The Student Room Group

Further Maths for Physics Degree?

Hi,

I'm doing my AS Levels currently and at the start of the year I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I picked my fav. subjects:
Physics
Music Technology
English Language
Religious Studies

Basically I now know I want to do a degree in physics and I know my subjects are not the ones for it! :tongue:

To get into a uni to do physics, would I need to take AS Maths and AS Further Maths? I would drop two subjects but keep physics + another for A2.

I need some help and advice on taking Maths and Further Maths please... :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
100% do Further Maths and Maths.

Physics in University is Mathematics. You will definately have to take Mathematics to A-level. As for Further, you'll only need it for the Top Unversities, but regardleas you'll meet Further Maths in a Physics degree, but Maths will be taught on top of the degree.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Agreed. I have a Physics first without a Maths A level. It was pain!
Reply 3
Original post by tommowg
Hi,

I'm doing my AS Levels currently and at the start of the year I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I picked my fav. subjects:
Physics
Music Technology
English Language
Religious Studies

Basically I now know I want to do a degree in physics and I know my subjects are not the ones for it! :tongue:

To get into a uni to do physics, would I need to take AS Maths and AS Further Maths? I would drop two subjects but keep physics + another for A2.

I need some help and advice on taking Maths and Further Maths please... :smile:

Looking at the universities websites is probably the best course of action for you.
Reply 4
Have a look on the websites of universities you'll be interested in, it differs place to place. Further Maths isn't offered everywhere so I don't expect most places to "expect" it but it is definitely useful to a Physics degree. I think most places will be looking for Physics/Maths and one other subject at A-level.
Reply 5
Looking at your choices if you're thinking of doing a physics degree, you may be too stupid.
You would need Maths, 100%. Further maths isn't essential, but please, please do it. Maths isn't important in life; it is life.

As for your other subjects, do what you enjoy insofar as you can handle it. I would say if you're going to take Music technology, it can be taken as a 5th AS (I did it myself, and if you enjoy it it's no particularly taxing), though it's not highly regarded by universities.
there is alot of maths in a physics degree (alot of calculus which you learn at a-level) its a good idea to have at least as level maths.
Reply 8
Original post by Nymthae
Have a look on the websites of universities you'll be interested in, it differs place to place. Further Maths isn't offered everywhere so I don't expect most places to "expect" it but it is definitely useful to a Physics degree. I think most places will be looking for Physics/Maths and one other subject at A-level.

I know they want Physics and Maths at full A Level, I can only offer them AS Maths because I cannot do full A level Maths in one year (got to know C1 & C2 to do C3 & C4). That is why I'm thinking of Further Maths...... :confused:
Reply 9
Original post by tommowg
I know they want Physics and Maths at full A Level, I can only offer them AS Maths because I cannot do full A level Maths in one year (got to know C1 & C2 to do C3 & C4). That is why I'm thinking of Further Maths...... :confused:

Why can't you do Maths in one year? Also, you'll need A-level Maths for AS Further Maths regardless due to the Statistics/Mechanics modules.

As for the Pure side of AS Further Maths, it's basically a lot of knew topics without drawing too much on the old pure modules, such as Matrices and Complex Numbers. Though I can't vouch for this as it may be different on other Exam boards.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tommowg

I misread your OP - argh, sorry about that. You can certainly get Maths done to A2, though, but it will just take determination and taking matters into your own hands. I'm self-teaching A2 maths and a whole A-level in further maths this year, because I (correctly) thought it would be worthwhile if I wanted to do a Maths degree, which I decided over the summer. And it's challenging, but by no means impossible. I think You should ask for the AS/C3 books for over the summer and self-teach the whole thing, maybe get a tutor if you need to.
Reply 11
Original post by Killer Bean
You would need Maths, 100%. Further maths isn't essential, but please, please do it. Maths isn't important in life; it is life.

