The Student Room Group

What do employers look at more?

This may seem like a weird question, but, if I did an Undergraduate 3 year degree and then a separate 1 years masters in a related disipline, when applying for a job in the area that my Masters is directly related too, would I be in a better position to get the job than someone who may have a full 3 year undergraduate degree in that same area.

Lets say for the purpose of this, both candidate for the job have exactly the same attributes and are 'equal' except for the degrees (BSc + MSc vs BSc)

I hope ive made my question clear :P

Thanks
Your question is clear but very few on here can answer as they have no experience in the job market and I include myself in this. For what it's worth, nowadays most employers do favour experience and doing an extra year won't have much of an effect!
Reply 2
3 years with a placement year is your best bet.
Having practical experience in a related job (paid or voluntary) in the field you have studied will probably make the biggest difference overall. Because there are so many graduates in the job market these days having actual experience of doing related duties is what makes you stand out.

Just because you have a degree or two it doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a job after you graduate.
Experience of more than a year in the field you want to work in.

That tops any degree no matter where it is from.
Your education will be one aspect of your application, relevant postgraduate qualifications won't hurt your application of course but this in and of itself won't guarantee you get the job ahead of someone who only has an undergraduate degree. As people say though, experience is always valuable.

Source: information from people I know who do hiring at their companies, as obviously I have no first hand knowledge.
Reply 6
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Experience of more than a year in the field you want to work in.

That tops any degree no matter where it is from.

This.

The extra year of debt is not worth it as you are highly unlikely to get a job anyway.
Original post by thewaythingsare
Having practical experience in a related job (paid or voluntary) in the field you have studied will probably make the biggest difference overall. Because there are so many graduates in the job market these days having actual experience of doing related duties is what makes you stand out.

Just because you have a degree or two it doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a job after you graduate.

I agree
Thanks.

Shame my degree course doesn't offer experience, but my insurance has a year in industry :/
Original post by Right Guard 3.D
Thanks.

Shame my degree course doesn't offer experience, but my insurance has a year in industry :/

Nothing stopping you looking for a placement or a undergrad program with a company in the desired field.

Trust me, employers like pro-active students who seek out jobs before they graduate. if you dont try you wont know.
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
Nothing stopping you looking for a placement or a undergrad program with a company in the desired field.

Trust me, employers like pro-active students who seek out jobs before they graduate. if you dont try you wont know.

Would that mean working for them while doing the undergraduate degree, or as soon as I graduate I go straight to them and get a job almost instantly where I gain experience for a few years and then go out to find a career?

Thanks
Reply 11
During your first year (if not, definitely your 2nd) look for summer jobs etc.
Most major companies will have summer vacancies, also a lot which you wont have heard of. There are a lot of websites out there which can be helpful.
Another idea would to be ask lecturers whether they need assistance in the summer, I had a 2 month project with one of my lecturers, very beneficial and I imagine it looks great on the CV, even if it isnt work at the university itself, lecturers will have links to business' in the real world.

Lastly, you could apply for loads of jobs (graduate schemes is generally where the ££££ is) and if for any reason you are unsuccessful in getting one, just continue studying and try again a year later.
Original post by 340970
During your first year (if not, definitely your 2nd) look for summer jobs etc.
Most major companies will have summer vacancies, also a lot which you wont have heard of. There are a lot of websites out there which can be helpful.
Another idea would to be ask lecturers whether they need assistance in the summer, I had a 2 month project with one of my lecturers, very beneficial and I imagine it looks great on the CV, even if it isnt work at the university itself, lecturers will have links to business' in the real world.

Lastly, you could apply for loads of jobs (graduate schemes is generally where the ££££ is) and if for any reason you are unsuccessful in getting one, just continue studying and try again a year later.

Just looked at your sig and the link + adivce you gave me= very helpful!

thanks!

I enquired to 3 companies about undergrad placements today. I just hope that they reply :biggrin:

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your views, Im starting to have second thoughts about planning for a Master's now....
Reply 13
Original post by Right Guard 3.D
This may seem like a weird question, but, if I did an Undergraduate 3 year degree and then a separate 1 years masters in a related disipline, when applying for a job in the area that my Masters is directly related too, would I be in a better position to get the job than someone who may have a full 3 year undergraduate degree in that same area.

Lets say for the purpose of this, both candidate for the job have exactly the same attributes and are 'equal' except for the degrees (BSc + MSc vs BSc)

I hope ive made my question clear :P

Thanks

They look at your breasts, if male, they look at your ability to go down on them.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending