trashiness of Junjou so would have been alright with that, but Sekai-ichi Hatsukou actually turned out to be kind of good! I mean there was no smut at all (well aside from a flashback to the OVA) and the episode actually spent time developing the characters! Really does speak volumes about the usual quality of BL anime that I’m surprised at the writing was pretty good in this series. The setting of a shoujo manga editorial department is also interesting, I don’t expect the show to really go into this seriously like Bakuman, but it does provide plenty of entertainment value (and pink lots of pink).

The animation is pretty much DEEN they do their best bless them, but those character designs are just never going to be brilliant. Voice acting was good (helps that the script is actually well written & funny), music is……there. So pleasantly surprised, I was always going to watch this, but it’s still a relief to see that there is some scope for a good story rather than just smut!

Astarotte no Omocha! (Lotte’s Toy)

Spoiler

It could have been worse. It could have been a lot worse, and in a way I almost wish it had of been. Instead this felt rather middle of the road and ‘meh’. It took me two attempts to watch the whole episode, because my Crunchyroll stream got fed up midway through the 1st time round I know exactly how it felt too, Lotte’s Toy isn’t even terribad, it’s just boring it had a loli in a bath with an inflatable banana & didn’t do anything further with that! There was a world of potential for this show to be every kind of wrong going, but what we got feels like another tepid season of Zero no Tsukaima, with a younger version of Louise.

Animation is very flat and dull, direction is rather uninspired & fanservice was just there. Music was godawful as was the voice acting (why does Rie Kugimiya do that screechy high-pitched whine in these roles!?). Yet despite there being no redeeming features to this anime at all, it still could have been worse & perhaps if it had of been I’d have more to say about it!

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai II (The World Only God Knows II)

Spoiler

Well its back, and there is no real discernible difference between last season and this aside from the odd sounding OP (maybe it will grow on me). I’m not really a fan of TWGOK, I sat through the entire 1st season waiting for something to happen that would mark this series out as different from others of its ilk, only to be disappointed. Keima is still the archetypical loser male lead, and the girls he has to ‘capture’ are still just as 2D as the girls in his games. The girl in this arc is basically Sasaki from AzuDai in denial and I think I watched the episode half asleep since I don’t really remember that much about it!

Animation is just as good as S1, music is interesting for the most part (at least Manglobe seem to be putting effort into the OST if nothing else). I still don’t like the voice acting (Hiro Shimono is really grating on my nerves these days). Again its a case of ‘watched the 1st season, will watch the 2nd’, but I’m really not fond of TWGOK so if its watchable that will be good enough for me.

Toriko

Spoiler

So the 1st episode ended up being a crossover special with One Piece, and the Strawhat crew where probably the only thing I really liked about the episode (and even then it kind of felt like really sub par One Piece filler). I decided to give the 2nd episode (which is the 1st episode of Toriko proper) a go just to see if it appealed to me any more……but it didn’t. I just don’t get Toriko. It should appeal to me, its got the ridiculous premise & every shounen trope conceivable fired in there, but I still found myself bored stupid throughout the episodes. I don’t like the character designs, the characters themselves are dull, the world was amusing for all of 10 minutes and then got stupid and I just don’t see any scope for an interesting over arching plotline.

The animation production seemed to be pretty decent, but the character designs are just hideous! The OP song was amusing, but the BGM in the actual episodes is pretty crap……voice acting was decent enough, but once again way too much shouting for no reason. Looks like for the first time in quite a while I’ll be passing on a shounen show Toriko just isn’t my cup of tea.

Tiger & Bunny

Spoiler

I like this. I really enjoyed the first two episodes and it seems like Sunrise knows what it’s doing with the show. I really enjoyed the portrayal of the mass media, with all the advertising plastered over the heroes costumes & the reliance on big companies for sponsorship its like a cynical look at the importance of such things in modern sports. One of the best things about Tiger & Bunny is the fact it has actual adults in its lead roles no whiny teenagers, plus the writing is just excellent the world has been set up quite well and the show looks like it will spend ample time developing the characters; all very positive things so far!

The animation is excellent, although there is a touch too much obvious CGI for my liking still everything is nice and smooth & the character designs are interesting & varied. Voice acting is great so far & I also like the music OP is a bit dull though. Definitely looking forward to more from this show its off to a great start.

Steins;Gate

Spoiler

Random use of the semicolon aside, Steins;Gate got off to a really intriguing start I have no clue whats going on, but I like it! Like Chaos;Head before it, Steins;Gate starts out in a neurotic muddle lots of stuff is fired out at us through the grandiose ranting of our main character (a self-professed ‘Mad Scientist’). Things don’t add up, the timeline is out of sync and there is a creeping feeling of things just being ‘wrong’. The cinematography has much to do with this the colours are washed out, the focus jumps to odd things at random times & certain objects have an injection of bright colour that makes them seem not fully part of their surroundings. However its Kyouma’s constant chatter that really makes Steins;Gate interesting. He fires out lots of technobabble, and his paranoid claims about ‘The Agency’ make him seem like a lunatic, but Kyouma’s projected persona seems to be carefully crafted he wants people to believe he’s a Mad Scientist for whatever reason. Still its hard to determine just whats real & whats not in Steins;Gate, it will be interesting to see what they do with the introduction of a time travelling plot line.

Production values are solid, voice acting is excellent & the use of music creates a really interesting atmosphere. Steins;Gate is definitely a show to keep an eye on this season.

A Channel

Spoiler

Urgh. This was an utter chore to sit through not once did I crack a smile……why do people like shows like this, I just don’t get it. A Channel wants so badly to be the next K-ON! that it seems to have forgotten to try to create its own identity I hated K-ON! watching a poor imitation of the show was just unbearable for me. A Channel consists of three girls being insufferably nice to each other, with a fourth one tacked on to be the yuri stalker / stereotypical tiny moe character (complete with long sweater sleeves & a baseball bat). Not one of the characters has a personality outside of the tiny box of moe stereotypes, nor do they show any signs of developing one anytime soon. Urgh, just thinking about this show pisses me off.

The production values are average there’s nothing really noteworthy about the show and the character designs are pretty horrendous with giant oversized heads and stick like limbs. I can’t remember the music & the voice acting was unremarkable. Nothing could make me watch anymore of this!
Reply 56
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi - I'm not in the target audience, but even if I was I don't think I could put up with DEEN's QUALITY animation...

I'm going to neg you :mad:
Original post by Juno

Come on, even Cara didn't have anything nice to say about the animation. :hmmm:
Reply 58

Original post by Juno

It's Studio DEEN -they're not renounced for their pretty animation!
Reply 59

But it's my favourite :cry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending