The Student Room Group

Can't choose between Edinburgh and St Andrews!

Hi there,
I'm having trouble choosing between University of Edinburgh and University of St Andrews. I have offers for psychology from both unis that both require a 36 on the IB, and I have looked at both places and like them a lot. I live in a smallish city so I think that I can get used to either the bigger city / very small town.
I am a non-UK student, but I would like to work in the UK later on, if that makes a difference in what you would suggest. I honestly have no clue and therefore I am here to ask for your opinion --- which uni? And why?!
Any input would be great, I really am confused!!
Reply 1
I love this question :smile: I'm from Edinburgh originally and studied in St Andrews for two years, so it's one I like to try and tackle.

Edinburgh is the way forward as it's a much better place all round. There's loads more to do, the student scene is more vibrant (also much less cliquey and up itself) and the accommodation is very slightly cheaper in many cases. If you're non-UK and want to stay working in the UK after you're finished, I would say you are better off in Edinburgh simply because it has so much more to offer and you'll probably find a job there quite easily without having to move too far if at all. St Andrews has no meaningful employment outside of the university and academia, and even then the town is hellishly expensive to live in so most of the academic staff live elsewhere and commute in.

I would argue that Edinburgh is actually the better university, but many people will disagree. It has some truly brilliant, modern facilities whereas St Andrews just felt old-fashioned and pathetic in comparison.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks! I was leaning towards St Andrews, just because it seems smaller and less scary to start out with, but you have some good points that I haven't really considered. This is going to be harder than I thought!
As you said you only studied 2 years in St Andrews, did you transfer to another uni? Is that even possible in the UK?
Here is a thread about choosing between Edinburgh and St Andrews, and here is a thread with some general information about St Andrews. There are other useful threads 'stickied' at the top of the St Andrews subforum and I expect the Edinburgh subforum has similar things, although I've not checked.

My first bit of advice is usually to encourage people to visit the places they are considering. There's a list of other stuff I would advise you to consider here.
Reply 4
Original post by hiller
As you said you only studied 2 years in St Andrews, did you transfer to another uni? Is that even possible in the UK?

Yes and yes :smile:
Hey... I'm in the same situation as you. I have unconditionals for history at St Andrews and Edinburgh and have noo idea which one to go for. St Andrews does seem like the better University though? Blah. Can't decide :/ Good luck :smile: xx
Reply 6
Me too :smile: (Though I have to admit I'm considering beautiful, underestimated Glasgow too). St Andrews is a fantastic university but I don't know that it's right for me. I've lived in a small town by the sea my entire life and would like to try a city. Also, it's worth considering that though St A does brilliant in national league tables, that's a fairly recent development. And I recall that Edin does a lot better in international tables. But not trying to persuade you into Edin here. If anything, I'm trying to persuade myself out of St A - where many people: my father, careers advisor, random person who stopped me in the street! seem to think I should go.
I'd personally choose Edinburgh in terms of the place. Having a friend at university in St Andrews I can tell you it seems like there's not an awful lot to do there unless you're particularly interested in organised sports or walking. It's also rather out of the way in terms of public transport. My friend gets very unhappy when we can't go to visit her in St Andrews due to it being so out of the way for everybody else. So if you're intending to see old friends often I'd be inclined to go with Edinburgh. Unless you're not that bothered.

Edinburgh can be a little daunting to begin with but as someone who also lives in a pretty small town Edinburgh's not scary-city if you know what I mean. It feels more like a big town really.

I've also been told that the students at Edinburgh are a lot more varied than those at St Andrews in terms of interests etc. Though that might be B.S.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 8
I faced the same decision last year and opted for Edinburgh for the following reasons:

-WAY better in the international tables. (I went abroad to study at a university with a great reputation and st andrews is worse (!) than the university of vienna)

- much better exchange partners (Ivy League Schools like UPenn or Dartmouth in the States - St. Andrews Exchange Schools are not that impressive)

- an amazing Economics Department (Microeconomics Prof was nominated for the Econ Nobel Price)

- St Andrews was simply too small for me.

Now, I am SO happy I came to Edinburgh instead of St Andrews. I have a few lovely friends at St. A and visited twice - when I walk with them on the street, they literally greet almost everyone they see. I grew up in Vienna, Paris, Hongkong and Chicago - Edinburgh to me is already the smallest I can do.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending