The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by EbonyJane
Hi :smile:,
Im planning on applying for medicine (2012)
Studying biology, maths, chemistry, physics
Got A,B,B,B respectively in jan exams
Resitting B's in the hope of A's in summer, which gives me 9 exams ):

I have 9 exams anyway - we had no January modules.
Original post by Straight up G
Nah we've got big responsibility this year. You could argue AS levels are more important for a medicine student than A levels (likewise you could argue the other way, so lets call them equal).

We've got to spend a lot of time on school work with the accelerated course (we get 5 extra weeks of A2 after the AS exams), and obviously have to do everything possible to make our applications stand out this year. For the first time, this summer, I will have a lot of work to do.

Same with us - after the May half term we start the A2 courses :frown:

We have to finish all of Edexcel C3 Maths in the six or so weeks between the May/June half term and the End of school year :frown:

Got a stupid end of book test the first Maths lesson back in Year 13 :frown:
Reply 1282
Original post by sijgill
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Business studies (NOT B-TEC) and General Studies.

I'm predicted A, A, A, A, B respectively

I cashed in C, B, AA (i did C1 and M1 in jan), C and B in exams. Respectively

I have got 30/40 in Biology Coursework - No more re-sits
and 30/40 in Chemistry Coursework - doing some more resits

All of the teachers are trying to scare possible medical applicants with the workload and commitment they have to do.
Not really sure if I can get the grades.
I am at one of the top schools in my city and they have a very high success rate with medicine applicants. So i hope i can make it.

Do you think with Uni fee's going up, less people will apply to uni's. And even possible making entry requirements even lower . (lowest i have found is AAB at Keele and Sheffield) ???

How can you cash in already, when we haven't sent off our UCAS applications?

I think it may make less people apply, expecially compared to last year, as no one wanted to take a gap year then! I doubt it'll make the entry requirements any lower, as there will still be people who can afford it with the grades. Oh, and many people who go in to medicine may pay what they can't afford as they believe they'll earn it back in time. :smile:
Reply 1283
Original post by thegodofgod
Same with us - after the May half term we start the A2 courses :frown:

We have to finish all of Edexcel C3 Maths in the six or so weeks between the May/June half term and the End of school year :frown:

Got a stupid end of book test the first Maths lesson back in Year 13 :frown:

We do also (though I still have 1 exam after May half term.)
Original post by liviaaa
How can you cash in already, when we haven't sent off our UCAS applications?

I think it may make less people apply, expecially compared to last year, as no one wanted to take a gap year then! I doubt it'll make the entry requirements any lower, as there will still be people who can afford it with the grades. Oh, and many people who go in to medicine may pay what they can't afford as they believe they'll earn it back in time. :smile:

What is this cashing in thing? I've heard people talk about it but know nothing about it :tongue:

I guess a few less may apply but then again loads of amazing applicants got rejected this year and being rejected has just fueled me to try harder and get in next year instead. So there may be a few less applicants but the competition may be even harder :/
Reply 1285
Original post by Quackers93
What is this cashing in thing? I've heard people talk about it but know nothing about it :tongue:

I guess a few less may apply but then again loads of amazing applicants got rejected this year and being rejected has just fueled me to try harder and get in next year instead. So there may be a few less applicants but the competition may be even harder :/

Cashing in is where you reveal your AS grades when submitting your UCAS form. Although they don't say it, it's implied that they'll favour people who've cashed in their AS grades, as it's proof that they are good students and is in fact, rather than just predictions which are an opinion. Also, because so many people cash in now, if you don't they assume you're resitting and look down on it.

As you'll have your A2 grades when you apply next year though it won't affect you :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Cashing in is where you reveal your AS grades when submitting your UCAS form. Although they don't say it, it's implied that they'll favour people who've cashed in their AS grades, as it's proof that they are good students and is in fact, rather than just predictions which are an opinion. Also, because so many people cash in now, if you don't they assume you're resitting and look down on it.

As you'll have your A2 grades when you apply next year though it won't affect you :smile:

Ahhhh right I did that without even knowing. We were just told we had to put them down anyways :tongue: how nice of my college lol
Reply 1287
Ahhhh right I did that without even knowing. We were just told we had to put them down anyways :tongue: how nice of my college lol

Hahaaa :smile: Well as long as they're good there's no reason not to!

Where did you apply last year, and will you apply to the same or different this time? :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Hahaaa :smile: Well as long as they're good there's no reason not to!

Where did you apply last year, and will you apply to the same or different this time? :smile:

I applied to St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee. Got one interview and that was at St. Andrews. Definatly applying there again I absolutely loved it i even enjoyed my interview weirdly enough :smile: Probably going to apply to Aberdeen again but not Dundee or Edinburgh. I went to a ucas fair and the woman from Edinburgh was pretty rude to me after I said I'd been rejected in a way that "If you weren't good enough first time you'll never be good enough for edinburgh" so that put me off them :frown: (also because they were rude to me on the open day as well - and that was the main admission tutor :/

Not sure where else I'm going to apply still having a look :smile: I know I dont want completely PBL, not my style really :tongue: what about you, where are you looking at?
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
Oh I was going to say haha!

Do you find the biology mark schemes overally specific to get a mark? :/

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Sometimes I clearly know what I'm talking about and have all the knowledge, but because I didn't say whats exactly on the markscheme I lose marks. So annoying!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa
Awh no :/ I admire you for trying again, if I don't get in I'll just take up my 5th option - midwifery/nursing I think..

If you don't mind, why do you think you didn't get in? Lack of work experience/grades etccc? Just wondering to try and help my application! Thanks

It was my GCSE's is what they said
2A* 1 A 6B's and a C

Southampton dont give individual feedback but it was really competitive this year
Peninsula said my UKCAT wasnt in the top 30% but they'll give me an interview next year if i get my grades regardless of my UKCAT

but the other two
it was Academics essentially
Which is fair enough
When i get my A level grades (predicted 2A* 2A) I should be grand
So which uniz are you guys planning 2 apply in?
Original post by joemullally
2A* 1 A 6B's and a C

Southampton dont give individual feedback but it was really competitive this year
Peninsula said my UKCAT wasnt in the top 30% but they'll give me an interview next year if i get my grades regardless of my UKCAT

but the other two
Which is fair enough

I missed out too this year :frown: Peninsula said the same that my UKCAT wasn't good enough! Do they not look at your UKCAT if you already have your a2s? And Southampton had me on hold for 3 months before getting a rejection I'n early April :frown:
Reply 1293
2A* 1 A 6B's and a C

but the other two
Which is fair enough

Original post by CrazyDaisy123
I missed out too this year :frown: Peninsula said the same that my UKCAT wasn't good enough! Do they not look at your UKCAT if you already have your a2s? And Southampton had me on hold for 3 months before getting a rejection I'n early April :frown:

Word of warning, Peninsula now make A*AA offers, when I went to the open day they said they would expect all re-applicants to have A*AA at achieved alevels.
Original post by ryan118244
Word of warning, Peninsula now make A*AA offers, when I went to the open day they said they would expect all re-applicants to have A*AA at achieved alevels.

Is that for 2012 entry? They were only AAA this year :frown: ahhh!
Reply 1295
Original post by CrazyDaisy123
Is that for 2012 entry? They were only AAA this year :frown: ahhh!

Yea it's for 2012 entry. They are seriously upping their entry requirements again for next yr. Tbh a lot of med schools are now.
Original post by ryan118244
Yea it's for 2012 entry. They are seriously upping their entry requirements again for next yr. Tbh a lot of med schools are now.

Im applying, BSMS, Peninsula, Southampton and Keele.
I've retaken 1 biology as exam, so i can only apply there!

Are you aware of them upping their entry requirements?
Reply 1297
Original post by oHellno
Yeah, it's ridiculous. Sometimes I clearly know what I'm talking about and have all the knowledge, but because I didn't say whats exactly on the markscheme I lose marks. So annoying!

Yes same! I find myself towards the end of the revision period learning the markscheme...
Reply 1298
2A* 1 A 6B's and a C

but the other two
Which is fair enough

Oh okay :s-smilie: Good luck for next year then!
Reply 1299
I applied to St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee. Got one interview and that was at St. Andrews. Definatly applying there again I absolutely loved it i even enjoyed my interview weirdly enough :smile: Probably going to apply to Aberdeen again but not Dundee or Edinburgh. I went to a ucas fair and the woman from Edinburgh was pretty rude to me after I said I'd been rejected in a way that "If you weren't good enough first time you'll never be good enough for edinburgh" so that put me off them :frown: (also because they were rude to me on the open day as well - and that was the main admission tutor :/

Not sure where else I'm going to apply still having a look :smile: I know I dont want completely PBL, not my style really :tongue: what about you, where are you looking at?

Original post by cute_wish
So which uniz are you guys planning 2 apply in?

Okay cool!

I'm thinking about:

-Nottingham
-Newcastle / Durham
-Sheffield
-Imperial

I'm not 100% sure though. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending