The Student Room Group

How to get Economics Work Experience.

I think this article, sums it up quite well really.

Would there be anything to add?

Also summed up extra curricular activities pretty well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
It is okay, but maybe a little vague, for example I am the director of finance for a young enterprise company (soon to be a limited company), how would I relate this to economics, because I think it's worth mentioning but I certainly don't want to mention anything randomly
In reality for getting on an undergraduate course there is no need to do particular work experience, even for the top places. You are better just showing on your personal statement how you can see the economics in whatever hobbies or extra curricular things you do.

Most direct economics work experience is only open to undergraduates (2nd yr and over). There is not a lot of it about, but there are a small number of internships available in the Government Economics Service, the Bank of England, and private consultancies / think tanks tend to offer the odd place here and there. They are very competitive though and the government ones have cut their numbers available recently.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
In reality for getting on an undergraduate course there is no need to do particular work experience, even for the top places. You are better just showing on your personal statement how you can see the economics in whatever hobbies or extra curricular things you do.

Most direct economics work experience is only open to undergraduates (2nd yr and over). There is not a lot of it about, but there are a small number of internships available in the Government Economics Service, the Bank of England, and private consultancies / think tanks tend to offer the odd place here and there.

I'm in year 12 and I've managed to get some work experience at an economics consultancy over the summer. Although aspects of it may be useful, it's a shame that I won't really be able to do anything of significance whilst I am there since I haven't studied Economics at Uni. On the other hand, it should be good for learning about what economists do and if I write in my personal statement about the skills I have applied/gained whilst being there, it could benefit my application too.
Reply 4
Work experience + personal statements

work experience may or may not help in regards to a personal statement
but
you can make any work experience sound like you learn economics from it

e.g. working in natwest branch on your high street, you can easily relate house prices and inflation and effects of this on peoples banking habits and you can comment on this and think of how economics played a part in your experience there... loads of ways to do this

and im sure there are so many ways you can think of how economics relates to your work experience even at a hospital, dentists, accountancy firm, mums work, local zoo

just remember to relate everything to economics, if you cant do that then dont mention it/dont write it
Reply 5
Hmm in my experience you don't need experience but maybe this is for one of those more prestigious uni requirements :/
Reply 6
Original post by pooo
Hmm in my experience you don't need experience but maybe this is for one of those more prestigious uni requirements :/

No you're right even the top universities are not looking for work experience involving economics. Just academic ability and passion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending