The Student Room Group

Is there a such thing as a 'Soul Mate'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alison1992
I don't think soul mates exist, you can be in love but it's highly unlikely that some external governing force is dictating who you are going to be with, so when people say 'the one is out there' they're not, someone will be but i firmly believe it could be anyone, it's all about timing, and on another note, men and women aren't equal, neither are they ever going to be, we can have equal opportunities and we do pretty much now, but biology dictates different strengths and weaknesses.

This, whole heartedly.
Original post by Keese
I think most people that are in a stable, steady, loving relationship will say yes. And those that aren't will say no. (generally speaking)

Whilst I agree this is probably true, I am in a stable, loving relationship and I think I'd say no. Well, not in the strictest sense. I believe there are people we're going to be more compatible with, and I don't see how people who stay together for 50, 60, 70 years aren't soul mates, but I don't think there's only one person out there for everyone. So I think I'd say there isn't such a thing as *a* soul mate.
I hope so.

I want mine. :moon:
(edited 13 years ago)
No I don't think so.

But then, I've never been in love/been loved back so who cares what I think eh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Countmein
More luck than you've had with punctuation. :awesome:

good to know :cool:
Reply 25
What? You want to suck mine?

Keep walking hoe. :hand:

Yes. Let's do it, my house or yours? Or we could rent a hotel room. I think, as you instigated, you best bring the condoms and lubricant.

On topic, the existence of soul mates presupposes the existence of a soul. A concept I find horrendous in it's existential implications and therefore discard. Now, to use a loose definition of soul mate as a perfect partner, then yes that is indeed theoretically possible. To find someone who completely clicks with you, understands and unconditionally loves you.

It's also theoretically possible for every atom in my body to jump five metres to the right.
Reply 26
Original post by Turnerf
that would suggest love. and what is love??

When your feelings towards someone or something are as strong as hate, but the complete opposite
Reply 27
Original post by Fusilero
Yes. Let's do it, my house or yours? Or we could rent a hotel room. I think, as you instigated, you best bring the condoms and lubricant.

On topic, the existence of soul mates presupposes the existence of a soul. A concept I find horrendous in it's existential implications and therefore discard. Now, to use a loose definition of soul mate as a perfect partner, then yes that is indeed theoretically possible. To find someone who completely clicks with you, understands and unconditionally loves you.

It's also theoretically possible for every atom in my body to jump five metres to the right.

I don't use condoms.

I like spreading my seed. :teeth:
Reply 28
I don't think so. I used to believe it but then I read the bible and I found out that God doesn't actually believe in soulmates so it just went away.
Reply 29
I don't use condoms.

Something must have went wrong at birth me thinks.
Reply 30
I don't use condoms.

You better not have Herplol then :holmes:
Reply 31
What? You want to suck mine?

Keep walking hoe. :hand:

LOL :rofl3:
Reply 32
Original post by Neomaster121
I won't vote but i will say this

I hope there is

it would be nice ^__^

I know a couple who's been together for over 50 years. I had a little chat with the old lady when her husband got admitted in the hospital. She told me he is her first love and they got married early. She said both of them think they are soul mates. Stories like this make me wanna believe that there is such thing as a soul mate. I think it's very sweet!
Reply 33
Original post by Turnerf
that would suggest love. and what is love??

Baby don't hurt me...

On the actual topic at hand, I guess I sort of do believe in soul mates. Maybe more because it's a nice thing to think there's someone out there perfect for you who you could meet one day, rather than concrete logic, but oh well.
Reply 34
Sure, probably. I enjoy hearing the argument that you'd never find your soulmate in the same city and country. 'cause I didn't. :awesome:
No.
Reply 36
It's like you being her rock and she being your rock. It's pretty cool.
Reply 37
Yes. Everyone is basically the same very very deep inside, so whoever you fall in love with becomes your soulmate. Neat-o.
Reply 38
Original post by Cicerao
Sure, probably. I enjoy hearing the argument that you'd never find your soulmate in the same city and country. 'cause I didn't. :awesome:

Yep. It's not in the country/city you're living in. I've always believed that and will carry on lol.
Original post by cezz_18
I know a couple who's been together for over 50 years. I had a little chat with the old lady when her husband got admitted in the hospital. She told me he is her first love and they got married early. She said both of them think they are soul mates. Stories like this make me wanna believe that there is such thing as a soul mate. I think it's very sweet!

Same here a bond like that really is rare in my opinion but would be beautiful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending