The Student Room Group

How clean is your uni room? Have I got OCD?!

OMG. So I recently visited a friend at uni..and nearly died when I saw her room.

Briefly:

Kitchen: Dirty dishes/mouldy food

Bathroom: wet/mouldy rug, over-flowing bin, toothpaste in sink, skid marks in toilet, hair in drain, dirty mirror and wet towel!

Room: Unwashed sheets/un-made bed, clothes/hair stuff on floor, general mess EVERYWHERE, food wrappers/rubbish everywhere. Photographs and frames and postcards etc stuck everywhere.

Obviously this would be classed as dirty..by ANYONE? RIGHT??

But when I tried telling my friend it was unhealthy she said it's "student living" and that I'm just OCD. And that my room isn't "homely" :frown: And worst of all that my plug-in air fresher is just suffocating :frown: She says I should live more like a student and stop being OCD but seriously is this seriously OCD behaviour on my part?

-Change bed sheets/cases every week
-Make bed every morning
-Change towels every 2/3 days
-Wash clothes every time I wear them apart from jeans/jackets/cardigans/jumpers
-Hoover every week with shake n vac mmm
-Clean bathroom floor with anti-bacterial wipes every week
-Dust every 2/3 days
-Clean toilet/bathroom everyday
-Open window every morning to air my sheets
-Constantly have air freshener plugged in but on low setting
-Generally put everything back in it's place when I'm done with it?! Like if I'm studying only my study stuff will be out and she thinks it's really weird that for example I always put my hair brush/drier/straighteners away when I'm done.

I just hate having clutter but now she's made me paranoid I have OCD?! My notice board had a year planner and some leaflets on it to make my room "studenty" but I hated it and finally ripped everything off and threw it away and now it's just plain with 2 photos and a religious thingy. Pictures attached. She says it's a symbolisation of my OCD. AHHHHHHHH!!!!! So I've uploaded pics of my room and kitchen as well and can you please reassure me that it's normal and not OTT :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think you have OCD. I'd be exactly the same if I had my own place. My bedroom is spotless, I hate clutter.
Reply 2
Original post by TeenageDream
I don't think you have OCD. I'd be exactly the same if I had my own place. My bedroom is spotless, I hate clutter.

<3 phew! she's purposely winding me up about everything. I hate long nails so trim mine every week..apparently this is OCD too! I think I need to ignore her for a bit :P
Mine varies...from messy to quite tidy. But mine at its best is unclean compared to some people who ALWAYS have a spotless room and is heaven compared to the people who's room is ALWAYS a tip. So i'd say i am in the middle.

I'd say your room is very tidy and doesn't have any clutter. I'd say your cleaner than the average student.

Nothing sounds to over the top though. Some people i live with hoover their rooms at least once a day, sometimes multiple times in a single day. They get the hoover out at like 4am sometimes. If you done anything like that, then i would call you OCD.
Reply 4
Original post by zedbrar
Mine varies...from messy to quite tidy. But mine at its best is unclean compared to some people who ALWAYS have a spotless room and is heaven compared to the people who's room is ALWAYS a tip. So i'd say i am in the middle.

I'd say your room is very tidy and doesn't have any clutter. I'd say your cleaner than the average student.

Nothing sounds to over the top though. Some people i live with hoover their rooms at least once a day, sometimes multiple times in a single day. They get the hoover out at like 4am sometimes. If you done anything like that, then i would call you OCD.

Haha I don't have brothers so imagined boys rooms to be DISGUSTING...but came to uni and realised boys generally have less stuff so are quite clean :smile: Girls tend to overdo it with fairy lights and candles and what not :-/

No wayyy I wouldn't do that to my flatmates but generally if I drop something on the floor I clean it with a dustpan and brush and pick up threads etc with hands lol :colondollar:
I don't care if my bedroom is messy because it's MY mess, MY germs, etc. Bathrooms and stuff though make me really obsessive about germs and cleaning - so much so that if I don't get an ensuite at uni, I'll be cleaning the bathroom for at least 30 mins before I use it. Fun. Not.
Reply 6
We have the same toothbrush. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by angelbones
I don't care if my bedroom is messy because it's MY mess, MY germs, etc. Bathrooms and stuff though make me really obsessive about germs and cleaning - so much so that if I don't get an ensuite at uni, I'll be cleaning the bathroom for at least 30 mins before I use it. Fun. Not.

Yeah I know what you mean but I still like to change my sheets etc because I don't like the idea of breathing in my own skin cells eeeee apparently dust is like 90% our own skin!!
Reply 8
Original post by racaha
We have the same toothbrush. :biggrin:

haha snap!! :wink: these pics are dated...I got a free electric tooth brush worth £160 for attending an oral B lecture :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by azn-wonder91
haha snap!! :wink: these pics are dated...I got a free electric tooth brush worth £160 for attending an oral B lecture :tongue:

:eek: £160 for a toothbrush?! I want one. :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by racaha
:eek: £160 for a toothbrush?! I want one. :frown:

Yeahh it's that Oral B triumph 5000...I would never pay that much for a tooth brush but some people have gum disease and the toothbrush is designed to help it progressing so I guess it's worth it for them!
Reply 11
Yeahh it's that Oral B triumph 5000...I would never pay that much for a tooth brush but some people have gum disease and the toothbrush is designed to help it progressing so I guess it's worth it for them!

Oh I see! I've just noticed you do dentistry, so I'll trust you that it's worth it! ;D
Reply 12
Original post by racaha
Oh I see! I've just noticed you do dentistry, so I'll trust you that it's worth it! ;D

Hahaha :wink: Trust me, I'm a doctor.
(Kinda, sorta :frown: )
Yeah I know what you mean but I still like to change my sheets etc because I don't like the idea of breathing in my own skin cells eeeee apparently dust is like 90% our own skin!!

Oh yeah of course, I change mine every week without fail :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hahaha :wink: Trust me, I'm a doctor.
(Kinda, sorta :frown: )

Hooray! I'll be sure to let you know if I have any toothy concerns. :biggrin:
To be honest, I'd say you were fairly average about cleanliness... I hoover, dust and use anti-bacterial spray in my flat on a nearly-daily basis when I have the time.

Conclusion: I'm a tad OCD, you're normal, and she's just a little trampy :s-smilie:

Edit: I LOVE your cutlery drawer! Green is my favourite colour :h:
(edited 13 years ago)
£210 of my money says it wasn't clean enough.
Reply 17
I wouldn't worry about having OCD, OP hehe. In fact, if you did, your room might be in considerable disarray. You would be so preoccupied moving things around all of the time that you would be so emotionally drained half-way through the process that you couldn't finish anything. Or, you would move nothing and leave it the way it is. OCD is all about patterns, which are often difficult or unthinkable to consider disrupting. Also, for obsessive compulsives whom share a hypochondriacal bent, you'd likely be very concerned about what chemicals that air-freshener is pumping out!

I'd say you're just neat and tidy! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
pahaha! only OCD soometimes!! :tongue:
I would much rather visit your flat than hers, by the sound of it! So you're tidy? That's not exactly a bad thing! (coming from one of the messiest people in the world.... :redface:)

Quick Reply

Latest