The Student Room Group

Revision - starting today :S English

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Nor did I :tongue: It has all of the poems in. :smile:

I just do past papers as advised by my teacher.
You don't really need to memorise all the features of a poem, just how to pull them out.
I seem to have a problem in exams though, I keep ASSUMING.
For example in a Science exam, "How does yeast cause bread to rise?" and I just mention Anaerobic respiration without even talking about CO2 and get 1 mark for it :frown:
You need to treat the examiner like a baby :tongue:
Reply 21
I only started revising today too. Here are the subjects I'm taking exams in, along with what I got in my mocks (basically what I can expect to get with no revision):

A English Language (will require a fair bit of perfecting exam technique)
B English Literature (this, I'm going to revise the most)
A* Russian (I need to learn my presentation, but I'll spend a few hours on it at most / no revision required for Reading and Listening)
A* French (same as Russian)
A* History (I only have one exam and I need 66/100 UMS for an A*, so I'll just go over my notes - shouldn't take any longer than a few hours)
A* Geography (this will actually require a fair bit of revision - probably second behind English Literature)
A* Chemistry (most of it is self-explanatory; not much revision required other than reading through a revision guide)
A* Biology (same as Chemistry)
A* Physics (same as Chemistry)
A* Maths (lol, I'm going to enjoy those 1h45m exams :biggrin:)

Overall, English Literature and Geography are the subjects that I'm actually going to revise for properly. I'm going to get a fair bit of sleep over the Easter holidays :wink:.
Reply 22
May I ask, for those who are doing the short stories in their English Literature Exam - how do you structure you comparison essays. I am really confused in how to do that.

Thanks in advance

Good luck everyone :biggrin:
Original post by und
I only started revising today too. Here are the subjects I'm taking exams in, along with what I got in my mocks (basically what I can expect to get with no revision):

A English Language (will require a fair bit of perfecting exam technique)
B English Literature (this, I'm going to revise the most)
A* Russian (I need to learn my presentation, but I'll spend a few hours on it at most / no revision required for Reading and Listening)
A* French (same as Russian)
A* History (I only have one exam and I need 66/100 UMS for an A*, so I'll just go over my notes - shouldn't take any longer than a few hours)
A* Geography (this will actually require a fair bit of revision - probably second behind English Literature)
A* Chemistry (most of it is self-explanatory; not much revision required other than reading through a revision guide)
A* Biology (same as Chemistry)
A* Physics (same as Chemistry)
A* Maths (lol, I'm going to enjoy those 1h45m exams :biggrin:)

Overall, English Literature and Geography are the subjects that I'm actually going to revise for properly. I'm going to get a fair bit of sleep over the Easter holidays :wink:.

WITHOUT revision?
Bloody hell.
Reply 24
Original post by dabest2500

WITHOUT revision?
Bloody hell.

Well, I did do perhaps about 30 minutes for each subject, but not in a particularly organised way. I can't wait until I'm doing my A levels - no more English!
Original post by und
Well, I did do perhaps about 30 minutes for each subject, but not in a particularly organised way. I can't wait until I'm doing my A levels - no more English!

Wow, you're a genius :smile:
Reply 26

Wow, you're a genius :smile:

I wouldn't call myself a genius, because I'm fairly poor at subjects such as English - I just find that most of the sciences come naturally to me. I think you really have to excel at everything to be a genius, and an A* at GCSE doesn't even require exceptional talent.
Original post by und
I wouldn't call myself a genius, because I'm fairly poor at subjects such as English - I just find that most of the sciences come naturally to me. I think you really have to excel at everything to be a genius, and an A* at GCSE doesn't even require exceptional talent.

You get effortless A*s, tell me, what's your secret :biggrin:
Reply 28

You get effortless A*s, tell me, what's your secret :biggrin:

Very good teachers, I guess. And it's far from effortless. We put in a fair bit of work in class, and it pays off: we don't need to do tons of revision to cover missing gaps in our knowledge. In other words, I don't have a secret :smile:.
Original post by und
Very good teachers, I guess. And it's far from effortless. We put in a fair bit of work in class, and it pays off: we don't need to do tons of revision to cover missing gaps in our knowledge. In other words, I don't have a secret :smile:.

Ah, concentrating in class.
Wish I did that early on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending