The Student Room Group

has anyoneever had a consultation with a plastic surgeon?

I've got one tomorrow, and im terrified. I'm only sixteen, and im worried he makes me feel like an idiot

Scroll to see replies

You create some bizarre threads.
Reply 2
Why are you doing it then?
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
I've got one tomorrow, and im terrified. I'm only sixteen, and im worried he makes me feel like an idiot

Unless you're American, then you're wasting your money. It costs about £250 for a 40 minute consultation, at least it does with Rhinoplasties, and no self-respecting surgeon would operate on a 16 year old. Judging by your username, is it lipo by any chance?
Original post by hatemylife
Unless you're American, then you're wasting your money. It costs about £250 for a 40 minute consultation, at least it does with Rhinoplasties, and no self-respecting surgeon would operate on a 16 year old. Judging by your username, is it lipo by any chance?

rhinoplasty, i know i'm quite young but its bothered me for years
rhinoplasty, i know i'm quite young but its bothered me for years

Well I've been researching rhinoplasties since I was in year 8 - I'm 19 now. As crushing a truth as it is, and I know just how disheartening it is, it is very unlikely a surgeon will operate on you. Not only from a moral point of view in the sense that you are not mature enough (plastic surgeons do actually have to ascertain if the client is of a stable mind before operating) but also the fact that you simply have not fully grown yet. There is no point in 'fixing' it only for to continue to grow and undo all of the surgeon's work, and also create various complications in the process. It's also very possible that as you're in the middle of puberty, your nose bones/cartilage isn't strong enough to withstand such an invasive operation.

You'll just have to wait. Besides, to the topic at hand, there's nothing to fear regarding the consultation (not that I've had one myself) All they do is assess your nose, potential procedure, what you want doing, what's possible, and some will take pictures and manipulate them on computer to show you the outcome of whatever he/she decides to do.
Well I've been researching rhinoplasties since I was in year 8 - I'm 19 now. As crushing a truth as it is, and I know just how disheartening it is, it is very unlikely a surgeon will operate on you. Not only from a moral point of view in the sense that you are not mature enough (plastic surgeons do actually have to ascertain if the client is of a stable mind before operating) but also the fact that you simply have not fully grown yet. There is no point in 'fixing' it only for to continue to grow and undo all of the surgeon's work, and also create various complications in the process. It's also very possible that as you're in the middle of puberty, your nose bones/cartilage isn't strong enough to withstand such an invasive operation.

You'll just have to wait. Besides, to the topic at hand, there's nothing to fear regarding the consultation (not that I've had one myself) All they do is assess your nose, potential procedure, what you want doing, what's possible, and some will take pictures and manipulate them on computer to show you the outcome of whatever he/she decides to do.

Well,actually, in my research I have found several cases where seventeen year olds have been operated on, and also, in a girl, the nose stops growing at the age of fourteen or fifteen
Reply 7
I've had a consultation with an nhs plastic surgeon so I'm not sure how similar it would be, but he basically read my paper work to make sure I was actually eligible asked me some questions about what I wanted, looked at the area for a bit before explaining what he could or couldn't do and tried to make sure I had realistic expectations.
I have had one. Not for nose though and I am 18. I felt a little patronised. I went on my own and he kept going on about how I need my parents there to make the decision. While I'm aware it's important to have their support, at the end of the day it is my decision as I am legally an adult. I actully had given it a lot of thought for about 18 months and didn't just rush into it.

But, apart from that, he seemed very good.

Are you going alone or taking a parent?
Well,actually, in my research I have found several cases where seventeen year olds have been operated on, and also, in a girl, the nose stops growing at the age of fourteen or fifteen

Well, as I say, I've never seen any examples of such a young patient, but if you have then I'll take your word for it. You must appreciate, however, that a procedure on such a young person would carry more risks than if it were on a perfectly healthy 20 something, and surgeons have their own reputation to consider and will often shun more difficult cases. I hate to patronise you in case you know all of this, but surgeons have also been known to turn clients away simply because they don't think there is anything wrong with their nose. So if your nose isn't excessively abnormal, for want of a better word,be prepared to be rejected.

Yes, I ama man and had a nosejob and hated the results and wish I never did it, complete waste of 4000 punds and time and effort etc. I would highly advise not to do it. The surgeon wants your money so why would he want to make you feel like an idiotl, if anything he will make you feel at ease.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, I ama man and had a nosejob and hated the results and wish I never did it, complete waste of 4000 punds and time and effort etc. I would highly advise not to do it. The surgeon wants your money so why would he want to make you feel like an idiotl, if anything he will make you feel at ease.

Out of curiosity, did you go with an individual surgeon or a company like Harley Medical Group or TRANSFORM?
Why aren't you having liposuction if you need to lose some weight?
Original post by Jmzie-Coupe
Why aren't you having liposuction if you need to lose some weight?

Because i can do that through exercise and diet. There's no way to improve my nose without surgery.
had my boobs done. they won't make you feel an idiot. might sound like they're patronising you a little though because I'm sure they'll give you the whole "are you ready blah" speech
good luck!!
I've gone to an individual surgeon.

I have attached some pictures of my nose, perhaps that will help?

I don't think the problem lies with your nose.
I've gone to an individual surgeon.

I have attached some pictures of my nose, perhaps that will help?

I meant the guy who posted anonymously :smile: but those pics aren't good for judging your nose. Need straight on ones and profiles ones, but from those I would say that there is little wrong with your nose that could warrant a nosejob, certainly amongst those who exist in the little online world of rhinoplasties :tongue:
Original post by VisualKiddy
I don't think the problem lies with your nose.

you're really really nasty!!!
a few more pictures, you might find useful?

Judging from the middle picture, the only procedure I could see is removal of the bump, which, incidentally, is one of the more graphic and gorey :frown:
Judging from the middle picture, the only procedure I could see is removal of the bump, which, incidentally, is one of the more graphic and gorey :frown:

Yeah that's what I want done. Would it be closed rhinoplasty?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending