The Student Room Group

Manual to Automatic??

Heyy there :smile:

well I learnt to drive in a manual car, but am getting an automatic, so I just wondered how long did it take you to get used to driving an automatic?

I know automatic's are meant to be easier to drive, but isn't it hard trying to remember that you have no clutch or gear stick??

thanks for your advice :biggrin: :h:
Reply 1
It'll take you about 20 minutes.

There's a little bit more to driving an auto than just "sticking it in D" and forgetting about the gearbox, you know...
Reply 2
There's no adjustment time, imo automatic is like a go cart so if my 10yo bro can drive a go kart, you can drive automatic, no problem.
I'm interested to know why you'd buy an automatic car though?
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
There's a little bit more to driving an auto than just "sticking it in D" and forgetting about the gearbox, you know...

Lies. :awesome:
Original post by proud nd luvin it
Heyy there :smile:

well I learnt to drive in a manual car, but am getting an automatic, so I just wondered how long did it take you to get used to driving an automatic?

I know automatic's are meant to be easier to drive, but isn't it hard trying to remember that you have no clutch or gear stick??

thanks for your advice :biggrin: :h:

Biggest thing I found was to remember to use ONLY your right foot on the pedals. Last time I had an automatic was a Land Cruiser Amazon down south and as I pulled away from the hire place (fortunately unseen) I used my left foot, depressing the brake as if it was the clutch - cue ABS and my head almost butting the windscreen...
Aside from that, remember to may need to depress the brake when starting as well as when selecting D, when you park use the handbrake and the P setting (depending on what the individual model recommends) and it's probably worth checking out the override gears - another thing I needed with the Land Cruiser, although that was on dirt tracks in the Falklands.
I did keep going to change gears, chances are you'll find yourself almost changing gears a few times until you get used to not having to, depends how used to driving a manual really.
Original post by Naomiimoan
There's no adjustment time, imo automatic is like a go cart so if my 10yo bro can drive a go kart, you can drive automatic, no problem.
I'm interested to know why you'd buy an automatic car though?

I haven't, it's my parents car :biggrin:
Reply 6
It will take no time at all to get used to it. Once you've been driving auto for a while, you'll never want to drive manual again.
Original post by loz957
It will take no time at all to get used to it. Once you've been driving auto for a while, you'll never want to drive manual again.

Bahaha yeah :biggrin: even though I do enjoy driving a manual, but at least I can drive either if I need to :smile:
There's nowt to an auto when you remember your left foot is not needed. And so long as you've spent some time in a manual, changing gear is a skill you never really lose.
The main difference with an automatic compared to a manual is that you drive on the break more in an automatic. As soon as you put the car in drive the car will start moving very slowly. You have to make sure you always have the break pressed before you do anything in an automatic. The other danger in an automatic is hitting the wrong pedal, like if you want to break but you hit the gas instead. Other than that its just so much easier than a manual.
Reply 10
Original post by mountainmetman
Biggest thing I found was to remember to use ONLY your right foot on the pedals. Last time I had an automatic was a Land Cruiser Amazon down south and as I pulled away from the hire place (fortunately unseen) I used my left foot, depressing the brake as if it was the clutch - cue ABS and my head almost butting the windscreen...

Pro Tip: The easiest method I found to avoid that mistake is to lean your seat back and steer with your left foot.

Quick Reply

Latest