As for your other subjects, do what you enjoy insofar as you can handle it. I would say if you're going to take Music technology, it can be taken as a 5th AS (I did it myself, and if you enjoy it it's no particularly taxing), though it's not highly regarded by universities.

I will be starting A2 in Sep.
In Sep. I'm planning to do Physics and Music Technology at A2 and Maths and Further Maths at AS
Do you think this could get me into uni?
Reply 12
which unis are you looking at applying to?

edit: so you know, most unis ask for a level maths as a requirement for physics (imperial wants an A* in a level maths). i dont think C1, C2, FP1 and three applied modules would be what those sorts of unis would want.

if you cant do a level maths, you may have to look at a foundation year..
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tommowg
I will be starting A2 in Sep.
In Sep. I'm planning to do Physics and Music Technology at A2 and Maths and Further Maths at AS
Do you think this could get me into uni?

You'll be heavily handicaped on your University application without A-level Maths.
Reply 14
Original post by Killer Bean
I misread your OP - argh, sorry about that. You can certainly get Maths done to A2, though, but it will just take determination and taking matters into your own hands. I'm self-teaching A2 maths and a whole A-level in further maths this year, because I (correctly) thought it would be worthwhile if I wanted to do a Maths degree, which I decided over the summer. And it's challenging, but by no means impossible. I think You should ask for the AS/C3 books for over the summer and self-teach the whole thing, maybe get a tutor if you need to.

I could do A2 Maths in one year if I tried, but realistically thinking I couldn't do any type of further maths on top of that. I admire what you're doing.
I could possibly teach myself the A2 syllabus over the summer then sit C1 & C3 modules in January? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by tommowg
I could do A2 Maths in one year if I tried, but realistically thinking I couldn't do any type of further maths on top of that. I admire what you're doing.
I could possibly teach myself the A2 syllabus over the summer then sit C1 & C3 modules in January? :smile:

dont take my word for it entirely, but im fairly sure youd be better off getting your full a level in maths rather than having AS maths & further maths
Original post by tommowg

Yeah, that's fine. I don't know of any universities that require further maths, so if you can self-teach C1, C2, M1 and get started on C3 over the summer, you could theoretically catch up with your normal class, and join them as normal, doing C4 as normal and sitting C1, C2, C3 and maybe M1 in January, and M2 and C4 in June. Of course it might be a bit of a bitch tainting your summer with work, but if you take it bit by bit, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get it done while doing everything else you should be doing over the summer too.

Of course that would leave you without any further maths, but don't worry, it'll be fine - as I've said, nowhere requires it, especially if you explain your situation in your personal statement. Physics, Maths and Religious studies is a perfectly strong combination for a physics degree (along with Music tech/English Language if you feel inclined to take either to A2. The other subjects may not be directly pertinent to physics, but universities tend to appreciate the conscientiousness and well-roundness implied by their prescence), and along with a strong personal statement, there's no reason you shouldn't get offers from some decent universities. :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by RK92
dont take my word for it entirely, but im fairly sure youd be better off getting your full a level in maths rather than having AS maths & further maths

Yeah I'm getting that vibe.
I might do Physics and Music Technology at A2 with Maths AS & A2 :biggrin:
A2 Physics with intensive A-Levels in Maths and Further Maths would be your best bet - the other three subjects are essentially useless to you.

Maybe Physics A2, Maths (AS+A2), Music Tech A2, FM AS, then a gap year for FM A2?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by tommowg
Yeah I'm getting that vibe.
I might do Physics and Music Technology at A2 with Maths AS & A2 :biggrin:

I think you should continue maths and f.maths to full A2, a physics degree is most likely going to be very challenging and without the mathematical prowess it will make the journey even more difficult

I heard of someone who dropped out of theoretical physics after 1.5 years in because the maths was too hard. Then he reapplied for a maths degree and passed :confused: who knew it, the maths in physics could be more conceptually difficult than even a maths degree :O

Latest

Trending

Trending