The Student Room Group

English at Exeter or King's College London?

Poll

English at Exeter or King's College London?

I'm torn. What would you pick? I am leaning towards King's because I think it has the better, more interesting course and it would be amazing to study in London at such a good university, but I'm not sure how I will handle moving to such a huge, busy city and of course the cost is a factor too. Exeter, on the other hand, has better accommodation, a higher student satisfaction rate, with a campus student-y atmosphere. And it would also give me more opportunity to do French modules than the English course at King's, which I do want. But then I can't bear the thought of turning down KCL. Even though Exeter would probably suit me better.

What would you personally pick? If I can work out how to do a poll, I will make one. Thanks for any advice/opinions in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by :).
I'm torn. What would you pick? I am leaning towards King's because I think it has the better, more interesting course and it would be amazing to study in London at such a good university, but I'm not sure how I will handle moving to such a huge, busy city and of course the cost is a factor too. Exeter, on the other hand, has better accommodation, a higher student satisfaction rate, with a campus student-y atmosphere. And it would also give me more opportunity to do French modules than the English course at King's, which I do want. But then I can't bear the thought of turning down KCL. Even though Exeter would probably suit me better.

What would you personally pick? If I can work out how to do a poll, I will make one. Thanks for any advice/opinions in advance :smile:

I live just next to Exeter and it's amazing :smile: It really depends what you want from the Uni and experience I suppose. Exeter ain't that busy as a city, it's got great shops and my friend and I were just saying the other week how amazingly clean it was! Especially Princess Hay which is a truly beautiful shopping centre ^^... http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/images/other-buildings-and-locations/south-west/princesshay. At night it's really quiet and those glow things are on which is kinda cool :biggrin:
However it's very small... by the first year you'll probably have explored a lot of it, which obviously is not a problem but it's a bit different to somewhere like London obviously! The campus is all based on one site preeeety much and I have to say the accom is amazing xD

For me, I would say KCL (mostly because I got rejected xD) because I prefer the big city kinda thing... Though I can't tell you much a bout it :smile: and London is, well, London... :P

Hope that helped a bit!

OH plus, Exeter is really close to the sea if that's something which excites you :flower2:

EDIT: oh woops, know nothing about English with regards to those uni's either... sorry!
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't know how either ranks, and this might come across as racist- (it's not intended to be) but my friend had this problem but she decided against kings because it's such an ethically diverse uni as it is, but you are quite likely to have more foreigners studying english at somewhere like kings than exeter.
Reply 3
:).
OP
Oh I can't decide :frown: I wish the people who voted gave reasons why!
Reply 4
I'd go for Kings.

Studying in London is massively advantageous for English. British Library, Globe, West End, Bloomsbury Set, British Museum etc. etc.
those are only a few

You've also got the benefits of Kings' Student Union as well as all of the facilities and support of ULU (university of london union) - this means you have access to extra things e.g. Senate House Library (which is excellent).

If you're considering going into law, business or the media and journalism, living in london will be really handy for things like job placements.

I'm at UCL so I can't tell you anything about the Kings course (or Exeter's for that matter)

One thing to factor in is the cost. London is expensive to live in (my halls cost the earth) however in a recent survey it actually came out as the most cost effective place to live as a student (this is because its easier to get a part time job and because of the london living wage)

I have friends at Exeter who do enjoy it but I have heard that it can be quite 'rah' and a things to do can sometimes be a little limited.
That said, in terms of prestige, you can't go wrong with getting an English degree from either.

Good luck with your choice
Reply 5
OP
Original post by sundogs
I'd go for Kings.

Studying in London is massively advantageous for English. British Library, Globe, West End, Bloomsbury Set, British Museum etc. etc.
those are only a few

You've also got the benefits of Kings' Student Union as well as all of the facilities and support of ULU (university of london union) - this means you have access to extra things e.g. Senate House Library (which is excellent).

If you're considering going into law, business or the media and journalism, living in london will be really handy for things like job placements.

I'm at UCL so I can't tell you anything about the Kings course (or Exeter's for that matter)

One thing to factor in is the cost. London is expensive to live in (my halls cost the earth) however in a recent survey it actually came out as the most cost effective place to live as a student (this is because its easier to get a part time job and because of the london living wage)

I have friends at Exeter who do enjoy it but I have heard that it can be quite 'rah' and a things to do can sometimes be a little limited.
That said, in terms of prestige, you can't go wrong with getting an English degree from either.

Good luck with your choice

Thank you so much, that's so useful. :smile: How are you finding living in London? The only thing stopping me from firming King's is the fear of the stigma attached to London, with the cost and danger etc. Maybe just because I'm coming from a small town in the countryside, haha. But expenses aside, how is day to day life in London with things like transport, nights out, getting home etc? I'm sure I'll have to toughen up and become waaay more streetwise.
I would go for King's. I'm at KCL now studying English (nearly finished first year) and I LOVE it. The facilities are amazing, the modules are really interesting and the staff are extremely knowledgeable about their chosen areas.

I come from a tiny town in Wiltshire and was scared too about going to London, but it's not scary at all! You honestly get used to it so quickly and I cannot imagine myself living anywhere else.

I have a friend at Exeter studying English and he finds it a little boring there, though the course itself is good.

You can take French for the whole of the first year and I believe in the second and third year as one module. Plus they offer evening language classes with a big discount for KCL students!

There are so many student discounts around London that I don't find money a problem at all.

Safety-wise, I always travel with people and make sure I know how I'm getting home after a night out. As long as you are with at least a couple of other people, the night buses are fine (and are also fairly regular). No one I know has been attacked or anything and I live in the Great Dover Street Apartments, right near Peckham. Security is very high in student accomodation, too (massive security guards, swipe cards, keys, having to show student ID, sign-in and sign-out books, etc). KCL provide everyone at the start of the year with numbers for safe taxi services which I have found really helpful. Some services are very reasonably priced if you and your friends would feel safer getting a taxi home after a night out.

Transport is so so so good in London, too. At home the buses are generally every half an hour (typical countryside!) but on the tube trains are every few minutes, buses are often every 4-12 minutes and taxis are absolutely everywhere.

Hope that helps! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
OP
Original post by .PaperDoll.
I would go for King's. I'm at KCL now studying English (nearly finished first year) and I LOVE it. The facilities are amazing, the modules are really interesting and the staff are extremely knowledgeable about their chosen areas.

I come from a tiny town in Wiltshire and was scared too about going to London, but it's not scary at all! You honestly get used to it so quickly and I cannot imagine myself living anywhere else.

I have a friend at Exeter studying English and he finds it a little boring there, though the course itself is good.

You can take French for the whole of the first year and I believe in the second and third year as one module. Plus they offer evening language classes with a big discount for KCL students!

There are so many student discounts around London that I don't find money a problem at all.

Safety-wise, I always travel with people and make sure I know how I'm getting home after a night out. As long as you are with at least a couple of other people, the night buses are fine (and are also fairly regular). No one I know has been attacked or anything and I live in the Great Dover Street Apartments, right near Peckham. Security is very high in student accomodation, too (massive security guards, swipe cards, keys, having to show student ID, sign-in and sign-out books, etc). KCL provide everyone at the start of the year with numbers for safe taxi services which I have found really helpful. Some services are very reasonably priced if you and your friends would feel safer getting a taxi home after a night out.

Transport is so so so good in London, too. At home the buses are generally every half an hour (typical countryside!) but on the tube trains are every few minutes, buses are often every 4-12 minutes and taxis are absolutely everywhere.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thank you thank you :biggrin: that all sounds amazing. I was leaning towards King's already and what you've said is so reassuring! How is the accommodation? Would you recommend GDSA, or are any of your friends living somewhere else that you'd recommend? I was looking at the apartments as well as the Hampstead residence, but Hampstead seems so far out. I just want to live somewhere sociable where I'd meet lots of people, but then I've heard that in the apartments you could be living with people that aren't quite so sociable... I don't mind catered or self-catered so it's hard to narrow it down, there's so much choice! Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you so much, that's so useful. :smile: How are you finding living in London? The only thing stopping me from firming King's is the fear of the stigma attached to London, with the cost and danger etc. Maybe just because I'm coming from a small town in the countryside, haha. But expenses aside, how is day to day life in London with things like transport, nights out, getting home etc? I'm sure I'll have to toughen up and become waaay more streetwise.

No worries :smile: I was really apprehensive about coming to london too but I absolutely love it.
Strangely I feel safer walking around London than I do at home in my small town. There's always somebody around even if you have to be walking home at 4 am by yourself (wouldn't advise this of course!). I personally feel safer when there are lots of people about and all of the streets are lit up. Better than walking home deserted streets when it's pitch black
Transport is excellent, you're never more than 15-20 or so minutes walk away from a tube station in central london and there are lots and lots of night buses which are really useful. Oyster system is great too, and a lot cheaper than people think as you get a student oyster card which gives you a 1/3 off weekly, monthly or annual tickets. I'll normally get a 7 day oyster ticket once in a while which gives me unlimited tube and bus travel in zones 1 and 2 for under £20...

London IS expensive but not as expensive as I expected. it's very easy to live on a budget because of the diversity that's on offer. I make a shopping list and stick to it buying snacks and cereal bars so I can slip them into my bag and take them with me. I'll withdraw cash at the start of the week and use that for going out or eating out.
The big thing is it's so easy to get a part time job and lots can be flexible so you can work around your studies quite easily. Remember you get a bigger 'London loan' if you go to a London uni (mine is around a grand more than my friends at other unis) so that helps with living costs.

There are always student offers and deals around too :smile:
Thank you thank you :biggrin: that all sounds amazing. I was leaning towards King's already and what you've said is so reassuring! How is the accommodation? Would you recommend GDSA, or are any of your friends living somewhere else that you'd recommend? I was looking at the apartments as well as the Hampstead residence, but Hampstead seems so far out. I just want to live somewhere sociable where I'd meet lots of people, but then I've heard that in the apartments you could be living with people that aren't quite so sociable... I don't mind catered or self-catered so it's hard to narrow it down, there's so much choice! Thanks so much :smile:

GDSA is so lovely! My room is huge and I get on with my flatmates really well. It is very expensive, though, especially since it's self-catered. I would definitely recommend it though - had a really good experience with it. The bus stop is on the other side of the road to GDSA and Borough tube station is a 10-minute walk down the road. There is a pub called The Roebuck opposite which my flatmates and I go to quite a lot; it's fairly quiet during the day but often very busy in the evening and at night. The atmosphere is really relaxed and I like it there :smile:.

Stamford Street is the one everyone doing Arts and Humanities tends to put down as their first choice because they're so close to Strand Campus, but their rooms are tiny. Lots of them also complain about having to get up for breakfast when they want to stay in bed and feeling guilty when they eat out or miss a meal because they know that they've already paid for it in their accomodation fees.

King's College Hall is not too far from GDSA, but apparently it's quite a dangerous area (though I haven't heard of anything bad happening to students there) and transport is quite bad. One of my friends who lives there told me that she has to get the overground to Strand, which is a bit inconvenient.

Wolfson House is really really ugly haha. But apparently it's a very social and fun place to live! Although I hear there are shared bathrooms there, people tend to keep different hours and don't really have everyone queuing up for a shower or anything.

I have also heard some good things about the intercolegiates, but don't know many people living in them.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest